Does racism cause insomnia in Hispanics?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's a load of crap, straight from BYU's web page. I wonder how many of these people know what real racism is? My guess is none.

Racism associated with disturbed sleep and depression in Latinos, BYU study shows

Read more from the Salt Lake Tribune

Perceiving racism is related to sleep difficulties and depression in Hispanic immigrants, according to a new study by a Brigham Young University researcher in the midst of a multi-year project to study why Mexicans collectively experience higher blood pressure and incidents of heart disease after immigrating to the United States.

Published in the new issue of "Ethnicity and Disease," the paper expounds on previous work by establishing sleep problems as a link between racism and depression.

"We found that perceived racism impacts the quality of their sleep and that disturbed sleep is related to depression," explained lead author Patrick Steffen, assistant professor of clinical psychology. "Individuals who have experienced racism could be thinking about what happened the previous day, feeling stressed about their ability to succeed when being judged by something other than merit -- skin tone or a different way of speaking. Sleep is the pathway through which racism affects depression."

Steffen explores connections between the mind and body and is particularly interested in how stress from various causes can affect physical health. He authored a 2003 study that showed perceived racism is related to sustained increased blood pressure.

Now he is halfway through a $260,000, 4-year study funded by the American Heart Association seeking causes of higher blood pressure and increased rates of heart disease in Mexican immigrants, who generally experience low blood pressure and low rates of heart disease in their native country. Changes in diet and physical activity once they immigrate undoubtedly play a role, and Steffen is exploring those angles as well as stressors such as lack of social support, job anxieties and the factors he focused on in the new study, racism, sleep and depression.

Steffen, who learned Spanish as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Spain, has counseled Spanish-speaking immigrants in Utah dealing with stress and depression. He says recent immigrants don't seem to feel much racism, possibly because they don't understand English yet. Their stress is more related to living in a new culture. Latinos who have lived in the United States for several years and feel more integrated in society and become more aware of how other people are treating them seem to experience more racism, he said.

He and coauthor Matthew Bowden, a BYU graduate student, administered validated clinical mental health evaluations to 168 Hispanic immigrants who had been in the United States for an average of five years. They ran statistical tests on the answers to questions about racism, sleep quality and depression, and considered the possibility that the three factors interacted in various combinations.

"We've looked at it several ways," Steffen said. "Statistically, the stronger case was for sleep being the link between racism and depression."

Knowing that quality of sleep is tied to physical effects like blood pressure and the immune system, Steffen hopes his new study will encourage further research into the way stressors such as racism can affect sleep and, consequently, health.

As for advice for Hispanics who are enduring racism, or anyone struggling with stress for that matter, Steffen returns to his counseling roots.

"Part of dealing with stress is first realizing that you have it and identifying where it's coming from. Seek help from a counselor," he said. "Some immigrants may not even realize they're experiencing stress because of their cultural change. Once you know what's causing it, you can deal with it more effectively."

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Another great reason for them not to come here!

G

Stress of trying to be white causes death among those not blessed with white genes, life is tough I guess.

I find it interesting that this case-study comes from BYU because the mormons already have the answer to this problem at their fingertips:

Bear with me here:

1) Mormons believe that Indians are the descendents of ancient Hebrews that migrated to the North American continent around 600 A.D. (In the words of Dave Barry, "I swear I'm not making this up!").

2) "Hispanics" in the USA are primarily Indians (Mestizos) and, therefore, according to the mormons, must also be descended from the Old Testament Hebrews.

3) Mormons literally believe that Indians (including Mestizos) will become "white and delightsome" if they are baptized as mormons. (Back in the 1960s, one of the mormon "prophets" actually wrote that he could see the complexions of some Indian children "lightening up" as they learned about the Book of Mormon).

Therefore, the obvious solution to 'Spic insomnia would be to hold a Moonie-style stadium baptism for tens of thousands of Mestizos at a time, thus turning them "White" and eliminating their feeling of being "different." And a good night's rest will be had by all.

Really, I encourage everyone here to read up on mormon doctrine, if you're up for a good laugh. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Actually that's about 800 BC for the two tribe Jewish migration, because they believe Jesus visited them here in America after his resurrection and gave them special instructions for living and getting along with each other. They supposedly got along for a few hundred years, but they ended up fighting and one tribe killed all the others. That tribe is supposed to be the source of modern Native Americans. Just a couple of the problems with this is that DNA tests of all tribes of Native Americans show them to have no Jewish blood in them. Also, theses tribes were supposed to have built huge cities in North America that rivaled what the Romans were doing, but there has never been any evidence of this found by archeologists. No horses, no ruins, no trace of any civilization of this type. They hold a hill in New York as sacred ground, supposedly where this big battle happened between the two tribes. The size of the hill itself makes impossible Joseph Smith's claim about the number of men who fought on it. Anyway, I am not bashing what they believe, just pointing out a few of the inconsistencies there are in it.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You guys need to read up on what Mormon doctrine actually teaches.

They don't believe those two tribes were the source of all Native Americans today. There were Indians already here when the Hebrews arrived and some ended up intermingling with the natives.

There is no official position on the part of North America where the tribe was to have landed, but they're making a case for the Honduran peninsula. It fits geographically with what they're preaching, and has remnants of a great civilization (the Mayan) which they believe has some identifying marks left from the Hebrews who landed there.

I'm surprised Reb, that you don't have access to more official positions on these topics, living in Utah.

I'm not a Mormon and don't believe what they teach, either officially or unofficially, but you should be more accurate when disparaging someone. Its only fair.
smiley36.gif

I can provide links if any of you are actually interested in reading up on this subject.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm going on what they originally said, not what they say now. I have access to plenty of their positions, which have changed dramatically over the years, but I don't care to read about it all or discuss it in depth here. I have read enough of the Book of Mormon to know what I said earlier is what Joseph Smith wrote. So I am being accurate about that. I will go back and check to see what it says about Indians already being here. Mormon apologists have changed or modified what he said over time just as you mentioned. I have no interest in being an apologist for them.
smiley4.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Evidently, Hispanics can also cause insomnia by playing macarena music full blast at 2:41 am.
smiley7.gif