black scholarships

mgginva

I went to Virginia Tech and know that the university always had trouble getting the percentage of black students up to the point they had targeted. I think it was a low number - like 4%, but I am not sure about the accuracy of that particular amount. What I wonder is if this is a wide spread problem and if so are the colleges using their sports programs to get these percentages up. I'm not sure what the repercussions are for schools that can't attract enough non-whites, but I'm sure there are incentives on both a state and federal level.<div>Does any one out there know anything about this?</div><div>
</div>

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Colleges and universities all over the country want to increase diversity (read more non-whites and less Whites). One reason is to "measure up" to everyone else and get credit for it in the media (who happily reports it). I'm sure it doesn't hurt state funding considerations when you have a lot of diversities in the student body either. Of course, most of those decisions and considerations happen behind closed doors and aren't talked about publicly. Many institutions of higher learning "seek diversity" by starting inter-collegiate athletic programs. One college here in Georgia has made diversity a central reason for starting up sports programs.

Since public institutions operate on state money, they aren't as dependent on federal dollars directly, although you can argue that some of their money still comes from the fedgov via the state. Enrollment is tied to funding as well, so if the school is growing it will get more money to work with and if it is shrinking it will get less.

You can't be denied admission to a public institution because you are black, but a college can have a very low minority enrollment and get away with it. In some places, blacks and others either don't want to go to college or can't make the grades to get into college, so their numbers are very small. There are also some places with very small black populations and without an athletics program the schools' black student population would be almost zero.

My experience is that any diversity related incentives aren't usually stated explicitly out in the open, but they sometimes factor into things that are decided away from public view. By the way, welcome to Caste Football, mgginva!

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

I know this has been discussed here before. I remember hearing that it was "the 5% rule"--during the 80s to present, government officials put a lot of pressure on large state universities to increase their enrollment to includeat least 5% minorities. If they did not, they risked losing funds to universities that followed the rule. This is a partial reason for theincrease in black "scholar" athletes. I think Don or maybe JC knowsabout this subject.