Pete Crow-Armstrong

Cubs #1 Prospect looks likely to get a call up in September.

As exciting as Crow-Armstrong's enhanced offensive upside is, it pales in comparison to his defense. Scouts give top-of-the-scale grades to his center-field skills, as he exhibits tremendous range from gap to gap with his combination of plus speed and precision reads and routes, and he completes the package with solid arm strength. He's aggressive in the outfield and on the bases, stealing 32 bags in 43 tries last season.

Biographical Information[edit]
OF Pete Crow-Armstrong was the 19th player selected in the 2020 amateur draft, by the New York Mets out of Harvard-Westlake High School in Los Angeles, CA. He signed quickly, agreeing to a signing bonus of $3.359 million. He passed up an opportunity to attend Vanderbilt University in order to sign. He was considered the top defensive outfielder in that year's draft and a potential Gold Glove winner. Playing for the USA junior national team, he was one of three All-Star outfielders at the 2019 U-18 Baseball World Cup (alongside Darryl Collins and Robert Hassell), played in Busan, South Korea. The US won Silver.

He only played briefly in the Mets system, as the minor leagues were shut down by the Coronavirus pandemic in 2020, and he was limited to just 6 games with the St. Lucie Mets of the Low-A Southeast in 2021. He did hit .417 during that brief stint, before he tore the labrum on his non-throwing shoulder, ending his season prematurely. He was on the injured list when on July 30th he was traded to the Chicago Cubs in return for SS Javier Baez, P Trevor Williams and cash. He made his debut in the Cubs' system in 2022, first with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans of the Carolina League. He hit .354 in 38 games to earn a promotion to the South Bend Cubs of the Midwest League on May 31st. He was then named to play for the National League team in the 2022 Futures Game; one of his teammates was 2019 USA teammate Hassell. He then hit .287 in 63 games for the South Bend Cubs of the Midwest League to finish the season at .312/.376/.520 in 101 games, with 20 doubles, 10 triples and 16 homers. He also scored 89 runs and drove in 61. He also picked up a minor league Gold Glove Award for his fielding work in center field.

He took part in the Cubs major league spring training in 2023 as a non-roster invitee. He was named to play in the 2023 Futures Game as well.

Both of his parents are accomplished actors, including for his mother Ashley Crow a role as the mother of the main protagonist in the 1994 baseball film Little Big League.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Next Jim Edmonds / Trout?

I sure hope he follows in their footsteps. Mike Trout had a chance to be the greatest baseball player of all time. Injuries have really hurt
but no doubt at the very least he will be a top 5 player ever to live. Let's hope Crow Armstrongs body can hold up better over his career!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Next Jim Edmonds / Trout?
Maybe Jim Edmonds, but certainly not Mike Trout. The GOAT through the first 6 years of his career. Trout was ahead of the likes of Ruth, Cobb, Mantle and Mays in terms of WAR. Trout probably the GOAT anyway. He was just that good. We will not ever see another Trout for years to come. No one is close!
Trout is 6 2' 235. Crow is 5'11 184. Not only is Trout the GOAT. He's a BIG GOAT!
Crow is still in the minors at 21 years old. Trout made it to the league at age 19. By the time Trout was 21 he already hit 62 HR's, stole 86 bases while being caught 12 times. An astounding 88% success rate. Almost 200 RBI, scored over 250 runs and batting over .300 and carrying the classic 300/400/500 slash line.
Now Crow could very well go one to approach Trout's stats if he has a long career as Trout has had so many injuries and had to endure the Covid shortened year. Trout as mentioned is without a doubt the greatest player of ALL time for the first 6 years of his career and probably the GOAT anyway.
I hope Crow becomes a great MLB player, but he'll never be another Trout! JMO.

Maybe Jim Edmonds, but certainly not Mike Trout. The GOAT through the first 6 years of his career. Trout was ahead of the likes of Ruth, Cobb, Mantle and Mays in terms of WAR. Trout probably the GOAT anyway. He was just that good. We will not ever see another Trout for years to come. No one is close!
Trout is 6 2' 235. Crow is 5'11 184. Not only is Trout the GOAT. He's a BIG GOAT!
Crow is still in the minors at 21 years old. Trout made it to the league at age 19. By the time Trout was 21 he already hit 62 HR's, stole 86 bases while being caught 12 times. An astounding 88% success rate. Almost 200 RBI, scored over 250 runs and batting over .300 and carrying the classic 300/400/500 slash line.
Now Crow could very well go one to approach Trout's stats if he has a long career as Trout has had so many injuries and had to endure the Covid shortened year. Trout as mentioned is without a doubt the greatest player of ALL time for the first 6 years of his career and probably the GOAT anyway.
I hope Crow becomes a great MLB player, but he'll never be another Trout! JMO.
Great point, Carolina Speed. Most white players are held in the minors, missing several prime early years where they could have otherwise been racking up the stats in MLB. Trout of course is one of a kind and in discussion for GOAT, but I dare say this kid's defense may be better than Trouts. Obviously, his hitting will pale in comparison to Trout, but I think this kid will be able to put up huge WAR numbers because of his speed and defense. Trout's age 20 season with 49 SBs was incredible. We will have to see what Crow-Armstrong can do. He's stolen over 30 bases for 2 straight years in the minors. He's one to watch, and I expect big things out of him.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I just hope he does get the September call up! Agreed with @knightedsoldier5000 that White players many times don't see the majors as soon as they should. Doesn't seem to be the same with latin players in many cases who get the hype and are placed in the MLB very quickly.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Great point, Carolina Speed. Most white players are held in the minors, missing several prime early years where they could have otherwise been racking up the stats in MLB. Trout of course is one of a kind and in discussion for GOAT, but I dare say this kid's defense may be better than Trouts. Obviously, his hitting will pale in comparison to Trout, but I think this kid will be able to put up huge WAR numbers because of his speed and defense. Trout's age 20 season with 49 SBs was incredible. We will have to see what Crow-Armstrong can do. He's stolen over 30 bases for 2 straight years in the minors. He's one to watch, and I expect big things out of him.
Thanks for the update on Armstrong KS5000. He should be getting a call up before the end of the season. Jackson Holiday, 19, is another white talent mired in the minor leagues. Holiday is hitting .337, OBP: .454, and SLG: .533. 10 homeruns and 68 RBI and 21 stolen bases in AA. Don't know if he'll ever make it to the show. 22 year old Gunner Henderson has been playing 3B and SS for the Orioles all season. So, the question is what will they do with Holiday? It's not a good situation for him as he looks more like Trout than anyone else as far as I know.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update on Armstrong KS5000. He should be getting a call up before the end of the season. Jackson Holiday, 19, is another white talent mired in the minor leagues. Holiday is hitting .337, OBP: .454, and SLG: .533. 10 homeruns and 68 RBI and 21 stolen bases in AA. Don't know if he'll ever make it to the show. 22 year old Gunner Henderson has been playing 3B and SS for the Orioles all season. So, the question is what will they do with Holiday? It's not a good situation for him as he looks more Trout than anyone else as far as I know.

