Riley Moss

jacque

Guru
Any updates on Moss and his injury? Trying to find a timeline on his return. Gotta see him on the field asap. Denver had some DB issues game one.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Moss is practicing again and was listed as questionable for last week's game but didn't play. It was mentioned in post #70 of the Week One thread, hard to find I know as it quickly gets lost among the large number of posts.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Moss is practicing again and was listed as questionable for last week's game but didn't play. It was mentioned in post #70 of the Week One thread, hard to find I know as it quickly gets lost among the large number of posts.

This is very exciting news. We are all just so anxious to see him play the cornerback position. Hopefully he can not only make some plays
but stay healthy. It's been a tough year for so many of our guys and the season has just started a couple of weeks ago. Riley Moss is very
important to again proving that the Caste System is false. Good luck to him either this weekend or next.

jacque

Guru
Apparently broncos CB2 Mathis was a dumpster fire and was the worst graded player in the entire nfl per pro football focus, gifting Jimmy G a passer rating or 150+ when targeted. This could be Moss’s time to shine, especially if Mathis has another bad week.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Hoping to see Moss active this Sunday! No pressure or anything lol but he’s a huge caste buster.

Warhawk_46

Master
Hoping to see Moss active this Sunday! No pressure or anything lol but he’s a huge caste buster.
Well it is impossible to be worse than Mathis who he would replace. I think the Denver DWF was be pleasantly surprised when Moss starts to play very very well.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well it is impossible to be worse than Mathis who he would replace. I think the Denver DWF was be pleasantly surprised when Moss starts to play very very well.

Very well said brother. I'm beyond pumped to see him eventually as a starter making plays on a weekly basis!

jacque

Guru
Moss is finally a full participant in practice after being inactive week two. Expect at minimum, a special teams debut. Honestly wouldn’t mind if he didn’t start at CB week 3 given he’ll be going up against Tyreek Hill and Waddle, and the last thing a white CB needs is their first game trying to cover the most unstoppable duo in the nfl.

jacque

Guru
Riley moss did not play in week three, the first week he’s been active. Blessing in disguise if you ask me, as the Dolphins dropped 70 effing points on the broncos. Moss essentially avoided the embarrassment, and another week of horrible broncos secondary play should mean he gets to play next week.

Guarantee if moss was playing, the 70 points would’ve been Moss’s fault according to DWFs. Instead, Damarri Mathis, possibly the lowest graded player in pff history, gets embarrassed, and hopefully benched next week.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Riley moss did not play in week three, the first week he’s been active. Blessing in disguise if you ask me, as the Dolphins dropped 70 effing points on the broncos. Moss essentially avoided the embarrassment, and another week of horrible broncos secondary play should mean he gets to play next week.

Guarantee if moss was playing, the 70 points would’ve been Moss’s fault according to DWFs. Instead, Damarri Mathis, possibly the lowest graded player in pff history, gets embarrassed, and hopefully benched next week.

Glad he did not play today. Thanks for the update. Total spot on assessment of how things would of happened if he indeed did play.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Drew Sanders didn't play the first two games and had one assist today so apparently played just a little bit. Just wait -- Josey Jewell and Alex Singleton will be the main targets of the critics.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Drew Sanders didn't play the first two games and had one assist today so apparently played just a little bit. Just wait -- Josey Jewell and Alex Singleton will be the main targets of the critics.
Well you know that Singleton and Jewell did a piss poor job of covering those outside receivers for the Dolphins, so obviously they were responsible for at least 50 of the points given up. I hear that the torches and pitchforks are already out.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Riley Moss's playing time is about to "skyrocket" according to this article. Sean Payton also calls him "extremely athletic." Let's hope it's not just coachspeak/bs and that he does start getting some snaps. It would be nice to see Drew Sanders start getting more than the occasional snap, too.

For context: the Broncos' defense ranks dead last against the run, surrendering 160.0 YPG. Unless things change, in a tilt rife with playoff implications, they stand to get gashed by Cleveland's two-headed attack of Kareem Hunt and Jerome Ford.

So, enter Skinner. And, too, enter third-round rookie defensive back Riley Moss, whose playing time is similarly set to skyrocket.

“For all these young guys, you play, you gain confidence, then you’re ready to play more," Payton said of Moss. "You see growth, and sometimes, it’s quicker than others. It’s good to have him contributing. He’s extremely athletic and he’s smart.”

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We have been waiting to see him get his chance all season. Very excited if he says what he means. It sounds promising!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I saw an article the other day that claimed Denver had the worst draft of any team in '23. But Moss had surgery and didn't get an opportunity, and Drew Sanders was also very much underused. Rookies can't produce if they're not on the field.

I expect Sanders to replace Josey Jewell if the Broncos don't re-sign him, and Moss should get plenty of playing time this coming season as they have one good starting corner and a bunch of worse than mediocre backups. The Broncos traded too much to move up to take Moss to do a total screw job on him. And anyway they got a bargain taking him in the third round as if he had the right melanin he wouldn't have lasted past the first round.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This Broncos beat writer thinks the team will try to work Moss into the starting rotation this season:

The 2024 season may also make a concerted effort to advance Moss into more playing time. The Broncos traded up to take Moss out of Iowa in the third round last year, but his rookie season was thwarted by a training camp abdominal surgery. He did return to contribute on special teams, but he was drafted with the idea of eventually becoming a starting outside cornerback.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I believe this analysis is accurate. Though many DWFs are already writing him off, Moss hasn't even had a chance to play yet. Hopefully they'll be two White starting CBs in the NFL this season, for the first time in over 40 years.

3 Broncos players who could be nice surprises in 2024

2. Riley Moss, cornerback

Because of the fact that he basically only played special teams as a rookie, I don't think anyone in Broncos Country expects all that much out of Riley Moss this coming season. But there's reason to believe that the Broncos have been planning on a big role in 2024 for Moss from the moment the trigger was pulled on him being drafted in 2023.

The Broncos traded multiple picks to move up and get Moss in last year's draft, including a 3rd-round pick in the 2024 Draft. The team used a 3rd rounder to draft Moss, and they traded 3rd and 4th-round picks on top of that to get him. They are clearly banking on him playing a bigger role than just on special teams.

Moss was an outstanding corner at Iowa, and the hallmark of his game was taking the ball away. For much of his career with the Hawkeyes, it was Moss and the defense who provided the best "offense" for Iowa. He finished his collegiate career with 11 interceptions, two forced fumbles, and 26 passes defensed. He had three total defensive touchdowns.

The Broncos traded up to the 83rd overall pick to get Moss last year. The fact that people in Broncos Country and around the league have been clamoring for someone to be signed or drafted to start at the outside cornerback position is very odd, considering it would be an admission of failure on Moss before he's even had a chance to go out there and play.

Moss is in line to win the starting cornerback position opposite Pat Surtain, and he could be one of the team's "nicest" surprises.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I have faith in a breakout year for Moss. He will have Jim Leonhard as his DB coach!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have faith in a breakout year for Moss. He will have Jim Leonhard as his DB coach!

I will never forget watching Jim Leonhard as a player. The guy was usually the most athletic player on any team that he was on. He
could run like a cheetah and jump like a kangaroo. Add in his intelligence and you have an all around player. Riley Moss can learn
alot from him helping to coach him! Couldn't ask for more!