David Dupree and Roscoe Nance

sunshine

Mentor
For sure Bill Walton's recent insults regarding Nash were poorly put to say the least. But in context I am much more affended by the likes of Dupree and Nance who are the key basketball reporters for USA Today. I will also throw in the chief bb writer Jack MacCallum of SI. Why? First keep in mind Walton like Chris Collinsworth is GOOFY. Which is fine by me since they add some pizzazz to telecasts. I like the Breen/ Walton pairing. But the key thing to look for is consistent bashing of white athleticism and overall Walton scores pretty well for I have heard him praise white athleticism as much or more so than the average color guy. Indeed he used to mention Stocton's quickness with regularity when no one else mentioned it. And he praises Ginobli etc. so it is not as if he has a one track mind. So I am willing to give a pass to Walton on his blowhard Nash statement. And Walton has in the past suggested Jason Kidd is slow as well.

But Dupree and Nance DO HAVE A ONE TRACK MIND. They constantly bash white players for lack of athletic ability. Indeed they always manage to insult a white player.Two of many examples. Scouting report on Dirk Nowitzki : paraphrase: not the quickest or most athletic and then they proceed with article. And recently after Nash's all time stretch Dupree I believe starts off his blurb by saying Nash plays a no leap on the ground game in a world of leapers and guys above the rim. Again an insult. These guys are jerks and USA Today has continually fed this line of thinking. Fire their rear ends I say.

Yeah, I take what Bill Walton says with a grain, er, a handful of
salt.

A few years ago Bill said a team, down a point with time
expiring in the first half, should hold onto the ball and go into
the break behind so they'd have more incentive to play hard in
the second half.