Mike Alstott

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mike Alstott is healthy and ready for a big season.He has a career low in carries last season and has had some injuries over the last few years.He is now 31 and says he is still hungry to be the best fullback to ever play the game.He will play most of the final 2 pre-season games to get ready for the upcoming season.Hopefully we can see the old Mike of several years ago.Good luck to him.
smiley32.gif

JoeV

Guru
Every year I draft this guy on my fantasy team and he is usually good for a butt load of touchdowns. If healthy, I see no reason my Gruden wouldn't feature him as the goal line back again, and 700-800 yds and 7-10 tds is not out of the question.

Bronk

Mentor
I've been a fan of Alstott's ever since he was at Perdue.

Cannot believe he is already 31!

Good luck Mike.

robcat

Guru
Alstott wont have any more good years with Gruden as head coach. Farmer and Jurevicus were dumped and Alstott had his role reduced. He was almost cut during the offseason.

nj816

Alstott averaged around five carries a game last year. Expect that total o drop to about one or two now that Tampa has #1 pick Carnell Williams and wife-beater Michael Pittman still around.

As a matter of fact I expect Alstott will now assume the role of a true fullback and be on the field for probably half of theplays from scrimmage as Tampa will employ three wide receiver sets with the washed up Joey Galloway and equally washed up Ike Hilliard .But I guess these guys are an upgrade from Jurevicius.
smiley11.gif

nj816

Alstott had zero carries inTampa Bay's game the other night. I expect that to be the pattern for the rest of the season as Alstott will be reduced to the same role as a Jim Finn or John Ritchie.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, nj816, I think you're right. Carnel Williams, Michael Pittman and even Ernest Graham will get all the carries, Alstott looks to be an afterthought. He'd have been better off as a salary cap casualty as had been rumored this spring, maybe then another team would have signed him and let him wind down his career with dignity.

I remember when Alstott was a senior at Purdue, I happened to glance at Joel Buschbaum's Draft Preview. It said that Alstott would "bring back the days of Larry Csonka and John Riggins." In other words, Mike Alstott would carry the ball and gain a lot of yards. His career, didn't turn out that way, did it? The late Joel Buschbaum expected some team to feature Alstott as it's main ball-carrier.

nj816

Alstott would have been better off ifhe retired.He is being treated like a journeyman fullback by that twerp Gruden. The one carry he had this past Sunday is probably going to be par for the course forthe rest of the season.

G

Its all over for one of the best tailbacks the NFL has ever seen. He had a rare combination of speed, quickness,size and strength. If i were to compare him to a black running back it would be Jerome Bettis, only Alstot is much quicker,harder to bring down,a betterpass catcherand had better vision, so its not even a good comparison. Ive seen him outrun defenseve backs on many occasions. If given the same opportunity as Bettis he may have rewritten some of the NFL records, but i guess we will never know. How sad.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope he gets more carries this week, cause he's starting for my fantasy team.