Five years in prison for going to SB?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Look, I believe in justice as much as the next guy - but 5 years for failure to appear for driving with a revoked license??? There are rapists and child molesters who get less time than this.

Having said that, this guy thinks 5 years in the pen is worth watching his brother play in the Super Bowl. I might love my brother as much as the next guy, but I don't think watching him play a game is worth five years of incarceration, either. Maybe the after party with Snoop Dogg made it all worth while...

Super Bowl trip adds 4.5 years to prison sentence
Associated Press

POMPANO BEACH, Fla. -- The brother of Pittsburgh Steelers safety Tyrone Carter had his sentence for driving with a revoked license increased from six months to five years because he failed to report to jail on time.

Tank Carter was scheduled to report to a Broward County prison on Jan. 6, but decided against it when his brother told him the Steelers had a good chance of going to the Super Bowl. On Tuesday, Broward Circuit Judge Stanton S. Kaplan increased the sentence.

"Even knowing what I know now, I would do it again," Carter said. "It was the greatest game in my life."

Carter watched the Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks from the 50-yard line in Detroit and partied with rapper Snoop Dogg after the game.

The brothers have been close since growing up in a rough section of Pompano Beach.

"I would have done the same thing," Tyrone Carter said of his brother's decision. Winning the Super Bowl meant "we finally made it together."

JoeV

Guru
How is this even possible?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Stupid brothers and even stupider sentence. Judges usually have some discretion on unique situations like this. He still shouldn't have risked a five year sentence over a game. The brothers are lying in my opinion if they truly think it was worth it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just about every day I read about some outrageous sentence like this. A college student in Nebraska got 30 days in jail because of a disorderly party that police were called to. The kid wasn't at the party and knew nothing about it. It was thrown by his two roommates, but because his name was on the lease, the judge threw the book at him.

Here's the story of how one man fought back against the drunk driving hysteria thatis beingso effectively used to mainstream totalitarian policies in the U.S. such as roadblocks:

[url]http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/10_05/1005_poli tics_of_drinking.htm[/url]

I have my own ideas about the agenda behind the neo-puritan drive to ban alcohol and fun. It has a lot to do with creating a docile population that doesn't question authority, especially in an era when the central government is creating an unrecognizable police state Amerika.