Bush awards medal to Ali

Bart

Hall of Famer
Thanks George. How nice of our president to give - the highest civilian award - to a Muslim who was the face of Elijah Muhammad's Nation of Islam, a Black Supremacist anti-white organization whose literature to this day calls white people devils!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/10/ali.bush.ap/index.html

<B style="FONT-SIZE: 14px">WASHINGTON (AP) -- Muhammad Ali, his hands shaking and eyes reflecting the White House chandeliers, accepted the nation's highest civilian award from U.S. President George W. Bush on Wednesday.[/B]

Bush called him "the Greatest of All Time" and "a man of peace," and tied the Presidential Medal of Freedom around the former heavyweight champion's neck.

story.ali.bush.ap.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That makes me sick! Literally.
smiley7.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
President George W. Bush today announced the recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Nation's highest civil award. Established by Executive Order 11085 in 1963, the Medal may be awarded by the President "to any person who has made an especially meritorious contribution to (1) the security or national interests of the United States, or (2) world peace, or (3) cultural or other significant public or private endeavors." President Bush will honor these recipients at a White House ceremony on Wednesday, November 9, 2005.

I think Ali falls under the #3 category.

It don't surprise me much that he won this award. Ali dodged the draft, yet he is national hero.

All the recipients:

Muhammad Ali is one of the greatest athletes of all time. He was the first three-time heavyweight boxing champion of the world, successfully defended the title 19 times, and was a Gold Medalist for the United States at the 1960 Olympic Games.

Carol Burnett is one of America's most accomplished comediennes and actresses. She debuted on Broadway in 1959 and starred for more than a decade on The Carol Burnett Show. Ms. Burnett won a special place in the hearts of people across America through her combination of creativity, humor, and compassion.

Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn designed the software code that is used to transmit data over the Internet. Dr. Cerf and Dr. Kahn have been at the forefront of a digital revolution that has transformed global commerce, communication, and entertainment.

Robert Conquest is a historian known for his groundbreaking work on Soviet history, politics, and foreign policy. More than 35 years after its publication, his landmark book, The Great Terror: Stalin's Purge of the Thirties, remains one of the most influential studies of Soviet history and has been translated into more than 20 languages.

Aretha Franklin has brought joy to millions with her music. She has nearly two dozen number-one singles and has won numerous awards. Ms. Franklin was the first woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Alan Greenspan has chaired the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve for the last 18 years. Mr. Greenspan has been an extraordinary leader who has made great contributions to America's economic growth and prosperity.

Andy Griffith is an American icon of the stage, cinema, and television. He first achieved national acclaim in the 1950s for his stand-up comedy routines, and he went on to star in television shows such as The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock, as well as numerous Broadway productions and films.

Paul Harvey is one of America's most respected radio personalities and has set a standard of excellence for broadcasters. Since his radio broadcasts first aired nationally in 1951, Mr. Harvey has won the trust of millions of radio listeners.

Sonny Montgomery was a champion for veterans during his 30 years as a Member of the House of Representatives from Mississippi. His signature achievement was the Montgomery GI Bill, which has helped make education affordable for millions of veterans.

General Richard B. Myers served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during one of the most challenging and dangerous periods in American history. General Myers was at the forefront of preparing America's armed forces to meet the threats of the new century. His tenure was marked by the toppling of brutal dictatorships in Afghanistan and Iraq and the liberation of more than 50 million people.

Jack Nicklaus is the greatest professional golfer of all time. He won 18 majors as a professional, the first in 1962 and the last in 1986, and he won more than 70 PGA Tour events.

Frank Robinson is one of the greatest baseball players ever. Among his awards are National League Rookie of the Year, Most Valuable Player in both the American and National Leagues, and the American League Triple Crown in 1966. He also has been a top manager and earned Manager of the Year in the American League in 1989. He broke the color barrier for managers, becoming Major League Baseball's first African-American manager in 1975.

Paul Rusesabagina demonstrated courage and compassion by sheltering people at the hotel he managed during the 1994 Rwandan genocide. By risking his own life, he helped to save the lives of more than 1,000 fellow Rwandans. Mr. Rusesabagina's selfless acts have inspired millions, and he represents the best of the human spirit.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I guess I can't argue with him making significant cultural contributions, its just the fact that you can make those kinds of contributions and get a medal for it that upsets me.

