Black Kickers and Punters

G

The complete lack of black kickers and punters (except the awfull Rodney Williams) is very weird. Is this another stereotype that needs to be taken down, like White RBs and CB's, orAsian athletes in general? What are the bad sterotypes of this league that need to be broken?

Kaptain

Master
Kicking and punting are not skills that are left up to the opinion of observers. Either you can kick or punt the ball far and accurately or you can't. Thus, these posiions are somewhat immune to the caste system which is based on biased opinion. This is why many kickers come out of D-II schools or even from rugby leagues. A stat is not subject to opinion. These positions are based soley on stats. Just look at adam vinateri.

White_Savage

Mentor
1. You have to actually be good at your job.

2. You don't get millions of dollars, disgusting amounts of hype, or societal permission to act like a total jackass.

So basically it's the very thing you're least likely to find a black doing. Hell, blacks can probably handle a shovel at least as well as those Mexicans working beside the HW, but you won't catch many of them doing it either.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kicking isn't glamorous enough to attract blacks, and you have no one to blame when you shank a kick. You're on an island, alone, and the outcome of the game often rests in your hands.

Er..on your foot.

See also: Scott Norwood, Adam Vinatieri, et al.

G

It sucks that such an important position on the field is so underappreciated. Often a kicker may lead the team in points scored, but they never get the credit they deserve. This doesn't happen in rugby, where a good kicker is as apreciated as a good ball runner (but usually they have to be both!).

A somewhat related point is that I read that there are now three Australian punters starting in the NFL despite having no actual gridiron experience. D.Bennet (Vikings), B.Graham (jets) and McBriar (Cowboys). All are VERY big for punters. Makes you think what the league would be like if American football was a world sport!

Kicking and punting are acquired skills rather than pure animal
athleticism. Whites will dominate any skill competition.
Take, for example, the high jump event in track and field. To the
uninitiated, it would appear to be a purely athletic contest, which
would normally be dominated by blacks. Not so the case. The
high jump is a precision SKILL, which Whites tend to master.
(Hard work, dedication, and all that...). Kicking and punting
require ceaseless repetition and ultra-fine tuning in order to maximize
performance. That is why many black colleges have White (or Arab)
kickers and punters on their rosters. (Don't believe me?
Check for yourself!)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Was the kicker for FSU white or black? I couldn't tell the other night.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think this proves the point. All-American Brian Morgan. Believe it or not, there are several SWAC schools who have and are increasingly recruiting white QB's as well. I know Jackson State has at least one in their stable.
Football04.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the punter, who was also the holder who flubbed the snap that would have tied the game, was indeed very black. but he played for Miami...check out his bio:
<DIV id=Content>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=black cellPadding=0 width=430 bgColor=#003300 borderColorLight=gray border=4>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=430 bgColor=#003300>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=440>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width=50>
number_button-39.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=center background=http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/mifl/graphics/mifl-mtt-bg.gif> Brian Monroe</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1 width=430 bgColor=#003300 border=0 valign="top">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=105>
259178.jpeg
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top width=321>
<TABLE width=321 bgColor=#003300 border=0 valign="top">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>
profile.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE width=160 align=top bgColor=#003300>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Class:
Junior
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Hometown:
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>High School:
Palm Beach Gardens HS
</TD></TR></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE width=160 align=top bgColor=#003300>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Height / Weight:
6-1 / 208
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Position:
Punter
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Experience:
2L
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Major:
Liberal Arts
</TD></TR></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>

</TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

CAREER: Developed into a fine punter in his second season...As a true freshman in 2003, weathered an up-and-down first season as the Hurricanes' punter...Showed consistency in 2004, with a turn-around that surprised observers...Tremendous athlete with great potential who could compete for the Ray Guy Award as college football's best punter over the next two seasons...

from the same bio, these are the numbers that will compel himpast the elite punters in the country! *that was sarcasm in cased you missed it* Punted 64 times for a 41.2-yard average and 36.8 net average. Less than impressive i'd say, but what do stats really mean, anyway... andtremendous athlete?!?!? when's the last time you saw that and punter mentioned in the same sentence? wow!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I must be going colorblind (at least for jerseys)or something. Thanks for the info.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's what I was talking about at JSU. This guy has been there for at least 2 years.

