Dinner Date With Yao

Bear-Arms

Mentor
EWING: What kind of food do they serve here?

MUTOMBO: Chinese.

EWING: I know Chinese. But what kind of Chinese? Snake? 'Cuz I don't eat snake.

YAO: No snake. In China, yes, but you're not in China.

EWING: Well, I don't eat pork, duck or chicken either. Only shrimp and fish [and beef].

MUTOMBO: I eat anything.

EWING: [Browsing through the black leather-bound menu] What's the speciality here?

YAO: Uh. ... [Looks at menu and shrugs.]

Ewing, Mutombo and Yao order coconut curry prawn, General Tso's chicken, fried rice with shrimp, Mongolian beef, garlic basil prawn, Szechuan prawn and white rice.

MUTOMBO: [Sipping a virgin strawberry daiquiri] I like your restaurant, Yao. It's made for 7-footers and guys like Patrick Ewing, who is really 6'9". [Ewing has always been listed as 7 feet.]

EWING: Hey, I may be 6'9", but I'm a bad 6'9". And what about you? When I first met you, you told me you were from Zaire.

MUTOMBO: No, Congo. [Zaire was renamed the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1997.]

EWING: How many languages do you speak, seven?

MUTOMBO: I speak Ebonics now, so eight. Yao, do you speak Ebonics? [Yao shrugs.]

Mutombo's cellphone rings. The ring tone is 50 Cent's In Da Club. He answers and starts speaking one of his eight languages -- not English.

EWING: Man, every time I go over to Dikembe's, he's on the phone. [Ewing picks up his cellphone and starts mocking Mutombo.] 'Doobleedoo doobloodoo doobleedoo. ...' I'm like, 'What the hell is he saying?'

The food comes, and the three dig in.

MUTOMBO: That's what I'm talking about. Yao, next week I'm bringing my wife and kids, and we're going to eat like this.

YAO: How many will you be?

MUTOMBO: Me, my wife, my kids, my cousins ... about 10.

YAO: Just let me know.

EWING: [To Mutombo] Can you pass me that beef?

MUTOMBO: Sure. [Before passing it, Mutombo takes his own spoon and scoops four pieces onto his plate.]

EWING: Man, I don't want that now. You put your spoon in the plate. [Ewing nonetheless takes the plate from Mutombo.] Jeez, man.

MUTOMBO: Oh, come on. I didn't even touch the beef on your side of the plate. You can eat that. [Ewing reluctantly scoops three pieces onto his plate. He doesn't say a word.]

MUTOMBO: How long have we known each other, 18 years? I've been dealing with this same crap for 18 years.

EWING: Let's see if the curry shrimp tastes like Jamaican curry shrimp.

MUTOMBO: Yao, you know there's a lot of Chinese in Jamaica [where Ewing was born].

YAO: You sure they were not Vietnamese or Japanese or Korean?

MUTOMBO: Of course.

EWING: You may have cousins down there, Yao. You may have family in my country!

MUTOMBO: All the food's good. The chicken is the bomb. The coconut prawns, too. The Mongolian beef is my favorite. Tell your mommy everything is good. [Mutombo flashes two thumbs-up.]

MUTOMBO: [To Ewing] I'm sorry you don't eat chicken. I feel very sorry for you.

EWING: [His mouth full of shrimp] Don't feel sorry for me. The shrimp is very good.

Yao leaves the table and sits in a recliner.

EWING: You finished already?

YAO: Yeah, I can eat this every day if I want. At home. Here.

EWING: [Rubbing belly] I gotta go work out tonight. I'm full. You got a treadmill for me?

YAO: Leave your car keys here and run home. I'll give you the keys tomorrow.

MUTOMBO: I'm so full too. Somebody may have to drive me home.

YAO: Keep eating. You can stay here all night.

The waiter enters and asks if they need anything.

EWING: I need a take-out menu.

MUTOMBO: Look at this motherf-----. [Laughter]

EWING: I'm not going to order anything now, but one night, if I'm hungry, I'll call and order and say, 'Put it on Yao's bill.'

YAO: All right. Of course.

EWING: How much is the bill?

YAO: I got it.

EWING: You got it?

YAO: Yeah. [He slides a $100 bill under a tea cup on the table as a tip.]

MUTOMBO: You're a great man, Yao. When you come to Africa, I'm going to take you to a great African restaurant.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/players/03/07/first_pe rson0314/[/url]