Kerry vs Culpepper

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What do you think of the latest controversy surrounding Randy Moss?

In case you haven't heard, Randy Moss went on record as saying Kerry Collins is a better QB than Daunte Culpepper. He said as far as athleticism goes, Culpepper has it all over Collins. But, according to Moss, Collins has a better 'pocket presence' and can read defenses better, so he gives the overall edge to Kerry.

My initial impression is Moss is waaay off and just trying to take some shots at his former teammate. A quick glance on NFL.com comparing the two bears out my initial impression. Culpepper has a better TD/INT ratio, almost as many total TD's as Collins despite less time in the league, and a much higher QB rating.

The only thing that I can see that may have skewed the ratings is that Culpepper has had a much better receiving corps over the years than Collins. This year may be the chance for Collins to prove what he can do, with Porter and Moss starting at WR. Hey, if it worked for McNabb maybe it will work for Collins.
smiley17.gif

Personally, if I were to choose between the two I'd still take Culpepper.

psychosid

white shogun, trust me on this....collins is going to have a MONSTER year...now that this guy has talent around him, i would say he is going to throw about 30 td's this year...and for sure all the BCL announcers are going to explain away all of kerry's accomplishments by saying that this is all due to porter and moss. as far as culpepper, his stats will go wayyyyy down....now that he actually has to be accurate and find the open receiver instead of just throwing it up and having moss just outleap the d-backs to make the catch, we are going to see just how good he really is.

IceSpeed2

Guru
Collins is due and has never lived up to the hype
around him. Culpepper is just a bumb. He is so huge and
reasonably fast, but never wins. Collins had a good game against
Culpepper a few years back in the NFC championship(2001?) and seems to
fumble less so start him. Culpepper has a weaker and less
accurate arm. I do not think either of them are starter
material. Maybe Collins has improved dramatically since the
2003-2004 season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Culpepper had one of the very best seasonsby a QB in NFL history last year. He is about .500 overall as a quarterback, but in fairness Minnesota has mostly had a horrible defense since he became the starter. Culpepper has been lucky to have a great offensive line blocking for him his entire career, plus he's had Randy Moss to throw to, but he's hardly a "bum."

Collins thrives when he has time to throw and has at least decent receivers to throw to. Hecan be brilliantfor stretchesbuthis main negative is inconsistency. He's one of the least mobile QBs in the NFL, yethe's the most durable quarterback after Favre and P. Manning, almost never missing a game. I agree with Psychosid that he could be huge this year.

Do you remember that Sunday night game in the snowstorm in Denver last season? Collins made some of the most beautiful passes I've ever seen in that game under very tough conditions. When he has time to throw, watch out. With Randy Moss and a good second receiver in Jerry Porter, and studs like Robert Gallery, Jake Grove and Barry Sims blocking, Oakland could have a big-time offense in 2005.