Meet%20S.%20Haren.jpg

JD074

Master
WhiteRB said:
Makes you think what the league would be like if American football was a world sport!

It depends. If most of the best international talent was white, like in basketball, they would probably stay in the European leagues for the most part. (Some would come over to play QB, OL, occasionally defense, and of course kicker, but I imagine that RB and CB would still be off limits.) Now if there was a lot of decent Hispanic talent, they'd be coming into the NFL in droves, like the MLB (and the country in general, heh heh.) So it would either stay mostly black like the NBA (despite the plethora of Euro talent) or the Hispanics would start pushing both whites and blacks out, a la MLB. My guess.

Kaptain

Master
The reason we don't see a huge push to get latino players in the NFL or NBA for that matter like we have seen in MLB is because they would have to displace mostly black players in the NFL or NBA. With the decline of American blacksin baseball they needed another minority to displace white players. The darker skin will always get the preferential treatment in the caste system.

Deacon

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
the punter, who was also the holder who flubbed the snap that would have tied the game, was indeed very black. but he played for Miami...check out his bio:
<DIV id=Content>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=black cellPadding=0 width=430 bgColor=#003300 borderColorLight=gray border=4><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=430 bgColor=#003300><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=440><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width=50>
number_button-39.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=center background=http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/mifl/graphics/mifl-mtt-bg.gif> Brian Monroe</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1 width=430 bgColor=#003300 border=0 valign="top"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=105>
259178.jpeg
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top width=321>
<TABLE width=321 bgColor=#003300 border=0 valign="top"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>
profile.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE width=160 align=top bgColor=#003300><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Class:
Junior
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Hometown:
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>High School:
Palm Beach Gardens HS
</TD></TR></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE width=160 align=top bgColor=#003300><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Height / Weight:
6-1 / 208
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Position:
Punter
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Experience:
2L
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
arrow.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>Major:
Liberal Arts
</TD></TR></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD>

</TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

CAREER: Developed into a fine punter in his second season...As a true freshman in 2003, weathered an up-and-down first season as the Hurricanes' punter...Showed consistency in 2004, with a turn-around that surprised observers...Tremendous athlete with great potential who could compete for the Ray Guy Award as college football's best punter over the next two seasons...

from the same bio, these are the numbers that will compel himpast the elite punters in the country! *that was sarcasm in cased you missed it* Punted 64 times for a 41.2-yard average and 36.8 net average. Less than impressive i'd say, but what do stats really mean, anyway... andtremendous athlete?!?!? when's the last time you saw that and punter mentioned in the same sentence? wow!

Never once have I seen a punter be described as being a tremendous athlete. It's all due to his race of course. Hell, if the waterboy was black they'd say the same thing. "Look how fast he pours the water! Good golly that man is a great athlete!"

JD074

Master
Good point, Kaptain. But does that mean that blacks were declining in boxing, too, or are they simply getting out-competed by the Hispanics? The media has really embraced a lot of these Latin fighters (black and non-black.) Of course that's an individual sport; an athlete's entire future isn't dependent on getting a Div. 1 scholarship. We all know football is the worst. But the Hispanics are not considered white and I think that would give them a leg up- perhaps not "pushing out" the blacks like I said, but certainly allowed to play alongside them, at every position (so some would get pushed out.) I've heard about college teams aggressively recruiting Samoan players overseas. Why not take a look at European rugby players, wrestlers, powerlifters, Strongmen, whatever? Eh. Not interested.

Of course many Hispanics are black anyway. If they played football they'd be all over the NFL landscape.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Kaptain Poop said:
The reason we don't see a huge push to get latino players in the NFL or NBA for that matter like we have seen in MLB is because they would have to displace mostly black players in the NFL or NBA. With the decline of American blacksin baseball they needed another minority to displace white players. The darker skin will always get the preferential treatment in the caste system.

