Black Kickers/Punters

Bear-Arms

Mentor
You've ever notice their aren't any black kickers? The last one I remember played for the Giants I believe. It's odd they talk of black quarterbacks and coaches. They never try to push for a black punter or kicker. If they're scouting these kids from black highschools you would think they find atleast one black kicker. The scouts focus on one thing and leave out another?
smiley5.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bear-Arms thats a hilarious point!! The only black punter I remember is Roby.. think he punted for Miami??

Everybody's all for equal rights unless its about a white RB or a BLACK KIICKER!!
smiley36.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I often tell the story of my high school football team in a large inner city about 25 years ago. Only two white guys on the team that played: the QB and the punter/kicker. Same as almost all of the other schools. It was considered normal then and no one ever talked about it, except me (imagine that) and I thought it was funny too.

Bart

Hall of Famer
There is no mystery here. Blacks are known for their superior hip flexibility. White kickers are tight and stiff as a board. Having such a limited range of motion keepsthem locked in with little chance of deviation.But blacks, being so incredibly limber and loose, wind uphooking or shanking the ball all over the field.

Bart said:
There is no mystery here. Blacks are known for their superior hip flexibility. White kickers are tight and stiff as a board. Having such a limited range of motion keeps them locked in with little chance of deviation. But blacks, being so incredibly limber and loose, wind up hooking or shanking the ball all over the field.

smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif

G

Sometimes the best way to illustrate absurdity is by being absurd yourself. Thanks Bart! White guys should make the best kickers with their stiff hips and limited range of motion. I never thought of that.

speedster

Mentor
Ever wonder what happens when you have all-black schools playing each other.You probably don't see many booming punts or punts to pin a team deep in their own end.What about field goals? I suppose anything more than a 30 yarder is considered out of range.They are probably better off going for a 2 point conversion than to try and kick the extra point.What a mess their kicking game must be.Does anyone remember any black-American place-kickers that have played in the NFL.The only black kicker that I recall was Donald Igwebuke,who kicked for Tampa Bay,but I think he was Nigerian.

JohnRocker

speedster said:
The only black kicker that I recall was Donald Igwebuke,who kicked for Tampa Bay,but I think he was Nigerian.

All they can do is kick a soccer ball well. A football is far more diffiicult beacuse it's not round.

foreverfree

Mentor
speedster said:
The only black kicker that I recall was Donald Igwebuke,who kicked for Tampa Bay

Iggy also kicked for Minnesota per my 1997 Pro Football Encyclopedia (Macmillan).IIRC Igwebuike ended his career in the CFL after his NFL career went the way of Dexter Manley's.

As for black pro punters, I remember the Vikings in the late 70s and much of the 80s had one in Greg Coleman. Also does anyone recall Reggie Roby who punted for the Dolphins and Redskins?

John

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart, dude I about laughed my head off at your post at the top of the page. Man what a good one!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Roby just died recently at a young age.The one on the Giants (I can't remember his name either) had a "cannon leg" but shanked a lot of punts. He had no consistency whatsover. Bart, you were right!
smiley36.gif
Igwebuikwe or however it's spelled was busted for dealing heroin or some serious crimea decade or so ago. Anyone remember the details?

The Rams drafted a punter named Reggie Hodges in the 6th round last weekend. "Reggie" is usually a black name so I just looked him up and he is black, though probably from a black male/white female background:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/p/reggiehodg es.html

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cannon Leg....Hmm... I can hear it now. Kabooooom!
smiley36.gif

There was a black PK named Gene Mingo who was in the AFL from 1960-68. He was the regular kicker for Denver in the early 60's. He finished his career as the regular kicker for the Steelers in 1969-70. Remember him, Don? He was 17-44 in Field Goals (Source, The Sports Encyclopedia: Pro Football) for the Steelers in those two years. Mingo is the only black PK who was around for a long time. He's not very well-known, was considered an inconsistent kicker.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sport Historian, I don't remember Mingo or his staywith the Steelers. I'm old enough to, but the name draws a blank.