Bart

Hall of Famer
More hugs and kisses for his constituency. You know what's funny? Blacks still hate him with a passion. President George W. Bush kisses HIV-positive Princess Zulu, from Zambia, during an HIV/AIDS event in the East Room of the White House, April 29, 2003. Then we have kissiepoo+ hugs with Opra and Condi and who knows what. These photoimages arecarefuly plannedpieces of propaganda.

ORH2003043000011_prt_502.jpg
george_bush_oprah.jpg
bushhug.jpg
2005-09-03T011240Z_01_BIL12D_RTRIDSP_2_WEATHER-KATRINA_articleimage.jpg

bush-kiss-rice.jpg
_39538000_kiss_300245_ap.jpg
story.ali.bush.ap.jpg

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
They're giving these away like candy. Might as well give one to Ali, too. What difference does it make.

Bronk

Mentor
The metal officially means less than coyote crap now, thank you Georgie Boy for rendering it meaningless. Although, I'll bet that should I look up the names of ALL the recipients I'm sure to find a whole rat-pack of undeserving wastrels as well.

bigunreal

Mentor
What a joke. Ali despised the whites who lavished such undeserved
praise on him throughout his "career." This man was, imho, the figure
who had the single most disastrous effect on our culture. We see his
influence today in every young black male, with their posturing and
boasting, their selfishness and pride, and even in their "music" of
choice, whose childish rhymes are the direct descendent of Ali's
ignorant drivel. This man effected EVERY black person on the planet, in
a decidedly negative way. For Bush to award him with anything is the
ultimate insult to the clueless white people who voted for him.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
From Medal of Freedom

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the highest civilian award in the United States.

It was established by President Harry Truman in 1945 to honor service during WWII. President John F. Kennedy revived the medal and began the tradition of awarding the medal annually, on or near July 4. The award is awarded to several people annually. Unlike many other US awards, the Presidential Medal of Freedom can be awarded to non-US citizens.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom recognizes individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, or to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

Now that you know a little about the medal, take a look at some of those who were awarded the Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush:

July 9, 2002

Hank Aaron

Bill Cosby

Placido Domingo

Peter Drucker

Katherine Graham

D. A. Henderson

Irving Kristol

Nelson Mandela

Gordon Moore

Nancy Reagan

Fred Rogers

A. M. Rosenthal

July 23, 2003

Jacques Barzun

Julia Child

Roberto Clemente

Van Cliburn

Vaclav Havel

Charlton Heston

Edward Teller

Dave Thomas

Byron White

James Q. Wilson

John R. Wooden

November 12, 2003

Lord Robertson

December 2, 2003

Robert L. Bartley

June 4, 2004

Pope John Paul II

June 23, 2004

Arnold Palmer

Edward Brooke

Doris Day

Vartan Gregorian

Gilbert Grosvenor

Gordon B. Hinckley

Estee Lauder

Rita Moreno

Arnall Patz

Norman Podhoretz

Walter Wriston

December 14, 2004

L. Paul Bremer III

Tommy R. Franks

George J. Tenet

Yes, you read that right: Nelson Mandela, Roberto Clemente, and Hank Aaron.

And who can forget Mr. Rogers, kids TV; Julia Childs, gourmet; Dave Thomas, Founder of Wendy's; Estee Lauder, Arnold Palmer and Doris Day.

Like I said before, why not Ali? This thing isn't worth the metal from which its cast.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Just a young couple in love....
smiley27.gif
smiley27.gif
smiley27.gif

Bill_HillaryClintonCasual.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. This pic was on Bill Clinton's page of the Medal of Freedom site. His list isn't as long as Bush's, nor quite as idiotic, but still, one has to wonder how they come up with some of these people.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
bigunreal said:
What a joke. Ali despised the whites who lavished such undeserved praise on him throughout his "career." This man was, imho, the figure who had the single most disastrous effect on our culture. We see his influence today in every young black male, with their posturing and boasting, their selfishness and pride, and even in their "music" of choice, whose childish rhymes are the direct descendent of Ali's ignorant drivel. This man effected EVERY black person on the planet, in a decidedly negative way. For Bush to award him with anything is the ultimate insult to the clueless white people who voted for him.

heckuva post. Says a lot, all of it true.

