Bob Mathias dies

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Bob Mathias, a great athlete, died. Won decathlon at 17 and then repeated 4 years later. RIP, Bob.

Mon, September 4, 2006

By AP

SAN FRANCISCO -- Bob Mathias, a two-time Olympic decathlon champion and former U.S. congressman, has died of cancer. He was 75.

Mathias, who died Saturday, became the youngest Olympic gold medallist in athletics in 1948 in London, when he won the decathlon at 17. At the 1952 Helsinki Games, he became the first athlete to repeat as Olympic decathlon champion.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
May he rest in peace.My thoughts go out to his family.I think he was Bruce Jenners Idol if I remember right. I know alot of people looked up to him.What a competitor!

white is right

Hall of Famer
True hero, back before professionalism and drugs. Did this all before he was 22. What could he have done in todays pro era.......
smiley32.gif

Gary

Mentor
Bob Mathias was one of the greatest athletes of all time.He was not only good at track and field but played football for Stanford,was a Marine officer and congressman-What a role model for the youth of America.Bob Mathias along with Bob Richards,Kyle Rote Jr and Randy Matson are some of the BEST ATHLETES I have ever heard of.

Weltner

Guru
Gary said:
Bob Mathias was one of the greatest athletes of all time.He was not only good at track and field but played football for Stanford,was a Marine officer and congressman-What a role model for the youth of America.

In other words:The 100% polar opposite of the modern black so-called "affleet".Even on his worst day,he still ran rings around them,character-wise and personality-wise,TO SAY THE LEAST.Redundant,but it needs to be said.