The only black kicker I've ever seen was in the CIS (Canadian University) At least I think he was black... it's hard to tell at glance and maybe he was just filling in for an injured teammate.

As a side note Ottawa Renegades QB Kerry Joseph (former NFL Safety) is alsohis teams emergency punter. There's no question the blacks can kick the ball as far as whites just as whites can run the ball as well as blacks (see Joseph's teammate RB Josh Ranek). This is just another example of the caste system at work.

And now that I think about it in the culture of American football the Kicker is not supposed to be 'an athlete' just a funny little man who sits on the sidelines and keeps to himself until it's time for him to go on thefield and miss a gamewinning field goal. This is less the case up here in Canada where apunter is often expected to be part of the coverage team and manyP/Kers are failed QBs or Recievers. This may be why Vanderjagt has such a hard time getting along with the NFL system by that's another story.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the board, Ta Waki Mumba. Nice informative post.

I posted this in another thread a few months ago when the topic was Vanderjagt. It's pertinent to what you were saying about the "funny little man who sits on the sidelines":

"I've been thinking for a while now about white kickers and the caste system, and I believe the white monopoly at this position benefits the current system. I've never heard a racially conscious white person make a positive comment about how all the kickers are white other than in a joking, self-deprecating kind of way, like they would if any other position in football was all white (other than long snapper). No one takes any particular pride in it.

"That would seem to be because the white kicker looks out of place on a football team, almost comically so at times. In soccer the same white monopoly would be a real asset in refuting false claims of "black athletic superiority," but in football what we have symbolically is the scrawny white kicker, and then the "real" football players, the big, tough black guys. It actually reinforces the basic propaganda line of the caste system.

"The kickers represent the white loser, the dork, the open object of contempt on the team. When he makes a kick he rarely gets credit, because that's what he's supposed to do. But when he misses a short field goal attempt, or shanks a punt . . . look out!

"Vanderjagt went the entire 2003 season without missing a field goal attempt. He had the greatest season at his position ever yet has earned no respect for it. He, like all placekickers and punters, is supposed to act the role of a step n' fetch it, thrilled just to be on the team."

Yeah it took me about a month to fall to the dark side and register...
smiley17.gif

This site still makes me a little uneasy but until people still talking about this sort of thing actually fixing it is going to be damn near impossible.

Maybe there should a seperate board for the CFL and CIS. There is a caste system in Canada but it's much weaker and well... different I guess.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good thoughts guys!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Ta Waki Mumba said:
Yeah it took me about a month to fall to the dark side and register...
smiley17.gif

This site still makes me a little uneasy but until people still
talking about this sort of thing actually fixing it is going to be damn
near impossible.

Maybe there should a seperate board for the CFL and CIS. There is a
caste system in Canada but it's much weaker and well... different I
guess.

What is it about castefootballl that makes you uneasy?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I was wondering that too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I can start a CFL section easily enough, but don't know if we have enough knowledgeable posters yet. We have Speedster and now Ta Waki Mumba, but after that? A couple guys wanted to start a section for European Basketball stars and thenquickly disappeared. I know Speedster wouldn't do that, just wondering if it's premature to do so at this time.. .

Don, It's not surprising that Gene Mingo draws a blank. He's something of a mystery man, didn't play in college. I have never seen an article about him anywhere. Once I read an article whose theme was the tremendous prejudice black athletes supposedly face, a brief comment that Mingo was the only regular black PK there has ever been. He was a 200 pounder who occasionally played RB and returned kicks. For his career (1960-70), he was 215-223 in extra points, 112-219 (51%) in field goals. Obviously, not a long-range kicker.

In 1969 with the 1-13 Steelers in Chuck Noll's first season, Mingo was 26-26 in EP, 12-26 in FG. In 1970, he was 5-18 in FG and lost his job, apparently. I remember reading one of Terry Bradshaw's books in which he blamed poor kicking by Mingo for a Steeler defeat during Bradshaw's rookie year in 1970.