2009 Texas A&M Aggies

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Texas A&M

Here are the white starters for A&M this year. They had 7 last year, 8 in 07, 9 in 06, and 8 again in 05. So we are back up to 8 for the Aggies.

Offense

FB Anthony Vela

LT Danny Baker

LG Michael Shumard

C Kevin Matthews

RG Matt Alenn

RT Lee Grimes

Defense

DT Jordan Patterson

DE Matt Moss

MLB Kyle Mangan

Edited by: Jack Lambert

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
White CB Jordan Peterson is currently listed as a backup, but will hopefully become a starter at some point this season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
itsme said:
What about Ryan Tannehill the WR/QB?

He's second string QB right now.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Tannehill is currently 2nd on the depth chart to starting QB Jerrod Johnson.

Hopefully Peterson will be able to pry the job away from Justin McQueen.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
green fire317 said:
does anyone know how fast jordan peterson is?

Jordan has run a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash. Most places have him listed as running a 4.4. Funny how most blacks get the number rounded down while the number is rounded up for a lot of whites. So, if a black ran a 4.39, he's a 4.3 guy. If a white players runs the same time, he's a 4.4. guy. Pathetic double standard once again!
smiley7.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Snow plow alertin the Big 12 south!
smiley32.gif

SteveB

Mentor
Peterson also has the school record for vertical leap, 41 inches!! He will be the starter. He was hurt during spring practice and McQueen had a good spring, but doesn't have any game experience and is a former walk on.

Tannehill will be a starting WR. He was a Freshman All-Big 12 last year.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Ok Steve, I'll take your word for it right now. I'll update the depth chart and list them as being in a fight for their positions. White WRs and especially CBs can always get demoted without a reason.Edited by: Jack Lambert

SteveB

Mentor
It looks like I was wrong on Tannehill and he will be stuck as the backup QB. On an up note, Lucas Patterson will be moved to DL to lighten up the defense.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082409aad.html

Texas A&M Football Daily Report

Aug. 24, 2009

COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The Texas A&M football team began the final week of fall camp with a pair of workouts on Monday. The Aggies went for two-and-a-half hours in full pads on the Coolidge Practice Fields in the morning, then drilled for 90 minutes inside the McFerrin Athletic Center in the afternoon.

Following the second session, head coach Mike Sherman said that he has come to a decision at the quarterback position for the season opener against New Mexico on Sept. 5.

"The way it finished up, we have two number ones that I'm very excited about," Sherman said. "I believe in both our quarterbacks and am equally happy with both, but the nod will go to Jerrod (Johnson) as our starter for the first ballgame and we'll go from there. They've both had an outstanding camp and their numbers are almost identical. They are great kids, they work hard each day and they keep getting better."

Sherman was asked about the possibility of moving sophomore Ryan Tannehill, who is competing with Johnson for the starting role, back to wide receiver.

"Ryan's going to be a heck of a quarterback here," Sherman said. "Are there going to be some situations where he'll be on the field? Possibly. But right now we're still focusing on the quarterback aspect of it."

Junior Lucas Patterson, who made 11 starts on the defensive line in 2008, made the switch back to that position prior to Monday's workouts. He had been working through the fall on the offensive side of the ball.

"I thought Lucas was making progress on offense," Sherman said. "I hate moving guys around, but I felt like more than anything else that the development of the young defensive linemen has been very slow. We really need to have Lucas on defense. He'll help us be better on defense, and ultimately that was the answer. I would still prefer to have him on offense if all things were even, but they weren't. We just needed a run-stopper on defense and that's what he is. He's an unselfish player and said he'll do whatever it takes to win and help us be a better football team. If he had his preference I think he'd rather be on offense, he made that commitment, but he saw the same things I saw. I'm glad we did it."

Junior transfer Coryell Judie practiced with the team for the first time this fall as well on Monday. The Marlin, Texas product is not yet allowed to don full pads per NCAA acclimation rules and went through light drills in shorts and a helmet.

SteveB

Mentor
I have been reading through all of the Fall camp reports for the Aggies. Jordan Peterson had been having a great camp as a starting CB, including an interception in one of the scrimmages. Then, towards the end of camp, he was blindsided on a running play and re-injured his shoulder. He will be out for a couple of weeks of the season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hate to hear that about Jordan, SteveB. Checking out some other white starters, it looks like Matt Alenn will start at RG. Danny Baker will start at LT. Anthony Vela looks to start at FB.

On defense, Kyle Mangan is listed as the starting MLB and Lucas Patterson is at DT.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
I have been reading through all of the Fall camp reports for the Aggies. Jordan Peterson had been having a great camp as a starting CB, including an interception in one of the scrimmages. Then, towards the end of camp, he was blindsided on a running play and re-injured his shoulder. He will be out for a couple of weeks of the season.

Even in a full contact practice why the hell would a teammate blindside him like that? Sounds like it was either a guy too pumped up and going overboard or maybe an angry dirty hit.
smiley5.gif

SteveB

Mentor
green fire317 said:
i wonder if it was a black who was mad that a brutha wasnt starting at cb.
Yes, it was a black freshman WR that blindsided him. I don't know his intentions, but I wouldn't be surprised if race didn't have something to do with it.Edited by: SteveB

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
A&M got absolutely crushed by Kansas State (62-14). Is Kansas State really THAT good?

Jerrod Johnson had negative rushing yards, threw 3 picks, and had a completion % under 50.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/1128770

Looking at the game-by-game stats, he did quite well against scrub teams (UAB, New Mexico, Utah State), but he is prone to struggling against more legit opponents. I didn't think Kansas State was a legit program again, though. One of the oddest scores of the weekend.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
where the hell has Jordan Peterson gone?

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
where the hell has Jordan Peterson gone?

At the end of fall camp, a freshman bruva WR blindsided him, when Peterson had his job locked up.
smiley18.gif

SteveB

Mentor
Deadlift said:
A&M got absolutely crushed by Kansas State (62-14). Is Kansas State really THAT good?

Yea, it was embarrassing. I had to scrape my "Texas A&M Former Student" bumper sticker off of my truck yesterday. People were driving by me in traffic and laughing.

I have no updates on Peterson since the end of fall camp, but it doesn't look good for him.Edited by: SteveB