Black Winter Olympian Spotted

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Shani Davis is suing the city of Chicago for racial profiling.

Davis sues Chicago

Tell me otherwise if you think Davis did not choose to skate in the team event for racial reasons. He just didn't want to help any white boy earn a medal, and thats all there is to it. I don't care about his focus on 'his' race or any of that BS. It didn't keep him from racing the 1500 did it? I suspect thats why Hedrick is as upset as he is, because he either knows or suspects Davis' true motives.

smiley7.gif

Kaptain

Master
I doubt we've heard the last of Shani Davis. Seems he was on a racial mission. I bet we read about him in a crime report sometime in the near future. Where there's smoke there's fire.

"Generally, you've been stopped by a policeman if you're 16 years old and black in Chicago," Grossman said.

And generally if your 16 years old and black you've already committed several crimes. Those poo blacks just keep getting picked on fo no reason.
smiley19.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
An interesting account of an alleged fix trying to get Shani a spot in the previous Olympics in Utah.

http://www.blackathlete.net/Ski&Surf/ssr022002.html

In the days following his surprising victory, Davis read accounts in newspapers about the race and allegations of a fix. The inspiring story of the first African American soon to represent his country in the sport turned ugly.

O'Hare filed a complaint with United States speedskating and the USOC claiming Ohno conspired with Rusty Smith. The complaint said the two skaters fixed the race so that Davis would win and qualify. Biondo corroborated these charges. He went even further by saying he heard Ohno saying, "Don't pass, don't pass," a message meant for Smith not to overtake Davis. On his part, Ohno said he did not skate his normal best because he had already qualified before the last event and hoped to avoid njury.

[snip]

Referee Jim Chapin said in an interview with the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he had "no doubts" about the race being a "setup," and that his four assistants felt the same way. Under speedskating rules, Chapin had every right to call for a rerun of the event or set aside the result if he felt there was any impropriety. He did not.Edited by: Bart

I live in Chicago. Davis was searched in areas that are mostly white. (The few areas in Chicago left).
The supreme court has ruled that the police can search anyone they suspect carrying weapons without a warrant. There have been several rulings like this. If Davis ever looked around he would have noticed the white guys who are being searched.
Four teenagers of any color is bad news to any cop, or anyone else for that matter.

Chad comes off as way more intelligent in his interviews then does Shani. Shani souds like a total moron. Im glad that they got into this war of words. Even if Chad were incorrect in his assertations he would win this little fight with Shani. Chad just is that articulate...... Anyone else agree with me on this?

The papers claim that Davis's mom is being "protected" by the Dutch curling team??? Why? What's going on here? I have many questions?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be interesting to see if Davis becomes a prominent corporate endorser after the Games. My guess is that he won't be. The media covered for him in Turin, but enough people saw his selfishness and surliness that a lot of corporations that would have been thrilled to throw money at him won't now. He'll still get his share though. Throw in a ghost-written book and probably a made-for-TV movie, and he'll be richly rewarded for his "trailblazing."

guest301

Hall of Famer
He may have been trying to rehabilitate his image today. He was seen over and over again on NBC tonight clapping and cheering on Chad Hedrick's silver medal run in the 10,000. How much of that is genuine is anybody's guess.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
He may have been trying to rehabilitate his image today. He was seen over and over again on NBC tonight clapping and cheering on Chad Hedrick's silver medal run in the 10,000. How much of that is genuine is anybody's guess.

Who's trying to rehabilitate whom? Is he trying to rehabilitate himself or are the networks trying to boost him? Both?

Bart

Hall of Famer
This writer is no fan of Hedrick's. If Chad learns anything from this experience it will be to kiss Shani's rear nexttime and donate ALLhis winnings to an African charity. Themedia will LOVE him.
By Bernie Wilson, Yahoo! Sports | February 24, 2006
<DIV =clr>

TURIN, Italy - Chad Hedrick's Olympic odyssey is over.

Thank goodness.

[snip]

The mouthy Texan won the silver medal in the 10,000 meter speedskating race on Friday, adding it to the gold he won the 5,000 and the bronze in the 1,500, his smackdown race with teammate Shani Davis that was won by Italy's Enrico Fabris.

[snip]

Now Hedrick will drop out of sight for four years - no offense to those of you who follow World Cup speedskating religiously - before bringing his Texas-sized ego to Vancouver in 2010.

That's probably a good thing.

Hedrick's act in Turin became old.

[snip]

But he clearly thrived on the talk. And every time he didn't win gold, he didn't always come across as a good loser. He kept saying how proud he was to be part of the U.S. Olympic team and how he was full of the Olympic ideal, then made it abundantly clear that it was all about him.

[snip]

Remember, this is the guy whose penchant for self-promotion has led some detractors to call him "the Paris Hilton of speedskating."

His two most boorish comments came during his feud with Davis.

Hedrick didn't bother to congratulate Davis after he won the 1,000 meters to become the first black athlete to claim an individual gold medal at the Winter Olympics.

[snip]

Or how about Hedrick's teammate, Joey Cheek?

After winning the gold medal in the 500 meters and the silver in the 1,000, Cheek donated his $40,000 in USOC bonus money to a humanitarian organization led by former Olympic champion Johann Olav Koss.

At least Hedrick looked happier Friday than he did after the 1,500, when he acted like Davis didn't exist.

speedster

Mentor
It's funny how they percieve things.Big-mouth Shipp figures black's aren't getting enough love and from my point of view I think white people are catering far too much to the African's.