Very well said, Kaptain. Keep this up and you'll be a general in no time.
smiley4.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
Southern Knight said:
Kicking and punting are acquired skills rather than pure animal
athleticism.  Whites will dominate any skill competition. 
Take, for example, the high jump event in track and field.  To the
uninitiated, it would appear to be a purely athletic contest, which
would normally be dominated by blacks.  Not so the case.  The
high jump is a precision SKILL, which Whites tend to master. 
(Hard work, dedication, and all that...).  Kicking and punting
require ceaseless repetition and ultra-fine tuning in order to maximize
performance.  That is why many black colleges have White (or Arab)
kickers and punters on their rosters.  (Don't believe me? 
Check for yourself!)

This remark sells White athletes short. (I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's also selling many Black athletes short.) I especially can't pass up your comments about high-jump, since this is exactly the argument Sailer and his ilk use to maintain their "whites are unexplosive, physically inferior" postion. So what it requires technique, everything in sports requires skill and technique. Even sprinting has it's technical aspects, to say nothing of many other events blacks are generally known for being good at it. The ultimate example, boxing, talk about hours of ceaselessly honing techniqe. So yeah, blacks can master the technique, whites are just better at exploding their bodies high into the air, which is not surprising, since they have a higher strength-to-weight ratio generally, which is an example of "animal ^%#$^%^#ing athleticism" if I ever saw one.

Kaptain

Master
JDO74, blacks are getting outcompeted buy Russians and Eastern Europeaners right now. Boxing is a bit different for two reasons; 1) It's competition based on weight class and 2) the amount of participation by any group of people is related to socio-economic class.

Hispanics in general are much smaller breed than most races and logically dominate lower divisions. Has there ever been a hispanic HW champ?

Boxing is pretty much limited to the inner city in America. I don't know of any boxing gyms in the area where I grew up. Even if there was one no parent in my part of the country would have allowed their kid to box. That's generally why whites disappeared from boxing from about the 70's until the about the late nineties. Because of the fall of the soviet union we now have an previously untapped resource of white boxers coming from a poor socio-economic class trying to box their way to riches.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Has there ever been a hispanic HW champ?

Uh.... ever hear of John Ruiz?

Edited by: White Shogun

G

i agree with kaptain poop..... i am a black guy but have too agree with most of the things i read on this site
smiley19.gif

Kaptain

Master
Come on white shogun you know John Ruiz doesn't count as a HW champion. Vitali is the only real HW champ.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I know, I know... just playing Devil's Advocate.
smiley36.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
Yes, Mestizos are a good example.

First, they are more or less considered good athletes, even though the genetic stock they are mixed from-Whites and AmerIndians, is *not* considered athletic by the pop culture.

Second, in pure meausurable attributes, they just don't tend to produce persons of freakish strength and endurance like Whites do, nor persons extremely gifted with footspeed, like blacks do. In fact, as far as running goes, if anything they're known for tending towards short-leggedness and being slower than both blacks AND Whites.

Yet they play many sports well, and by virtue of unscientific and unproven "The darker the skin, the better the athlete" assumptions, get all the social and practical benefits that come from the aura of supposed superior athleticism.

JD074

Master
Hey KP. I agree that boxing is much different than football, for reasons that we've pointed out, but I agree with White Savage that they are considered good athletes, more respected than white ones (even if it's totally illogical.) If there was a hierarchy, it would probably look like:

1) Black (including those from Latin America)
2) Non-black Hispanics
3) Whites
4) Asians

I think Hispanics are highly regarded enough that they would be allowed to play RB and CB if they were playing the game enough to have a decent talent pool. As we all know, Hispanics will literally risk death to get the hell out of their own country to come here. Baseball is one way they're doing that. If they ever grab ahold of football, while it will be different than baseball and boxing, the "Latin invasion" would still be quite formidable.

Hispanics in general are much smaller breed than most races and logically dominate lower divisions. Has there ever been a hispanic HW champ?

And look at how small many of the RB's and CB's are. They'll fit in quite nicely! Edited by: JD074