Enraging Equipment

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Have you guys noticed how a good number of players wear a 4 point chin strap with 2 points unbuckled? The straps just flop around all the time. It is very distracting and angering to me. I see it as a sign of no discipline or code enforcement. The refs do nothing about it, unless someone takes their helmet off while on the field. If you have a 4 point strap and you never use 2 of them, why not just use a 2 point strap? Watching those straps flying around during a play and afterwards hacks me off as much as the excessive and idiotic end zone celebrations that most blacks do these days. Is this a pet peave of mine? You bet, but I think it says a lot about where the NFL is right now. All they have to do is require that all straps be buckled and throw a penalty on it and the problem would be solved. You'd see a massive switch to 2 point straps then. By the way, I have noticed a few more players wearing 2 point straps over the last couple of seasons, even linemen. What do you guys think about all this?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here is another take on this phenomena which we have discussed some this last week. I just found this picture during an actual 1970 Ole Miss game. Archie is wearing a 2 point chinstrap without it being buckled during a game. I figured it might get a few laughs!
smiley36.gif

t_33200.jpg

Last edited:

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What do you guys think about all this?

Ok, Reb, since you asked.
smiley1.gif

I never gave it a second thought til I read your posts here on Caste Football. But even after reading about it, I still haven't paid any attention to it. I don't think I share your pet peeve on this one. Its just not something I have ever noticed in a game and I still don't look for it, even after having it pointed out. Not an attention-getter for me.

But if we're talking moonwalking with groin injuries, or jumping around and waving your arms in the air after every tackle, well then YES, can't stand it!
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta admit, it's not something I've ever noticed either.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I guess it is a pet peeve shared only by me, because the refs sure don't care. If I was a ref, I'd give every one of them a penalty, no matter who it is. I don't think most of these guys need 4 point straps anyway. These new helmets fit pretty tight. I have even seen some 6 point straps as of late, which seems crazy to me.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
They should go back to wearing leather helmets.
smiley2.gif

KG2422

Mentor
I've noticed it ,but I think it's kinda cool. I hope they get their nose broke. When I played, I always kept all 4 buckled. I don't think the 2 buckle strap is as secure. Some of those WR types don't plan on hitting anyone anyway. They step out of bounds or duck hits every chance they get.

Bronk

Mentor
This is not as annoying as back in the 1970s when they failed to cut off the excess strappage and their chinstraps would protrude way above the helmet and look like radio anttenae or cat's whiskers.

By the way, wjen Bobby Douglass played for the Chicago Bears, he did not wear a chinstrap.

Thanks for the old Manning pics.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
How many times do you seen guys with 2 point straps get their helmets knocked off? Not very often. I did see a lineman last year wearing a 2 point strap, which was cool. I think 6 pointers are overkill. Maybe with the old suspension helmets pre-1980 the 4 point straps were more useful. My high school helmet fit me like a glove and I hated my 4 point chin strap, but we didn't have any 2's in our equipment supply. You see these running backs get their helmets knocked off all the time, and my opinion is that if you get hit right, it will come off no matter the number of points you have. I see so many pics of RB's and WR's with their 4 point strap covering up their mouths after being shoved in the facemask or hit by someone else. I don't mind 4 point straps so much, but I think the functional improvement over a 2 pointer is negligable.

foreverfree

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Here is another take on this phenomena which we have discussed some this last week. I just found this picture during an actual 1970 Ole Miss game. Archie is wearing a 2 point chinstrap without it being buckled during a game. I figured it might get a few laughs!
smiley36.gif

1131588801815_Archie_Manning_x.jpg

Was that your namesake on Archie's helmet, Colonel, accompanied by "Ole Miss" in script letters? When did the Rebs drop the Colonel from their headgear and just go with "Ole Miss"?

John

(who's never been closer to MS than Sevierville, TN)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, that's me in younger days on the helmets. I was there from 1970, the year of those pics, through the 1982 season. When Billy Brewer became coach in 1983, I disappeared from the helmets. The same year, the increasingly liberal administration distanced itself from the Confederate battle flag by disavowing it as an unofficial Ole Miss symbol, and banning the sale or use of it by the Ole Miss bookstore and chearleaders.

white tornado

Mentor
Colonel_Reb I share your pet peeve. The first person I noticed who did not buckle all his straps was josh Hiple? of Oklahoma, he always left one unbuckled. I've had collisions many times were I would have the buckles pop out or brake. If the buckles would not refasten I would stay in the game but the hits would hurt more. To intentionally not having all your straps buckled is pretty stupid. All the times you see helmets knocked off is because players not having their chin strap tight enough. Its always the same players, and they act like it's a big deal. I've played football 7 years and my helmet has never been knocked off. I've actually broken my facemask but never lost my Helmet.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
white tornado, I never noticed Heupel not buckling one side, but you are correct. Here is the first pic I found on him when googling. I guess I notice it more when guys have both sides of a four pointer unbuckled. Now I'll have to watch for these guys wearing 3 pointers I guess.
smiley36.gif
I'll try to post some other pictures of players who aren't properly(and legally) buckled.

lg_heupel_ap-01.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are more.

McDrabb:2 out of 4 is bad!
w13_donovan_mcnabb_lg.jpg

Vick:4-1=3, not 1!
smiley36.gif
Your wrong whiz kid!
Michael%20Vick%201.jpg

Here's Keith Brooking's 6 point strap. It is so tight it looks like his chin is part of it!
FPAFBrookingKeith.jpg

This is a strange one! Greg Lewis being tackled with 2 of 4.
news01.jpg

I found a bunch of info regarding chin straps being used/not used on the Falcoons website. Here is something I found on Chicagosports.com.

Jerry, Donovan McNabb played the entire game against Green Bay with both lower chinstraps unattached. Isn't the official supposed to ensure that safety rules and uniform requirements are adhered to? -- Gary Rubenstein, Chicago

The NFL rule dictates that the chinstrap must be fastened and the facemask attached to the helmet. There is no penalty for a chinstrap not properly fastened if this rule is not followed. I am sure the referee would tell the quarterback to fasten his chinstrap whenever he saw it unattached. This is a safety issue, and if a player chooses to do otherwise, he could be the ultimate loser. I watched the game in question and feel certain that McNabb had his chinstrap fastened at the snap, but then released it quickly, making it appear that he had never fastened it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Did anyone see Mike McMahon last night? He was doing his best McNabb impersonation, with 2 straps flopping in the breeze!
pl_194094.jpg

This is what most of the guys should be wearing!
pl_194102.jpg

Here's an even better combo!
pl_189063.jpg

Here's the best you will find anywhere!
SEA_PHI_0530.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just found out that college football didn't require 4 point chinstraps until 1976.