2024 PGA Championship

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is shaping up to be potentially a great tournament, a throwback to the days of the Big Three or the Big Two of Nicklaus and Palmer. Rory McIlroy comes in as the winner of the last two PGA tournaments, including a runaway victory last week in which he went eight under during an eight hole stretch in the final round to go from two behind the leader Xander Schauffele to lapping the field. It was Rory at his best and the PGA this week is at Valhalla in Louisville, where McIlroy won the event in 2014 but hasn't won a major since. So all signs are positive. It's pretty amazing that for years the question was, when will Rory win the Masters to complete the rare career grand slam. Now the question has become, will Rory ever win another major. I hope this is the week he gets it done.

Scottie Scheffler has won four of his last five tournaments, including the Masters. He finished second in the one tournament he didn't win. His wife recently gave birth so he missed the two tournaments Rory won. He's been dominant this year in a way that's rarely been seen on the Tour so it's easy to see the hype preceding this major, now let's hope it lives up to its promise.

I made the mistake of turning on Rabbi Lerner's "Live from" intro. The good rabbi's lead story was Tiger's goatee, then Tiger's opinion of Scottie Scheffler. Of the top five stories promoted, three were about Woods. Lerner is as despicable as any media change agent out there and I immediately turned the channel to the Bruins-Panthers game. I won't watch any of Lerner's propaganda this week and so will enjoy the tournament a lot more. Majors in golf rarely disappoint.

I agree Don. I would actually love to see a Scheffler/ Rory battle down to the wire. However, I don't expect Scheffler to be at the top of his game given the birth of his first child over the past month or so.. That being said he frequently fails to disappoint and is easily the # 1 player in the game. It should be a great tournament regardless. Chamblee is usually the only commentator that provides a sanity check on his peers. He's a bit harsh sometimes but worth a watch to counter Lerner.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good point about Scheffler. It won't be a surprise though if he's right back on top of his game again.

I like Chamblee most of the time. He's a historian of golf and does a lot of deep dives into stats and other factors and has a lot of enthusiasm for what he does. But when it comes to Woods he's Lerner's reliable sidekick; both are masters of injecting Woods into any and every conceivable topic.

Chamblee may just be covering his butt as he came under criticism circa 2018 for being too critical of His Highness. He made the proper adjustments at the time and never deviates now from the We Worship Tiger 24/7 media party line.

I like Paul McGinley a lot. He's quite sharp and like Chamblee is very knowledgeable about golf. And being a partisan of European golf (triumphant Euro Ryder Cup captain and a good Ryder Cup player in his day) he brings a welcome perspective that isn't PGA Tour-centric.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Xander Schauffele shot a sizzling -9 62 to take the first round lead by three strokes. Poor Xander is now firmly ensconsed as the holder of the unwanted title "Best Player Never to Win a Major." Phil Mickelson was rammed by the corporate sports media for a number of years before he broke through at the '04 Masters. Behind Schauffele is a very tightly bunched leaderboard.

Rory McIlroy is tied for fifth at -5. All the good performances and great karma leading into this event was abruptly changed when Mrs. McIlroy decided to serve a divorce petition on her husband this week. Great timing, bitch, you're only going to get several hundred million bucks, at least wait until this major was finished.

Scottie Scheffler is at -4 along with defending champion and three-time winner of this major Brooks Koepka. As mentioned the leaderboard is bunched and this looks to be setting up as a great major.

jphoss

Mentor
“He going to jail” black cop loving the fact he can arrest white athlete who is probably trump supporter. You can hear the joy in his voice

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I thought this was something out of the Babylon Bee when I saw the headline. Scottie Scheffler charged with a felony for assaulting a cop? Ridiculous! I believe Scottie's side of the story and blame the incident on a possible miscommunication combined with drastic police over-reaction.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
thought this was something out of the Babylon Bee when I saw the headline. Scottie Scheffler charged with a felony for assaulting a cop? Ridiculous! I believe Scottie's side of the story and blame the incident on a possible miscommunication combined with drastic police over-reaction
Out here on the coast of SC on vacation and trying to get on the CF site. WiFi is spotty where I'm at. Yeah it looks like the police over-reacted. I expect the charges to be dropped.
Hasn't affected Scheffler's play as he is -4 though 15 and in 4th place.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Scheffler finished today at -9 after two rounds, currently good for a tie for third.

