Pete Rose

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Riggins44

Master
The persecution of Pete Rose continues as his lifetime ban was once again upheld, this time by MLB's new commissioner Rob Manfred.

Another reason to like Donald Trump: He says Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame. Damn right he does:

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/12/donald_trump_rips_mlb_says_pete_rose_belongs_in_ha.html

This begs the question: Are there any members of the baseball HOF who have committed serious crimes? What's the most serious crime committed by a member of the HOF? With all the people in there surely someone most have been caught doing something pretty bad.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Charlie Hustle should've been in Coopertown long ago. The pompous commie-shh-ner "Mansdead" is a typical windbag corporate stooge.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This begs the question: Are there any members of the baseball HOF who have committed serious crimes? What's the most serious crime committed by a member of the HOF? With all the people in there surely someone most have been caught doing something pretty bad.

Orlando Cepeda was busted in his native Puerto Rico in 1978 trying to deliver five pounds of weed and was sentenced to five years imprisonment yet he still made the Hall of Fame despite having borderline credentials without even taking into account the arrest.

Pete Rose has no more chance of having his lifetime ban lifted by the hypocrites who run baseball than Charlie Manson does of being granted parole.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The persecution of Pete Rose continues as his lifetime ban was once again upheld, this time by MLB's new commissioner Rob Manfred.

Another reason to like Donald Trump: He says Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame. Damn right he does:

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/12/donald_trump_rips_mlb_says_pete_rose_belongs_in_ha.html

This is a tough one for me. As a kid I was a huge Cincinnati fan. They were my favorite team and Pete Rose was my favorite player. When I made my first little league team and I got to choose my number, I chose #14, Roses' number!

Rose is a person difficult to understand. I don't think he ever drank or did drugs and played the game the way it should be played. Like every game was his last. However, he was a horrible husband and father. Cheating on his first wife, publicly! It was very demeaning to his first wife. Should these things make him ineligible for the HOF? No, but it's hard to feel bad for him not getting in because he clearly knew that if he got caught gambling he would be ineligible for life. There's a sign in every MLB clubhouse that states this.

Yes, MLB is hypocritical, but MLB being that way didn't force Rose to gamble on baseball. Pete knew the rule and ignored it and got caught.

Should we let everyone who ignores the rules, laws, etc. get away with it?

I think Pete Rose the player should be in the HOF, but it's difficult to get past how stupid he was.

Why couldn't he just obey the rule?

I just don't know. As I said this has always been a tough decision for me, if it were up to me. I'm glad it's not.

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
What did Rose do that was so bad? If he placed bets on his own team to win I don't see anything wrong with that. If he placed bets on the other team to win that's something else entirely, but as far as I know nobody ever even accused him of throwing a game.

PHillisFan

Master
Rose should be in HOF. Gambling is no worse than being a coke head and still getting into the HOF. Just ask Lawrence Taylor.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Very selective naming of players by Rose when it comes to speed. He names Hank Aaron but Aaron had average speed; he stole 240 bases in a 23 year career, while Ty Cobb, disparaged by Rose as not "athletic" by comparison to the blacks of Rose's day, had 897 in his career.

Stolen bases aren't the only measurement of speed but it's a pretty good one. Roberto Clemente had just 83 stolen bases in 18 years, while Cleon Jones (Cleon Jones?? he was far from a star) had just 91 stolen bases in 13 years, yet both are also cited by Rose along with Aaron. Babe Ruth, often portrayed by the anti-White media as little more than a fat slob, stole 123 bases.

There was also no shortage of slow black players during the '60 and '70s, the heyday of black players in MLB. Willie McCovey, George Scott, Willie Horton and others were among the very slowest players during that time.

But I won't be too hard on Pete, who looks and sounds like he's aged quite a bit of late. He was never an intellectual or anything close to it, just a great White jock who lived to play baseball. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but it still looks like he's not going to get in while he's alive, if ever.

Very selective naming of players by Rose when it comes to speed. He names Hank Aaron but Aaron had average speed; he stole 240 bases in a 23 year career, while Ty Cobb, disparaged by Rose as not "athletic" by comparison to the blacks of Rose's day, had 897 in his career.

Stolen bases aren't the only measurement of speed but it's a pretty good one. Roberto Clemente had just 83 stolen bases in 18 years, while Cleon Jones (Cleon Jones?? he was far from a star) had just 91 stolen bases in 13 years, yet both are also cited by Rose along with Aaron. Babe Ruth, often portrayed by the anti-White media as little more than a fat slob, stole 123 bases.

There was also no shortage of slow black players during the '60 and '70s, the heyday of black players in MLB. Willie McCovey, George Scott, Willie Horton and others were among the very slowest players during that time.

But I won't be too hard on Pete, who looks and sounds like he's aged quite a bit of late. He was never an intellectual or anything close to it, just a great White jock who lived to play baseball. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but it still looks like he's not going to get in while he's alive, if ever.

This was part of Rose's act: A White guy with limited athleticism who did it with desire and hustle. I've seen Rose quoted, "I have no athletic ability." And "I run pretty good for a White man." He said things like this often, especially late in his career.

One of his biographers noted that Rose was an excellent athlete, lasting a long time in top form and missing few games. Rose also had a home run swing when he wanted to use it. Rose could play second base, third base, first base, left field or right field. This biographer noted that Rose played down his athletic ability. Again, part of his act was "black players have more talent than me."

Rose may have thought this would make the press like him. The writers did favor Rose because he was a good interview.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This was part of Rose's act: A White guy with limited athleticism who did it with desire and hustle. I've seen Rose quoted, "I have no athletic ability." And "I run pretty good for a White man." He said things like this often, especially late in his career.

One of his biographers noted that Rose was an excellent athlete, lasting a long time in top form and missing few games. Rose also had a home run swing when he wanted to use it. Rose could play second base, third base, first base, left field or right field. This biographer noted that Rose played down his athletic ability. Again, part of his act was "black players have more talent than me."

Rose may have thought this would make the press like him. The writers did favor Rose because he was a good interview.
Reminiscent of the m.o. of another star athlete in Cincinnati (where Rose played the bulk of his career), namely one Cris Collinsworth, as shuck and jive as it gets when it comes to downplaying his athleticism and career.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
It’s true that one good way to get press as a white athlete is to claim you are unathletic.

Too bad Scotty Miller can’t race tyreek hill. He said he was faster, be amazing if he beat him in a race. Course it will never be allowed, but dare to dream.