Forrest Griffin

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm watching the UFC 72 pre-fight show and they showed a clip of Forrest Griffin talking about his fight with Hector Ramirez.

Forrest had this to say: "This fight is in Ireland. I'm Irish, there is no way I'm going to lose to a Hispanic fighter in Ireland."

smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

New respect for Forrest.

GO FORREST!!

Edited by: White Shogun

Poacher

Mentor
Yeah WS I caught that too. That's what's so great about the UFC. Fighters can say things like that and not worry about pissing off the corporate sponsors.

Part of the reason I watch UFC is that I think it has a sort of wild west quality to it. It is the only big sport in America that (at least for now) hasn't been shackled with the pc worries that come with corporate money. It is still a little off the wall and even silly at times but some of the fights, the really good ones, have an aesthetic dignity that is unique and inspirational. Hughes/ Penn II and Florian/ Sherk come to mind.

This is why I am deathly afraid of Dana White getting in bed with the folks at HBO. They will water it down, corporatize it and take away the unpredictable wildness that makes it what it is.Edited by: Poacher

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I love it! I'm glad fellow Georgia boy & UGA grad Forrest won over Ramirez (who looks like a Mexican "Mafia" gangster)!
smiley1.gif

nopictures

Guru
I didn't catch that, but that's great the fighters are able to boast about "their people" to a certain degree, especially seeing as anywhere else a white guy said the "almost-but-not-quite-racial" word "hispanic" without a tone of extreme admiration he would likely be out of a job.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I've been reading some other message boards and there are plenty of people lambasting Forrest for his comments, and declaring they hoped Ramirez would kick his a**.

But there were others, fewer in number but just as vocal, who told people they were being too PC and needed to get the sand out of their vagina.

nopictures

Guru
I think it was pretty clear after the first few exchanges that all Ramirez had was a punchers chance. Forrest definitely fights like an Irishman.