Overhead Press:True Test of Pressin Power

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
This is God's gift to the Caucasian Man.... the ability to lift big weight up to the heavens!

You have to do this lift on YOUR own; You have to find a way to lock it out. There's no "spotters" to aid you in this quest. Unlike with the bench press, there's very little room for doctoring the results of the overhead barbell press.

If the NFL Combine dropped the bench rep test and added a overhead press rep test, I predict the White domination would be UNREAL (particularly to those that are uninformed). Well, some might say "Whites have shorter arms." I don't buy that argument. Pressing power is about POWER. 6'7'' Sebastian Wenta has that pressing power and thus dominates. I've seen long-armed Nordics dominate as well.

The physiology involved in the overhead press is quite different from that of the bench press. I remember that guys like Leonard Davis and Derrick Dockery got 40-something reps on the bench rep test, but think about it. Whether their muscles gave out (first) or their cardio gave out, that's not very impressive for their size. There's something else to consider. When you have huge breasts, the range-of-motion (of the lift) is shorter and more compact. Needless to say, an overhead rep test would separate the men from the boys. When doing the standing overhead press, balance and coordination come into play and there's less room for error. A protruding jaw could also get in the way!!
smiley36.gif
smiley17.gif

Especially for their size, guys like Igor Olshansky and Ma'a Tanuvasa put up incredible numbers on the bench rep test. BTW, I would buy a Patrick Kerney weight training video (if there ever is one) because he's JACKED and has EXCELLENT triceps! My traps continue to get more imposing with age, but my triceps are the weakest-looking part of my physique. I wouldn't mind trying to grow my tri's in my spare time.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good post. Yeah, I do think brute strength is an area where whites have a slight advantage over blacks. White men own the squat record and the bench press record and I would definitely assume the records of the overhead barbell lift you're talking about too. The slight gap between white and blacks in breakaway speed can be made up in other areas: Superior short area burst, strength, concentration, better hands, equally impressive agility etc. etc.

White_Savage

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Good post. Yeah, I do think brute strength is an area where whites have a slight advantage over blacks. White men own the squat record and the bench press record and I would definitely assume the records of the overhead barbell lift you're talking about too. The slight gap between white and blacks in breakaway speed can be made up in other areas: Superior short area burst, strength, concentration, better hands, equally impressive agility etc. etc.

In the same way that sprint speed is an area where Blacks have a "slight" edge over Whites...remember the fastest Black record for the 100meter is only 2% less than the fastest White time...and that White time was set back in the 70s, clearly with modern training "methods" Whites could set even faster times. Too bad we believe there is no use for Whites to try in the 100meter anymore.

G

Do you mean military press or clean and jerk?

That's aside from the fact that NFL camps would never start testing either lift, as they have no application to football.

White_Savage

Mentor
About as much application as the bench-press, if you want to go down that road. Pec-tri strength ain't really what gives you hitting/blocking power in football. Not that I much care if some Black holds the bench-press record for the NFL right now, Whites hold the absolute record and that's that.

G

White Savage has no idea what he's talking about, but that's nothing new.

White_Savage

Mentor
The below-the-radar troll I recognize from year back (yes, I do know) has no rebuttal so he resorts to insults.

Anyway, it would be entirely possible to scientifically measure the energy a player can imparts to a target after a short star to build up momentum...I wonder why they haven't started doing that...nevermind, I know why, because its football and even the staff's I.Q.s rarely leave the high double-digits

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Some examples of Caucasian pressing POWER-

BIG Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhBtPuciYBs

The Legendary Paul Anderson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muY0LmeMl9s&feature=related

A great video tribute.

Of course, for my rep test, the weight would be much lower and, once the weight is back on the ground, the test is finished.

Linemen would have to rep a weight that's at least 210 Pounds. The overhead press is the best test of PURE pressing POWER.

It's also a very NATURAL lift, with many practical real-world benefits.