Roger federer=greatest sportsmen of all time

f3dor

Guru
I honestly think so.

25 straight semi final in grandslams, beaten pete sampras record with 16 grand slams, will soon beat the longest ever run at number 1.

Today although it was only the first round he showed why hes the G.O.A.T

His drop shots were deadly, he does it on all surfaces.

Plus tennis imo is the most complete sport bar boxing. Speed, coordination, endurence, power, strenth, agaility, flexablity, it has it all.

Name me a better sportmen?

JReb1

Mentor
Federer is the best (also my current favorite player) tennis player I've ever seen. I've been watching tennis since the late 70's and played it in the 80's. Ivan Lendl was my fav in the 80's and Jim Courier, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi were my favorite players of the 90's and early 2000's. Roger Federer is easily the most complete and graceful player I've ever watched play and he's also a humble man that takes nothing for granted and is really great to his fans.

Some Fed haters will say Nadal is better but it's just his style and being a lefty with ridiculous spin that gives Roger fits, especially on clay. It's so hard for a right handed player to adjust to playing a great player that's also a lefty. The left handed player has a huge advantage because because he doesn't have to change his game like a right handed one does. Every great tennis player has a player that gave them fits because of their styles. If Nadal was as good as Federer than he'd be in every final like Roger is. Both players are fine examples of White athleticism and I hope they meet in the FO finals once again and Roger can finally dethrone the clay court king.

j41181

Master
There are even Federer detractors who'd point out the level of competition Fed's facing. While Lendl and Sampras faced several rivals during their era, Fed didn't have a true rival until Nadal came along. Another strong argument is that Fed never faced a true serve-and-volley player (Sapmras was quite a shell already in 2001).

Still, despite these alleged arguments, Federer is unquestionably tennis' greatest player, and one of the best ever in all of sports.

Matra1

Mentor
For a guy who is supposedly in decline Fed is having a good month. He was a finalist in Toronto - losing to Andy Murray - and he won in Cincinnati against a surprising Mardy Fish. Both are Masters events. That is, all the top men are required to play, and they are considered just below a Grand Slam in importance.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Roger Federer dazzled the crowd at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. He executed another between the legs shot which a mesmerized John Isner failed to handle. He is on to meet Andy Murray in the final.

In other news, Roger's name was recently brought up in a lawsuit which alleges he gave inside information to the head of IMG which was used to wager on the 2007 French Open final. IMG is Roger's management company and a big player in tennis. The lawsuit is against IMG, not Roger. Tennis is hypersensitive to gambling, and whether it has the potential to be a full blown scandal is yet to be seen. The lawsuit looks a little bogus right now. More on the topic: Faith in Federer Can't Keep Tennis, IMG Clean From Scandal

Great hustle on display in addition to terrific shot making:<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7HZgPAtL0" target="_blank">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7HZgPAtL0</a>

Matra1

Mentor
Djokovic beat Federer in straight sets to win the ATP tournament in Dubai. That's twice in a row Djokovic has defeated Federer without conceding a set. The Serb has really upped his game in the past six months or so. I'd say he looks like the best player in the world right now.Edited by: Matra1

Matra1

Mentor
Just a quick heads-up. Federer against Nadal at the Sony Ericsson at 7pm ET on ESPN2. The winner plays Djokovic in the final.Edited by: Matra1

darthvader

Guru
Unfortunately the match between federer and nadal was pitiful as federer had his ass handed to him by nadal. Yesterday's match between djokovic and nadal was the complete opposite as nole won his 26th consecutive match and still remains unbeaten this year. The match was a thriller and could be the new rivalry in tennis. I for one said it before on this board that federer has at least two more slams in him. Of course after friday's loss to nadal there was the usual discussion about federer's decline and this is the end of the road for him. Then again alot of people (me included) wrote sampras off until he won the us open in 2002. I even wrote agassi off until he raised his game to a whole new level resulting in maybe the greatest second act in tennis history. Federer's skill and talent are still there. No doubt about it. Mentally could be a different story even though he insists he is still hungry as ever but he is the only person who knows. At times it seems he has lapses in concentration as evidenced in friday's loss against nadal as well as the three straight losses against djokovic. I don't know if it's loss of confidence or disinterest but the tenacity does not seem to be there. At this stage though I have to say he cannot beat nadal or nole in long rallies. He has to shorten those points because he commits so many unforced errors against those two. I mean the amount is just staggering.

darthvader

Guru
I am hoping roger federer wins this french open. I feel he truly needs to win this tournament to furthur cement his legacy. This is the toughest surface and also the only grand slam that he has not won twice. Furthurmore he needs to win this tournament just to disprove alot of people who are saying he is declining. I am sure federer hears these arguments every day along with the fact that nadal and djokovic are the kings of tennis which nobody can argue with at this point. Obviously nobody knows how federer feels but I am pretty sure he must be bothered that nadal and djokovic (especially him) are dominating the game and that he hears it everyday. Federer says he wants to be number one again which at this point is difficult considering his age and the level of competition he will be facing. But how far he goes in the french open as well as the other grand slam tournaments will go a long way in answering that question.

Matra2

Master
Just when it looked like Federer was on his way out he wins two tournaments in as many weeks. Last week he won in Basel, Switzerland, and today in Paris in front of a highly pro-Tsonga crowd he won in straight sets. This is a Masters 1000 tournament (those are the biggest outside the 4 Grand Slams) and in winning it Federer joins Andre Agassi as the only two players to win both Paris tournaments. (The other being the French Open, of course).

Matra2

Master
Astonishing performance by Federer against Nadal at the ATP championships - the final tournament of the year. He won 6-3 6-0 playing as close to a perfect match as I've ever seen, with 28 clean winners. I don't thnk I've ever seen Nadal "bageled".

icsept

Master
Nadal still leads the head to head 17-9, which is the only blemish on Federer's career. However, now that Djokovic is dominating Nadal, it will shut some people up who want to say that Nadal is the greatest ever. Ultimately it comes down to grand slam titles, and I don't believe Nadal will catch him. Federer leads 16 to 10.

Matra2

Master
Federer just beat Tsonga for the second tournament in a row to win the ATP World Tour Finals (ie top eight players in the world only). He's now won that tournament six times and hasn't lost since the semi-final of the US Open.:hail:

If he can continue this form he will almost certainly win another Grand Slam.

foobar75

Master
Federer looked great to close out the year, compared to his burned-out rivals Nadal and Djokovic. When it comes to 3-setters and playing indoors, he looks unbeatable, like the Roger of old. But the jury is still out on the big GS matches, especially the high stakes ones such as semis and finals.

I hope Roger can carry this form into 2012 and win at least one more major.