I read once, in an establishment magazine,that Ali's IQ is 80. Assuming that figure wasn't made up, it means he is considerably closer to retarded than he is to having an average IQ. Explains a lot about his behavior, and also about the motivations of the system that turned him into a role model and secular saint.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Gordon B. Hinckley, unreal!
smiley11.gif

I have no problems with Mr. Rogers though.

I remember once reading a piece by David Halberstam in which Halberstam wrote something like, "Ali's criticisms of the Vietnam War were among the most intelligent ever made." On a more serious note, Mark Kram wrote a book a few years ago pretty critical of Ali, especially his personal attacks on Joe Frazier. Kram wrote that "Ali didn't understand what these writers were talking about, but he sensed there was a mood out there he could grab onto."

Kram showed throughout his book that Ali had a very limited intelligence. Of course, Kram was pilloried by the book's reviewers.

GWTJ

Mentor
Guys, mine is not the popular opinion, but you've got to cut me some slack here. I grew up loving Ali. I didn't know there was a race problem when I was young. I started following his career after he lost to Frazier. I was 9 years old and every kid in my class was rooting for him to win that night while every one of our fathers was rooting for him to lose. I remember seeing him on Wide World of Sports all the time during the early to mid seventies. He was my favorite athlete then. I have read many books about him and want to make some comments about him. I'm not defending him, just trying to give a little info to consider.

I realize that I missed the 1st half of his career. That is when he agitated so many people with his bragging and his antics. But, the simple truth is, he was merely imitating a Pro Wrestler. When he was young he went to see Gorgeuos George, he was blown away by the wrestlers ability to bring out so much emotion from people. Ali realized that night that it didn't matter whether they were booing you or cheering you, as long as they paid to see you. All of his agitating was just to sell tickets. Even when he went too far and hurt Frazier, he was only trying to sell tickets.

I don't believe that Ali is responsible for the horrible behavior of todays athletes. Ali didn't chase women, he didn't date or marry white women. He never hit his women or get in trouble with the law. He is on record saying black men should stick with black women. The generation of black athletes that followed Ali were not jerks like todays athletes. In recent years, the NBA and the NFL have allowed their sports to become so black dominated that they no longer are able to control them. But there are very few black baseball players that are jerks. In the last 20 years you probably couldn't count five of them. And no boxer since Ali has ever tried to imitate him.

Ali had respect for his sport and the boxers who came before him. He trained in Pa. and had huge boulders around his training headquarters. Each boulder had a different retired champion's name on it, including Rocky Marciano.

Ali dropped out of school in the 4th grade. He is semi-literate at best. When he got drafted he was originally given an F4 rating. Not smart enough to peel potatoes. Suddenly and magically, his rating got changed to an A-1 and he had to report. We all know the rest of the story. He refused on religious grounds while the U.S. Government gave him a much applauded beating. But he won a Supreme Court decision several years later. He was the first athlete to go from the sports page to the front page.

Ali long ago abandoned the teachings of the Nation of Islam for the traditional beliefs of Islam as taught in the Koran. Ali explains that Islam is a religion of peace, not violence, and that there are good and bad people in all cultures, countries, and religions. We have given a free pass to athletes like Ahmad Rashad and Kareem Jabbar for changing their names, why not Ali. Considering how unethical and unconstitutional our own government has become, maybe I should hate guys like Bill Bradley and Steve Largent for being willing participants of it.

As for him refusing to go to Vietnam, in the late sixties, my next door neighbor and friend had an older brother who was drafted. He didn't report and I still remember the government people showing up and searching the house to find him. He disappeared for years. As most everyone knows, all draft dodgers from the Vietnam War have been given amnesty. My friends older brother came back to the United States and is now a Liutenant on the police force of the same town we grew up in. I really don't know what to make of draft dodgers in general and I am not going to crucify Ali for doing it. Not to mention I have a 16 year old son whom I would give my full support to if he refused to go to Iraq or Iran or wherever, if they ever brought back the draft.

And finally, I understand that guys 10 years older than me probably hate Ali, but I just can't hate him. I don't expect to convert anyone here, but as angry as I am with the current state of pro sports in general, and the lack of opportunity for talented white athletes, I am not prepared to turn on the athletes that I cheered for as a kid.

bigunreal

Mentor
GWTJ-

I respect your viewpoint. I am in complete argreement with you, btw, on
refusing to go to Viet Nam. It's the one good thing Ali ever did, imho,
whatever his motives.

