Let him run?

Sean

Mentor
No wonder they don't let white players run the ball!

1122steel13-a.jpg

This is Dan Kreider. 5'11 and a VERY solid 255 pounds. In his six years as a pro, he has had a whopping total of 27 carries (anout how many carries your typical RB has in one game!) Still, there's little wonder why he doesn't get the ball. It would be considered a crime to have skinny little Deltha O'Neal try to tackle this guy. Besides thy have Jerome Bettis, and he also weighs about 255...but he doesn't carry it quite as well.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There are so many whites that are forced to block that could be stud running backs.Look at Karney on the Saints.That man is a beast to try and tackle.I remember the Cardinals had a Fullback named Macovicka and he was quite a load.I could go on and on but I know that you guys agree with me on this.Great pic Sean.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to see you posting again, Sean. Kreider was a star runner in high school, and also ran quite a bit at the University of New Hampshire, so he has some running skills. He's so strong that even if he just took the handoff and ran forward as hard and as fast as he can, he would average 4.0 yards per carry, which is the NFL average. If they worked with him a little and had a fullback blocking for him he could do quite well. It really is a shame that he and the other white bulls at FB aren'tallowed to do anything but block.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, former Dolphin and start college runninback Rob Konrad, Brad Hoover (at least he has a couple of carries and catches in every game) and so many others that are diminished to lead block only role... and so many black fullbacks actually get to be powerbacks... think about it we could have maybe 10 Mike Alstott's in the league, now that would be exciting and it would probably pave the way to white backs, both power and speed types...

ps had Jerome Bettis been white he would probably be a long retired fullback...Edited by: backrow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point, backrow. It would make a difference if those guys were being used correctly, but that is too much to ask for most of these coaches.

JoeV

Guru
Brad Hoover is probably my favorite of the ones you mentioned. He is an absolute BEAST to bring down!

Sean

Mentor
Yes, I've been busy with my own football season, so I've not been able to post.

Kreider is my favorite. I remember when I first saw him, and I though, WOW, that guys arms are huge! His arms are much bigger than most linemans.

I remember Joel Makovicka at Nebraska. He was very tough to bring down.

And I agree about Bettis. He would have never gotten any carries had he been white. People rave on and on about how good he is. So hard to tackle 250 pounds, etc. What these fans don't realize, is that just about every team has a guy capable of equalizing or far surpasing all of Bettis' stats...the white fullback!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the article on the disapearance of white running backs.They are truley just as rare as dinosaurs.lol.Good job guys.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Kreider's only carry so far: 7 yards on MNF at Colts...
Bettis and Parker run 9 times for combined 5 yards... do you think Cowher will get a clue and let Dan run? not likely...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
backrow said:
Kreider's only carry so far: 7 yards on MNF at Colts...
Bettis and Parker run 9 times for combined 5 yards... do you think Cowher will get a clue and let Dan run? not likely...

That was just Kreider's second carry of the entire season. If Bettis, Parker and Staley (and Verron Haynes) were to go down with injuries in a game, Cowher would probably move a smurf like Randel El to tailback in an emergency role before he would let Kreider assume the carries.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Bettis had 6 carries for 9 yards... Staley had 3 carries for 6 yards... yet both of those over the hill, FAT tailbacks (Bettis is beyond done, and he looks fatter than Faneca and some other OLinemen)are getting carries instead of powerful mousclebound Kreider...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Makes no sense to me why Coward doesn't give Kreider the ball, except that in his desire to spit halfway out into the field he is too angry to think about the benefits the team will get from it!
smiley36.gif