Condi + Coon = FIRED !!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Poor guy!In the act of kissing up to blacks he inadvertently utters a sancrosanct word and is tossed overboard by lackey whites and the NAACP. A fitting reward if you ax me.Perhaps this incident will wake him up, but I doubt it will.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/23/djfired.rice.ap/ind ex.html[/url]

<B style="FONT-SIZE: 14px">ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- A St. Louis radio station quickly fired a talk show host for uttering a racial epithet as he talked about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on his morning show Wednesday.[/B]

Dave Lenihan apologized on the air immediately after making what he said was a slip of the tongue. KTRS president and general manager Tim Dorsey agreed the remark was accidental but said it was nonetheless "unacceptable, reprehensible and unforgivable."

Lenihan had been heaping praise on Rice, who has frequently said she aspires to run the NFL one day but has more recently ruled out seeking to replace retiring Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

"She's been chancellor of Stanford," Lenihan said on the air. "She's got the patent resume of somebody that has serious skill. She loves football. She's African-American, which would kind of be a big coon. A big coon. Oh my God. I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that."

He said he had meant to say "coup" instead of the racial slur.

KTRS listeners soon began calling the station to complain. Twenty minutes after the utterance, Dorsey went on the air to apologize to Rice and KTRS listeners.

"There can be no excuse for what was said," Dorsey said. "Dave Lenihan has been let go. ... There is enough hate. We certainly are not going to fan those flames."

NAACP chapter president Harold Crumpton commended Dorsey for his swift action.

Reached at home, Lenihan said he was still trying to figure out what happened and was drafting a letter of apology to Rice. He said he never uses the slur he uttered and thinks Rice is "a fantastic woman."

Lenihan, formerly a drive-time host at WGNU radio in St. Louis, had been at KTRS for less than two weeks.

"It was my dream job," he said. "Ratings were going well. It kind of stinks."

guest301

Hall of Famer
He clearly didn't mean to say it and he should have never been fired. It would be nice if Condi stepped in and express that she was not offended and insist he should get his job back. God only knows he wouldn't have been fired if the word "honkey" or "cracker" had slipped out of his his mouth. What a wussy radio station.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Now you can't even ACCIDENTLY say something that sounds close to a racial slur! OMG!! I'm laughing only to keep from crying.

Vindicator

Caste Football members should consider sending an email to the station GM. His email address is timd@ktrs.com. Here's what I wrote:

Dear Mr. Dorsey,

Mr. Lenihan's recent on air "slip of the tongue" was merely a mistake and as such is not unacceptable, not reprehensible, and not unforgivable.

Your firing of this person for what you yourself admit was an accidental utterance was an "unacceptable" and "reprehensible" act of injustice that clearly originates in political correctness and Timidity.

Please reverse your decision.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It's amazing how all those who call to complain throw out every bit of praise this guy heaped on Rice, and yet will not forgive him a slip of the tongue. That's gratitude for you.

But as pointed out on other threads, blacks can denigrate white men by calling them boys at every turn and nothing is ever said. No censure, no firing, no fines, nothing. Its normal.

Kaptain

Master
He slipped on the pronounciation of the word "coup"?

He should be fired but only for the wussy and endless apologizing he did immediately following the comment. If he had not apologized and not acted like he had done some unforgivable thing, nobody would have cared. The only reason he was "attacked" by the PC crowd was because they detected weakness. Like a pack of hyhenaes after a wounded animal.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What a sick world we live in!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
The news made it up here in Canada right away. I heard a radio manager respond in an interview if he would have fired the guy, this is what he said: "Sure I would have. That was no slip. It was a discusting, horrible word to use. And I know it was no slip because of the way he apologized right away." But you would have to forgive the station manager, he is half *******roach, half human.

