Armin Hary

freedom1

Mentor
Hey track buffs, there was an interesting blurb on p. 22 in the Dec 15th Sports Illustrated Faces in the Crowd issue. It said that in 1960, West German sales clerk Armin Hary broke the then world record for 100 meters of 10.1 by running a 10 flat in a meet in Zurich. The officials did not believe their stop watches, so they had him run again a half hour later, and he did it again.

There's a little picture of him in there too.

albinosprint

Mentor
that is the story. they felt he beat the gun. after protesting they ran the race again. his start was so amazing that he could have beaten Ben Johnson off the line. because people thought he was beating the gun they had him tested. the result, his reflexes where 4x faster then the average person. I've seen video of his races, as the gun go off and all the other runners are on their way to their first step he is already on his third. it would be interesting to see how he would stand up against the block sensors of today. 10.0 hand timed on cinder track w/ 4 spikes per leathery shoe = ? auto timed, rubber track and modern spikes.

albinosprint

Mentor
here is link to the 1960 Olympic games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2j-Zfug4iA

unfortunately this doesn't show off his great start.

if I'm not mistaken, do to his ridiculously fast starts, he was given a false start and had to wait in the blocks. and he still won the gold!

albinosprint

Mentor
oh, one more thing. that race was a white sweep!

Olympic Games Rome 1960

100m Men's Final

1. Hary Armin (GER) - 10.2
2. Sime David (USA) - 10.2
3. Radford Peter (GBR) - 10.3

note to all up and coming white sprinter:

YOU CAN DO IT! and dont forget it!

I wonder if he suffered from Tourette syndrom. People with this affliction typically have reaction times of 1/3 to 1/5 of a normal human.

freedom1

Mentor
I don't know. The articles on him are all in German. From the pics it looks like he's still in good health and happy. One of the pics had him standing there with what I think were 3 grandkids.

It's a very intriguing story. I wish there was more on him. To the world he was just some genetic oddity, not famous like football or soccer players. Can you imagine what he would've done the football 40 in?

albinosprint

Mentor
Armin Hary (born March 22, 1937) is a German athlete. In 1960 he became the first non-American to win the Olympic 100 m since 1928.

Born in Quierschied, after playing football in his youth, Hary switched to sprinting at age 16. Only a few years later, in 1958, he won his first international titles when he came first in the 100 m and the 4 x 100 m at the European Championships.

That same year, Hary appeared to have run a new World Record with a time of 10.0 seconds, but the track's slope of 11cm was found to exceed the maximally allowed 10cm. In 1960, another try at the World Record seemed to have failed again, after judges believed Hary's start of another 10.0 race had been false - Hary was well-known for his fast starts. In a re-run at the same evening, Hary finally set the World Record.

That same year, at the Olympics, he achieved his greatest moment of fame. After a nerve-racking number of near-starts, Hary sprinted to the gold in 10.2 seconds to become the first non-American winner of the event since Canadian Percy Williams.

In the final of the 4 x 100 m, Hary and his teammates appeared to have finished second behind the team of the United States, but 15 minutes after the final it was announced that the USA had been disqualified for an incorrect exchange. Germany's time, 39.5 equalled their own World Record.

albinosprint

Mentor
2007-01-15_182946_ArminHary.jpg
2007-01-15_183045_3.jpg
2007-01-15_183057_4.JPG
2007-01-15_183109_2.jpg

Alpha Male

Mentor
I'm just getting into track now and I love it. Reading articles like this gives me inspiration

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So why is it that we are going backwards?It is quite simply the media and government tearing down our confidence.That was a 1-2-3 sweep with white sprinters being the fastest guys in the world!Yet we are constantly told by idiots like Entine that it is not possible.Photos and Olympic Medals do not lie.It wasn't until the civil rights movement where most elite white sprinters started dissapearing.Gee,I wonder why!
smiley7.gif