Lazy and/or Arrogant Reporters!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man this kind of stuff burns me up. I saw this online this morning, so I replied to it. Here's the article:
http://www.newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=2625&t emplate=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%25M+%25e,%25Y

Controversial Flag to Fly Again
Tanya Mendis
November 10,2005
A controversial symbol will soon fly again over the city of Trenton, Georgia. Voters there decided this week to re-erect the city flag that includes a Confederate battle emblem.

Does the flag represent history or hatred? Almost everyone says the Trenton flag is a piece of city history. But that's not completely true. Before 2001, Trenton did NOT have a city flag at all. The flag that will now fly again is actually the old state flag of Georgia, which includes Confederate symbolism.

"I think it's just a symbol of who we were and where we're from," says life-long Trenton resident, Ken Massey.

A whopping 70 percent of people who came out to vote Tuesday echoed that sentiment.

"I think it's only offensive to the ones that wanna make it offensive to them," Linda Bolton says, adding: "It's a flag! Who's a flag gonna hurt?"

When we asked Trenton teenager Matt Smith what the flag symbolizes to him, he quickly replied, "History."

Georgia phased out the old state flag in early 2001. But Trenton was one of a handful of cities that opted not to get rid of the controversial symbol, instead it was adopted as the city's own. That is, until Trenton Mayor Anthony Emanuel, in a move that earned national attention, took the flag down. He was previously quoted as saying the flag was offensive to minorities.

At least some people in Trenton agree.

"We're not just one race here, we're united. If we're gonna say we are, live it, show it," Shonne Lankford says.

But Thursday, Mayor Emanuel issued a new statement, saying the reason why the flag was originally taken down was because of its condition NOT its symbolism. The letter went on to say, "we're in a new century where we cannot and will not care what our fellow citizen's color may be."

So, at a Veteran's day celebration, the city flag complete with Confederate battle emblem, will fly once again despite, or because of, it's history.

"I think it needs to fly," Bolton says. "It's just been there forever, it's history."

Here is my reply, just as I sent it to her:

Ms. Mendis,

I just read you article that states the "controversial" Georgia state flag was phased out in early 2004. Actually, it was in early 2001. The flag you are refering to was official from February 13, 1956-January 2001. The next flag was first used on January 31, 2001, and until it was replaced by the current flag after Gov. Perdue signed it into law on May 8, 2003. On March 2, 2004, Georgians voted 3-1 to keep the new flag over the 2001-2003 flag. Strangely enough, after all the political backlash its removal caused, the 1956-2001 flag was not put on the ballot. Also, the current Georgia flag is the First National Confederate Flag (Stars and Bars) with the Georgia state seal added to it. The only reason it isn't "controversial" is because it does not incorporate the Battle flag (a modified St. Andrew's cross) in it. Many people mistakenly call the Battle flag the "Stars and Bars," but it is actually the one that is almost identical to the one Georgia is flying now. I have attached images of the First National and current Georgia flags for comparison. All of this information is easily found online. Thanks.

Now, here is her reply to me:

Thank you for your clarification. The story actually ran on-air as the state flag being phased out in 2001, but somehow the web copy was wrong.
But besides that, I think everything else was accurate. The controversial flag Trenton uses is the OLD Georgia flag you referred to (1956-2001), and it does incorporate the Battle Flag emblem, hence the reason why there's so much debate there.

I am going to correct the web copy now. Thanks again for your input.

Please let me know if you find any other inaccuracies.
Sincerely,
Tanya Mendis

Now maybe I'm over-reacting, but it seems as though she is taking me for an idiot here, by claiming that I didn't know the flag that the city of Trenton uses is the 56-01 flag. Am I getting upset over nothing, or does she seem ticked at me because I caught their mistake and don't agree with her position on it?