bigunreal

Mentor
I'd love to see what would happen if just once the white scapegoat in one of these p.c. situations would refuse to apologize. I'd love to see one of them talk about the censoring of free speech. What really amazes me is how, in every one of these cases, the poor sap falls all over himself apologizing and kissing the butts of those he "offended," but his punishment is always swift and severe, and never commuted. Of course, management never stands behind these guys, and fires them as quickly as they are ordered to. It would also be interesting to see what the reaction would be if management refused to fire them, and even stood behind them publicly. What could the NAACP, or anyone else, do about that? They would be breaking no law, not even one of the myriad of unconstitutional ones enacted over the past 40 years or so, but none of them has any courage. The closest anyone has ever come to adopting this strategy was Mark Fuhrmann. He never really issued one of those sickening public butt-kissing apologies, and he's the only one who has ever been in this situation who actually overcame it. The guy is now a respected talking head. Even Geraldo likes him.

Freedom

Mentor
Terrible. He'll be back. There was a similiar incident. A guy said Martin Luther Coon instead of King. He was ok, I think. In schools, you can get in trouble for reading Huck Finn out loud.Edited by: Freedom

guest301

Hall of Famer
Bigunreal..good comment about former LA police detective Mark Fuhrmann..I have always been absolutely amazed how that guy resurrected his life and became a major talking head. I'm still not sure how he did it..but it's nice to know it's possible even in this pc climate.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
"She's African-American, which would kind of be a big coon. A big coon."

Unfortunately the truth is no excuse!

Howard Cosell sucked up to every Black athlete. He got excited watching a black fullback, and called him a monkey. He was fired immediately. You would think that they would give him a break, but no- he was gone.
Dave Leniham was praising the daylights for Condi Rice, and made one slip. He was gone.
Lesson for today: Never praise black people. The only thing worse that being an enemy of blacks is to be their friend. They are never grateful.

bigunreal

Mentor
Actually, Cosell survived his little verbal slipup. He was praising a black player, as he did seemingly every time he opened his mouth, and called him a "little monkey." The player in question was the diminutive Redskin WR Alvin Garrett. He was not fired. In fact, he actually faced very little criticism, compared to that dished out to others who made the same kind of misjudgment in expressing their freedom of speech. This may be because Cosell, unlike most other victims of this p.c. witch hunt, was jewish.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
The smartest thing this guy could have done is not to apologize. He should have said "oh, I meant coup," and moved on. Instead, like a sap, within seconds got down on his knees and begged and begged for "forgiveness". He brought attention to himself with all that apologizing.

Bart

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
Actually, Cosell survived his little verbal slipup.... He was not fired. In fact, he actually faced very little criticism, compared to that dished out to others who made the same kind of misjudgment in expressing their freedom of speech. This may be because Cosell, unlike most other victims of this p.c. witch hunt, was jewish.

Cosell was Jewish.. .who would have guessed? If Dandy Don or Frank Gifford made the same -slip- of the tongue they would have been fired faster than you can say Al Campanis.

Once I was listening to talk radio. The DJ was talking about a black police officer he called a "good coon". He immediately corrected himself and said that the person was a "Good cop", and continued talking as if nothing happened. Not one person complained. This is what you do, correct yourself and continue- never apologize!

I could have sworn that Cosell was fired. I do not remember ever seeing him again on television, but then again I tended to avoid Cosell. I have more important things to remember than Cosell.

Vindicator

The "PC" general manager at KTRS who fired Lenihan actually responded to my email. It was a brief, generic response but it showed he was reading his email. People like him need to know that people like us are fed up. It doesn't take much communication to have impact. Some emails and a few phone calls are often enough to make someone in his position think "the sky is falling".

Deacon

Guru
link

Embattled Radio Host Gets Support From NAACP

Initially the group said it supported the station's decision to fire Lenihan after he made a racial slur on the air. The NAACP says it's now time to resolve the matter and move forward. To aid in the process Lenihan and his wife became members of the NAACP.

There's a picture of the damn coward at the link.

They'll never, ever, let you live these things down.

I was doing something that occurs only every couple years, watching
HBO's "Real Sports", and there was a piece on CBS basketball
commentator Billy Packer. Out of all that's he's said over the years, they
made sure to grill him about calling Allen Iverson "a tough little monkey"
10 years ago.