Jim Taylor in Current SI

I just glanced at the June 20 issue of Sports Illustrated. In their "Catching Up With" section, the current issue features former Packer FB Jim Taylor. Taylor had a stroke in June 2004, which I hadn't seen any news of. He seems to be recovering, but has an irregular heartbeat.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
What I noticed about this piece is that it mentions that Taylor rushed for more than 1,000 yards in five straight seasons and beat Jim Brown for the rushing title in 1962, but doesn't give any of his individual or career totals or mention that for a long time he was second all-time in career yardage behind Brown -- with one exception, hisseason with the expansion Saints, his last year in which he had just 390 yards on 130 rushes and then retired.

That was obviously a sadway for Taylor to go out. But why bring out the stats for his one bad year and not mention them for his many great years? It's akin to an article on Willie Mays not giving any of the statistics of hisMVP seasons or his career numbers, but giving all the details of when he was with the Mets as a stumbling 42-year-old in 1973.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
These guys can't help being white bashers/self haters no matter what they write about. It's freakin pathetic.

IceSpeed2

Guru
When the world has prejudices against you, you are judged by your failures and not your successes.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
But why bring out the stats for his one bad year and not mention them for his many great years? .

Probably just an oversight in a long, long, list of oversights.

Gary

Mentor
I was a Cleveland Browns fan in the early 1960's and I saw the near all-White Packer teams beat the Browns over and over.An all White backfield{PACKERS}Bart Starr,Jim Taylor,Paul Hornung,Carroll Dale,Ron Kramer,Max McGee.One of the best teams of All-Time.Hope Jim Taylor gets well soon!

whiteCB

Master
SI is without a doubt loves to bash white athletes. It's alomost like they get commisson on every article they write that glorifies black athletes( Vick and LeBron their favorites) and bashing whites. They are just too PC and liberal to handle and make me almost upset that I call myself a liberal.

Don pointed out that the piece mentioned Jim Taylor's numbers for his last year in 1967, but not his great years, except that he beat Jim Brown for the rushing title in 1962 and had five straight 1000 yard seasons. The numbers Jim Taylor put up during 1960-64 were really phenomenal.

Taylor's stats for 1962 were: 1474 yards, 5.4 avg, 19 TD's (an NFL record at the time). In 1961 his stats were: 1307 yards, 5.4 avg, 15 TD's plus 1 receiving. Nobody but Brown had run for more in a season. Later in the decade, Gale Sayers (1231 in 1966) and Leroy Kelly (1239 in 1968) neverequaled Taylor's 1961 or 1962 yardage totals.