The Orioles quietly have a good core of young White players on the team. I am sure Holiday will be in the MLB next season. Not sure if Holiday is strictly a SS or maybe he can move to 2B/Henderson move over to 3B potentially?

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Orioles quietly have a good core of young White players on the team. I am sure Holiday will be in the MLB next season. Not sure if Holiday is strictly a SS or maybe he can move to 2B/Henderson move over to 3B potentially?
They have room for both. Henderson is primarily a 3rd baseman this year. They also have top 50 prospect Jordan Westburg on the team as well. He’s another SS but playing mostly 2nd base and 3rd. If anything, Adam Frazier and Jorge Mateo will be the odd men out next year. I think the infield will be Mountcastle (only 26 himself), Westburg, Holliday and Henderson from right to left. Might be the best in baseball for years to come.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
They have room for both. Henderson is primarily a 3rd baseman this year. They also have top 50 prospect Jordan Westburg on the team as well. He’s another SS but playing mostly 2nd base and 3rd. If anything, Adam Frazier and Jorge Mateo will be the odd men out next year. I think the infield will be Mountcastle (only 26 himself), Westburg, Holliday and Henderson from right to left. Might be the best in baseball for years to come.
Also, with Rutschman at Catcher and mostly white pitching staff and O'Hearn and Hays in the Outfield. Looks like 7 out of 9 white starters most of the time. Baltimore is currently in first place in AL East. 3B Ramon Urias has played 86 games. He would have go to the bench as well for all of this to work out. Hopefully it does as it would be a great team to watch for a long time.
Orioles won today 12-1 as 22 year old Gunnar Henderson almost hit for the cycle, a HR, Triple and 2- doubles.
Mountcastle 3-5 and a HR
Catcher Rutschman led off went 2-4 3 runs scored.
Westburg went 2-5
Hays 2 RBI

booth

Mentor
Carolina Speed, I was looking to see if there was a record of the fastest player to circle the bases. I came across a player name Evar Swanson whose unbelievable time of 13.2 seconds set in 1930 is still the record. They use to have contests to see who was the fastest player in the 20s & 30s. I would like to see something like this at the All-Star game.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Carolina Speed, I was looking to see if there was a record of the fastest player to circle the bases. I came across a player name Evar Swanson whose unbelievable time of 13.2 seconds set in 1930 is still the record. They use to have contests to see who was the fastest player in the 20s & 30s. I would like to see something like this at the All-Star game.

That is incredible. I would imagine if records were kept, you wouldn’t see too many modern athletes on the list, despite some having alleged top speed. Good base-running highly depends on technique and practice. Based on the lack of good base running, I doubt teams or individuals practice it much these days. In order to get from home to home in lightning time you need to maximize the least number of steps in order to catch each bag and have as efficient a path radius while rounding each bag as possible.

In short speed, quickness, good form and plenty on practice would make an elite baserunner for time.

The Cubs promoted Crow-Armstrong, MLB Pipeline’s No. 12-ranked overall prospect, from Triple-A Iowa on Monday for Chicago’s road series against the Rockies.

Even if Crow-Armstrong is on the bench, he boasts an electric skill set that can make a difference. In center field, specifically, the 21-year-old Crow-Armstrong is not only considered one of the best defenders in the Minor Leagues, but potentially in all of baseball.

Pipeline gives him an 80 grade for defense, given his great speed (60 grade), instincts and drive to chase down baseballs in any direction. Last season, he picked up a Minor League Gold Glove Award for his work in center field.

The promotion also comes as Crow-Armstrong -- whom people around the Cubs, along with fans, often refer to as PCA -- has been on a tear with Iowa. He crushed his second grand slam in a week on Sunday and has hit at a .311 clip with an .859 OPS in his past 10 games at Triple-A. In 34 games with the I-Cubs, PCA has 10 steals, 15 extra-base hits, 22 RBIs, 30 runs and an .829 OPS.

Overall this season, Crow-Armstrong has hit .283/.365/.511 in exactly 500 plate appearances between Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa. He has piled up 20 homers, 26 doubles, seven triples and 82 RBIs, while stealing 37 bases and scoring 98 runs in 107 games. One area to improve would be his strike-zone discipline (25.8% strikeout rate this season).

CHICAGO -- Pete Crow-Armstrong hit a tiebreaking two-run homer for his first major league hit, and the Chicago Cubs swept the Houston Astros with a 3-1 victory on Thursday.