You are right to mention wrestler Georgeous George. Ali was definitely
influenced by him. However, the difference is that George never had any
real impact on society. Ali's impact on our society, fueled by a
fawning press, was huge. I have to disagree with you about no boxer
imitating Ali. Sugar Ray Leonard aped Ali's style, if not all his
antics. "Macho" Camacho, Mike Tyson and many, many others certainly
copied the classless boasting and pro-wrestling like threats from Ali.
I also have to disagree with you about black athletes in the past not
being jerks. True, the behavior wasn't as egregious 20 or 30 years ago,
but there were plenty of arrogant blacks in sports in the '60s, '70s
and '80s. Where do we begin? How about Jim Brown? A great RB, but a
walking time-bomb who has been charged over the years with repeated
violent offenses against women, the last less than a decade ago, when
he was already in his sixties. He also has "hate whitey" written all
over him, as he plays the part of elder black statesman on various
sports broadcasts, with his ever- present African dashiki atop his
head. Richie "Dick" Allen was a long-time Major Leaguer whose surly,
drugged-out attitude would fit right in with today's athletes. Kareem
Abdul-Jabbar used to get into fights with only white players during his
early years in the NBA. Like so many blacks on the court then (and
now), he just didn't stand for any whitey stopping him on defense. Dave
Winfield, before he became a long-time Major Leaguer, was a starter on
the University of Minnesota's basketball team. He participated, along
with the other 4 black starters, in a vicious assault on Ohio State
center Luke Witte. Winfield and co. beat Witte to a bloody pulp on the
court, apparently riled up by the fact that the white center had
dominated them. Witte was never the same player afterwards, but
Winfield never suffered for his part in this crime, and it was never
mentioned during his years in baseball. Duane Thomas, RB for the
Cowboys and Redskins, was another surly black, doped-up athlete who
clearly hated whites. We all remember Kermit Washington's savage attack
on Rudy Tomjanovich, which effectively ended Rudy's days as a top
scorer and was clearly racially motivated. There are many other
examples I could cite. Of course, with today's sports being saturated
with criminal scum like Iverson, Sprewell, Moss, Dillon, etc., things
have certainly become a lot worse. But the "black power" gang a few
decades back weren't exactly slackers.

Cassius Clay "won" the heavyweight championship in a highly dubious
way. In the first fight against the seemingly unbeatable Sonny Liston,
the champ mysteriously didn't answer the bell for (I think, not sure)
the seventh round, even though he had not been hit that hard in the
fight. To my knowledge, this was the first we'd ever heard of the term
"not answering the bell." I could be wrong, but before this I don't
know of any instance where a fighter just didn't get off his stool for
the beginning of the next round. In the rematch, Ali "won" in an even
more counterfeit way. He "knocked out" Liston with what even
establishment reporters termed "the invisible punch." Liston's death
several years later under questionable circumstances fueled some
conspiracy theories, and may well have been due to his starting to talk
about those fights with Clay being fixed. After he became Muhammed Ali,
the fights became ever more theatrical. By any legitimate standard, Ali
won a whole lot of decisons he should have lost. All the Norton fights.
Ernie Shavers. Then there were the really ridiculous "knockouts"
against Oscar Bonavena and the ultimate absurdity of the "rope-a-dope"
vs. George Foreman. I think that, even if he was the nicest guy on the
planet, and hadn't helped to ruin our culture, Ali could still be
severely criticized for the way he managed to make an already
shady game seem even more corrupt.

Anyhow, food for thought.

Bart

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:
Ali dropped out of school in the 4th grade. He is semi-literate at best. When he got drafted he was originally given an F4 rating. Not smart enough to peel potatoes. .

By Rodger D. Citron

In April 1960, when his name was still Cassius Clay, the 18-year-old boxer registered for the military draft in his hometown of Louisville. Originally classified as available for the draft, Clay subsequently was reclassified as "not qualified under current standards for service in the armed services" after performing poorly on the mental aptitude test. (As Thomas Hauser recounts in Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times, Ali somewhat sheepishly told reporters, "I said I was the greatest, not the smartest.")

GWTJ

Mentor
Bart, thanks for helping me out with the specifics of why Ali was not qualified to get drafted.