watching them so much last year, especially because Peyton Manning
looked so often towards Brandon Stokley and Dallas Clark (when he was
healthy). This year, however, Stokley is not being used at all. I have
been watching their games, and Manning almost never looks his way. When
he does throw to him, he often seems to misfire (which he hardly ever
does when throwing to Harrison or Wayne). When was the last time a WR
had a breakout year like Stokley did last season (over 1000 yards and
10 TDs) and then, while playing the same basic role, had his
involvement in the offense reduced to almost nothing the next year?
Manning and Stokley are supposedly roommates and close friends; why the
hell doesn't Brandon demand more looks from his buddy? We all know this
would be a different story is Stokley weren't the victim of a
pigmentation disorder. He'd not only be complaining constantly to
Manning behind the scenes, he'd be out front and center on the field
and the sidelines (like Wayne did last year), up in Manning's face,
demanding a little "respect." Stokely is such a talent. This just isn't
fair.

JoeV

Guru
When was the last time a WR had a breakout year like Stokley did last season (over 1000 yards and 10 TDs) and then, while playing the same basic role, had his involvement in the offense reduced to almost nothing the next year?

To be fair he was only third best receiver on the Colts last year, and Peyton isn't having as strong a year statistically as last year, so Stokley isn't getting the stats that he normally would. Plus he wasn't 100% healthy at the beginning of the season. As the year progresses expect Stokley to get more looks.Edited by: JoeV

Spooge

Guru
" Only the third best reciever" Thats because his friend and
roomate chooses to throw to the brothers indead of Stokely. It's
B.S. plain and simple and I'm getting sick of it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There was very little difference statistically last year between Harrison, Wayne and Stokley. That passing offense was so potent that Manning had the option of dividing the spoils equally between his three receivers.

Stokley has been thrown to a total of 14 times the past two games, so maybe his production will begin to improve. With Drew Bennett injured and in a "new" offense that basically only throws short passes to the tight end, Matt Jones mired in a bad system with bad personnel, and now Stokley's role reduced, it's pretty close to the worst-case scenario we discussed this summeras a real possibility for the '05 season.

Brian Finneran had zero yards for the second straight game tonight. If Matt Schaub was the starter he'd be pretty much a cinch for a 1,000 yard season. As it is, expect him to come under a lot of heat now. It wouldn't be surprising if he's demoted to his "natural" position of backup.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
That was mentioned during the pre-game show on Sportscenter, with Madden. They were asking if Vick would ever be a 'pocket passer?'

After a brief moment of shock, when I realized this was a serious question, Madden ACTUALLY COMPARED VICK TO STEVE YOUNG!!! He said it took awhile for Steve Young to stop scrambling and spend more time in the pocket, and Vick would as well, eventually. Then he said THEY NEED TO SURROUND VICK WITH BETTER RECEIVERS, of course showing a highlight of Finneran going out of bounds diving for a ball!!
smiley7.gif

And you are right, Don, Finneran will get the heat for Vick's foibles, along with Jenkins and Dez White with him. Hell, I'm even beginning to wonder if Peerless Price is all that bad, we have no way of knowing as he hasn't had anyone to throw him the ball since he left Buffalo.

Can anyone tell the Vick hype really pisses me off? You'd think I, as a grown man, could rationalize this, big scheme of things, blah blah blah but it doesn't work - the Vick Mania really pisses me off!
smiley7.gif

JoeV

Guru
I think Vick is the most hated sports figure on these forums by a factor of five!