NHL gaining on NBA?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Also don't forget the damage that the NHL strike/lockout did to the league in 2004-5. It's not too much of a stretch to say that they lost roughly 1/2 of their US viewing audience over that fiasco. So it's been a struggle to get that audience back over the last 1/2 dozen years. As for the NBA, I really don't think that the struggles the league is having with attendance is because of "too many black players", after all, the vast majority of DWF's think that they are the pinnacle of supreme athleticism, and a bunch of white guys would just "make their team lose". I think that it's because the league lacks personalities that fans can relate to. Most of the best players are either sullen and withdrawn (Kobe) or thuggish and not likable (Lebron) or somewhere in-between.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Just 15 years ago you have great white American players such as Hornacek, Gugliotta, Stockton, Mullins, and Keith Van Horn in the late 90's and early 2000's. Other than David Lee and Chris Kaman I don't see any white Americans that will be stars in the league. Morrison and Alexander will probably be out of the league in a few years. Budinger has potential but I doubt he'll be a star. I still have my Guliotta jersey from 97'. My favorite player of all time.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

JReb1

Mentor
The NHL has similar attendance as the NBA does every year. I think the NBA would be much more popular if there were more really good Whiter teams. Look how popular Sacramento and Dallas were with Whites when they both were really good with a lot of White players. Hell, those 2 teams almost got me to watch some NBA games again. Then they dismantled both, why?

When you consider the ratings difference it hard to believe the NHL and NBA have almost identical attendances... Shouldn't the NBA have a much higher attendance with it'd better TV ratings and coverage?

NBA-NHL
<t></t><t></t><table id="smwtable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td>2008-09</td><td>17,520</td><td>17,460</td><td><div align="center">0.3%</div></td></tr><tr><td>2007-08</td><td>17,395</td><td>17,265</td><td><div align="center">1%</div></td></tr><tr><td>2006-07</td><td>17,767</td><td>16,964</td><td><div align="center">5%</div></td></tr><tr><td>2005-06</td><td>17,548</td><td>16,955</td><td><div align="center">3%</div></td></tr><tr><td>2004-05</td><td>17,314</td><td>no
season</td><td><div align="center">--</div></td></tr><tr><td>2003-04</td><td>17,130</td><td>16,538</td><td><div align="center">4%</div></td></tr><tr><td>2002-03</td><td>16,883</td><td>16,592</td><td><div align="center">2%</div></td></tr></t></table>

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2009/04/nba-nhl-attendance-up.html

Edited by: JReb1

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
As far as TV goes, I think you always run into a problem with the casual fan watching the NHL.

Hockey can be a tough game to follow on the tube.

But it's a great game to watch in person.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'vewatched a lot more Sports Center than I'd like the past few days (staying in a motel), and the coverage for the NBA is non-stop, more than that for the NHL Finals, French Open, golf and everything else put together several times over. The NBA is propped up because it's an indispensible part of the agenda of the Cultural Marxists running things. The demographics of the league will change only if all else fails, and maybe not even then.

Baseball also gets lots of coverage, with a disproportionate emphasis on non-Whites of course. Strasberg is an unavoidable exception. The media is embedded in the Caste System as much as the NBA, NFL and MLB themselves.

j41181

Master
There's constant coverage on Garnett's 2008 triumph, and it's really sickening looking at his intense and snarling expression. Hardly anything about Gasol's 2009 triumph, it's almost as if 2009 never existed.

Every article I've read about Gasol is always about his 2008 demise, very little mention about 2009. I'm really hoping Gasol will shut his critics once and for all.

The Yankees are ESPN's team, they practically appear in all their coverage. The NHL finals get very little mention, like 30 second mentions.

WhiteWorld

2010, mark it as the year the NHL overtakes the NBA in popularity.
Fan attendance and tv ratings will take off this year.

j41181

Master
I seldom watch NHL games, but I can't deny the league's resurgence in popularity. There is a lot of talk and mention about the NHL in various sporting forums I visit.

One major reason for the NBA's drop in ratings is the player's tattoos. Blame Rodman (and Iverson) for introducing them, their case should've been a special anomalies. It should've never been a common sight in the NBA.

WhiteWorld

Watching hockey games on tv is great. I know if the Devils start on time their game is over at 9:20. No late nights, except west coast. In between periods you check in with the wife and kids, get some food then back to the game. I just need to get a better tv.