I turned on the boob tube just in time to see Tiger Woods finish off a triple bogey on the second hole. The good news is that he's most likely going to miss the cut; the bad news is that ESPN will apparently torture us to the bitter end of Woods' participation in the tournament by showing us every last shot.

NikoDuke

Mentor
This has been a very engaging tourney so far. Lots of the key names at the top coupled with some youth trying to break through.
I feel Rory will once again disappoint me ( does to me every major) but, I have my secondary hopes on Scottie, Bryson or Hovland.

Good to see Woods struggle as I can not tolerate watching him any longer.

Also, Black/Woke Twitter is losing their minds of Scottie being released from county. Calling it a case of White male privilege..guess they've never heard of Tiger Woods of the countless NFL athletes..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rory just had a really bad double bogey. All double bogeys are bad, on this one he hit a perfect tee shot in the middle of the fairway of a par four then hit a terrible short iron into a bunker and continued to butcher it from there. He's currently eight shots back, not completely out of it but not showing the spark of brilliance he had just last week and that he used to have when he was winning majors. Maybe Rory will yet win this one but it appears he's gone so long now without winning a major that he has a mental block that leads to him tightening up just enough at the big events to prevent a breakthrough win. It may have started years ago when he blew the lead in the Masters when he had his first chance to wrap up the career grand slam.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After two rounds it's a very bunched leaderboard and a non-White one at the top. Xander Schauffele leads at -12, followed by Collin Morikawa at -11 and then Sahith Theegala at -10. After that comes such names as Scottie Scheffler (-9), Bryson DeChambeau (-9), Viktor Hovland (-8) and Brooks Koepka (-7). There are 17 players at -7 or better and five more at -6. Rory McIlroy at -4 is currently tied for 34th place, looks like yet another disappointing major for him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rory has heated up and is now at -9 only three shots back of Morikawa and Schauffele. Louisville native and two-time PGA champ Justin Thomas is also -9 now. Jordan Spieth is having a nice round and is -6, six strokes behind the leaders.

Still a very congested leaderboard, tomorrow is setting up to be a great final round.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Rory has heated up and is now at -9 only three shots back of Morikawa and Schauffele. Louisville native and two-time PGA champ Justin Thomas is also -9 now. Jordan Spieth is having a nice round and is -6, six strokes behind the leaders.

Still a very congested leaderboard, tomorrow is setting up to be a great final round.
Sigh..Rory did it again. Got me interested only to fizzle out. Not a bad round of 3 under but, not enough as he's looking up at a very crowded leaderboard..

Rooting for Bryson or Hovland. And wouldn't be disappointed to see Lowry take it either..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rory's most likely out of it unless he comes close to doing what Shane Lowry did today. But it's an amazingly bunched leaderboard and hopefully tomorrow's final round will be memorable. DeChambeau, Lowry and Hovland are just two shots back, Justin Rose shot a great round and is only three shots back, while Justin Thomas is five back. Lots of other golfers in the mix, Spieth and McIlroy on the far fringes of contention at -8 while Morikawa and Schauffele lead at -15.

Valhalla is one of those courses that seems to always result in great finishes, so hoping that's the case again on Sunday.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Yeah Rory's out of it once again. Most talented golfer of his generation but, can't put it together consistently..

I neglected to mention Thomas as he's been out of the mix for over a year but, it would be a good story for him to win his 3rd major win. I've always admired the relationship between JT and his father..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Charges against Scheffler expected to be dropped. That's the smart move, recognizing a mistake was made by over zealous cops and quickly rectifying it.

But watch how black supremacists, anti-Whites and other haters will mention this in support of their agenda for years, as if Scottie, a mild-mannered devout Christian who was never before arrested in his life, is some White thug who used his "privilege" to escape accountability.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Xander Schauffele goes wire to wire to capture his first major, winning with a score of -21, the lowest ever for a major. He had a final round 65 and had to hold off Bryson DeChambeau who shot 64 and finished -20. Schauffele is the third ranked player in the world.

Viktor Hovland was on fire too and even held the lead briefly before fading at the end. Schauffele had to sink a 6 foot birdie putt on 18 to avoid a playoff with DeChambeau. The putt began to lip out before falling in. Great championship event, very enjoyable top-level golf.