Can we get a nascar forum?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know about these guys being heroes these days, maybe years ago. It takes a lot of smarts and skill to do what they do, but its not on the same level as athletic competition. Bill Elliott, Richard Petty, and Cale Yarbrough, among a lot of other past drivers were good role models, but I'm not so sure about these new guys. I'm sure some disagree with me, but I have not enjoyed NASCAR since the late 80s before restrictor plates took the real competitiveness out of it as a motorsport, now its just a battle of driving skill and there is too much parity.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Move over Shani Davis and make way for the next black pioneer, Bill Lester, who is trying to become the first black driver in 20 years to qualify for a NASCAR race. If Lester doesn't make it, maybe Rodney King will be available for the next race!

[url]http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/03/15/spor ts/s134244S14.DTL[/url]

73490_bil.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don, Oh Man! That was a good one. I laugh as I type this!
smiley36.gif
It really is hilarious to see these guys trying to make the field.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I must say though, old Wendell Scott did pretty good with the old second rate equipment he had. He only had one win, but he finished 6'th in points in 1966 I believe.

guest301

Hall of Famer
If he makes it, that is fine with me as long as he doesn't get any special favors or breaks other drivers don't get.

White_Savage

Mentor
Yeah, calling NASCAR a sport is iffy, though I'd say golf's claim isn't MUCH stronger.

Despite those who claim "blinding thinking speed" for blacks, it's evident from something like NASCAR, or who 99.9% of fighter jocks are, who has the fastest reflexes and crunch-time, or maybe in this case, crunch-AVOIDING thinking ability.

robcat

Guru
Well the black driver qualified which is apparently a great achievement according to the media. Maybe now they will begin spinning yarns about how "racism" held Lester back all these years from his natural position of worlds greatest driver. Remember when Tiger Woods made a commercial for Nike after he went pro that claimed he had been barred from playing at some golf courses because of being black? It was fabricated.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I find it strange that we haven't heard anything about the Confederate battle flag being associated with Lester and others being held back. I wonder why? Well, I'm not totally sure, but I bet it has something to do with the fact that in reality, all those racist rednecks fans in Nascar who fly the flag aren't really racist after all. I mean, its not like the flag would jump off the pole and go demonstrate that blacks not be allowed to drive in Nascar! It really illustrates the hypocrisy of those who claim it is racist and that it should disappear from the stands and infields of Nascar tracks.

Think about this, if Wendell Scott had won the Southern 500 during his career, he would have taken the battle flag at the end of the race and held it while doing his victory lap, just like everyone else. Kind of reminds me of Elston Turner at Ole Miss. When they won the SEC tournament in 1981, he was so excited that he grabbed a battle flag from one of the cheerleaders and ran around the Coliseum floor with it, celebrating the win. That was a no no according to the Black Student Union, but it showed how stupid people were and are in saying it is a racist symbol.

Here's Richard Petty after doing his victory lap at Darlington in 1967.
Petty.jpg

Matra1

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
I don't know about these guys being heroes these days, maybe years ago. It takes a lot of smarts and skill to do what they do, but its not on the same level as athletic competition.

I don't know about NASCAR but Formula One drivers are about as fit as any athletes on earth. Incidentally there has never been a black F1 driver. There has been just one from the Indian subcontinent and a handful from east Asia. I've read complaints about how non-whites just can't afford to be in such an expensive sport. But I think if a black showed any signs of succeeding at a lower level he'd be coming down in sponsorship money. If this Lester fella does well in the NASCAR race he's qualified for his phone will be ringing off the hook with offers from corporate sponsors wanting to be seen to be promoting diversity, breaking down barriers, and the rest of that nonsense.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I was just searching this site for a Nascar forum and looked what popped up.
I'm up in Canada if you haven't already guessed. Here's a true story and I'm not making this up:
Today I heard a sports report on the radio and Nascar was mentioned. We don't get a lot of Nascar reporting.
All I remember hearing was about some recent race where a woman finished 9th, I think, and some black man finished, now get this, 38th! I don't know who won, placed, or showed, but some black was 38th and that was news! And I'm not kidding!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Sorry guys, I hadn't read your posts before I posted mine. Now I know who you are talking about. I find it incredible that a 38th place finish is news.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Lester will be in 2 more Nascar races this year, but he hopes to get a full time ride next year. He has been in the Craftsman truck series for a while now.

In a recent NASCAR race in Mexico, the Mexicans did not applaud the first three drivers because they were Americans. I'm surprised the mexicans didn't shout "Osama" like they did at a soccer game. The race had mexican drivers that usually are not in a NASCAR race.

This attempt by NASCAR to get Hispanics interested in racing is a failure. The Mexicans love blood sport- Bullfights, *******fighting, and dogfights. They should try a demolition derby.
smiley36.gif

foreverfree

Mentor
Lester's teeth look like Nancy Kerrigan's - borrowed from a horse. File with Messrs. Woods' and Sosa's watermelon grins.

John