Hip drop tackle

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Not that I even fully understand what the heck the banning of this tackle means. But does banning this type of tackle help or hurt white defenders? Discuss

NEP01

Guru
The "Hip drop tackle" would have just been a tackle the first 100 or so years of NFL history. It mirrors society in how new words are invented, and people slyly talk as if their legitimacy is a settled question.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recall it mentioned before last year. Logan Wilson's tackle on Mark Andrews seemed to set off the campaign to ban it when Andrews was knocked out for the season. The idea is to cut down on ankle injuries, and there's a lot of them and they usually take a while to come back from, so if banning the "hip drop tackle" helps keeps a talent like Andrews on the field it seems like a good idea.

"Hmmmm...let me consult my rule book as this guy is plowing into me. Should I twist this way to bring him down, or maybe I need to exert pressure here, thus impeding his forward movement. Nah, let's see...oops. He got away for forty more yards."

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I’m sure this won’t extend games either as the officials grapple with whether or not a tackle is legal or not.

Warhawk_46

Master
It is an absolutely dumb rule just like most changes the NFL makes. Under the guise of safety -injuries are part of the game, they are going to happen to our guys sometimes- what it really does is further handicap already retarded defenses.

jacque

Guru
I was taught to only hip drop tackle in high school. That wasn’t even long ago