Ballpark Statue 'Too White'

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Planned sculpture ignites race debates in Portland

By Jenna Russell, Globe Staff | March 12, 2006

The subject of the bronze sculpture could hardly be less shocking -- mom, dad, and two children heading to a baseball game. But the artwork, commissioned by the owner of the popular minor league baseball team in Portland, Maine, has provoked a standoff between the city's would-be benefactor and its public art committee.

The Portland Public Art Committee has balked at accepting the gift of the statue, which would stand outside Hadlock Field, the home park of the Double A Portland Sea Dogs, because it includes the team logo, a form of advertising, and at 10 feet high is too large, some members said.

But another criticism of the sculpture has unleashed an angry backlash and prompted debate in the city about the role of public art: Some committee members expressed concern that the all-American family depicted in the sculpture is white. Portland has enough statues of white people, they said.

Those comments, reported by the Portland Press Herald, have unleashed a flood of criticism by residents of Maine and other states who called the public art committee arrogant, out-of-touch, and ungracious. Of 111 public comments posted on the newspaper's website, more than 100 called for the statue to be accepted.

''I'm not racist, but there's nothing wrong with white people," Melissa Wolf of Scarborough said. ''Every city is different, and here, we're the majority. I don't see why diversity has to be shoved down our throats."

Portland's 64,000 residents were 91 percent white in 2000, according to the US Census Bureau. Maine was 97 percent white.

The controversy was touched off when the Press Herald quoted committee member Jack Soley as saying Portland had enough ''white folks on pedestals" in its Wednesday edition. On Friday, Soley, a local real estate developer and vice chairman of the public art committee, did not deny his earlier comment. But he backed away from the remark, saying an artwork's representation of racial diversity ''is not in our guidelines, it's not something we are required to consider, so it should not influence our decision whether or not to recommend something to the City Council.".

The fate of the bronze family remains uncertain. A lawyer for Sea Dogs owner Dan Burke said he sees no need to ask the artist, New York sculptor Rhoda Sherbell, to make the figures smaller or remove the team logo, as the public art committee has urged.

''The sculpture is based on the vision of the artist, it's probably 97 percent done, and we continue to believe it is an excellent gift, a very expensive gift, to the city," said the lawyer, William Troubh. ''It's not like a holiday gift -- it can't be exchanged."

The Sea Dogs, affiliated for the last three years with the Boston Red Sox, have been wildly successful in the 12 years they have played in Portland, regularly filling the 7,000 seats of Hadlock Field.

The final decision on the statue rests with the Portland City Council. James Cohen, Portland's mayor and the council chairman, said he expects the sculpture to be accepted. ''My view is that the city should not evaluate works of art based on gender, race, or family status," he said.

The disagreement comes as the nine-member public art committee had begun to expand the city's art collection, after several years of focusing on repairs to existing works. After a long period of stagnation, the committee was reorganized and reenergized with a new set of guidelines and a new source of funding, about six years ago. The city now allocates about $50,000 per year, a tiny percentage of its capital improvement budget, to pay for the maintenance of public art and new acquisitions.

In part, the committee's work is meant to enhance the city's growing reputation as a thriving center for arts and culture. Last year, Portland was ranked seventh in the book ''The Best Small Art Towns in America." But increasing attention to public art can also breed controversy.

In Boston, where oversight of public art also has been beefed up in recent years, the city's decision to oust a longstanding sculpture from the Boston Common this winter was met with outrage by some Polish-Americans. About 150 people protested the decision outside City Hall earlier this month, saying the removal of the unpopular aluminum ''Partisans" showed a lack of respect for their heritage.

''People have strong opinions about public art," said Carol Burns, a Boston architect and a member of the city's arts commission. ''If art is for the public, should there be more public input? I would say excellent work comes out of the artist's ideas, and that has to be respected."

But artists bear extra responsibility when working in the public realm, she said. ''We have worked very closely with artists, and they have told us the work is stronger for the involvement," said Burns.

In Portland, public art committee leaders said their troubles resulted from the donor's failure to collaborate with the city. Committee members learned of the sculpture's existence two weeks ago, when they were shown photos of a clay model, although committee guidelines state that ''installing works of art in public spaces must be viewed as a partnership between the City and the potential donor/artist in conception, design and implementation."

The guidelines also stipulate that donated artworks ''shall not contain commercial advertising."

''At the end of the day, the work has to be timeless," said Soley. ''I hope the Sea Dogs remain here for hundreds of years, but we know that minor league affiliations change with the seasons."

The sculpture, which would stand on the sidewalk, should be smaller so that pedestrians can interact with it, he said.

Burke, who has owned the team since it came to Portland, came up with the idea for a public sculpture six years ago, before the art committee had adopted its new guidelines, his lawyer said. The gift was meant to show appreciation for the fans who have warmly embraced the team, Troubh said.

Troubh said that Burke was not available for comment. The artist declined to comment when reached by phone.

Supporters of the statue said that even if the team leaves, the sculpture would be a monument to local history. Some also wondered how the race of the bronze figures can be pinpointed.

Soley said he is happy to be challenged.

''I'm ecstatic to have public art front and center," he said. ''It can only be good for the city."
Edited by: Bear-Arms

JD074

Master
Bear-Arms said:
''I'm not racist, but there's nothing wrong with white people," Melissa Wolf of Scarborough said. ''Every city is different, and here, we're the majority. I don't see why diversity has to be shoved down our throats."

I applaud her for saying that, but it's so irritating how she had to make the mandatory "I'm not racist" disclaimer. The "System" has deeply implanted the fear in her mind that if she says anything controversial about race, people will be suspicious of her. We have to keep pounding away until white people become comfortable speaking their minds, and aren't intimidated by people who race bait them.