2009 Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's the first Deep South preview of the year and it doesn't look good. Of course, in Hattiesburg, things never do.

Offense
QB Austin Davis
LT Kyle Burkhart
LG Micah Brown
C Cameron Zipp
RG Ryan Hebert

Defense
DT Rolando Barragan

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<div>Fedora lifts suspension on star black RB-no surprise here!

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora has lifted the suspension of record-setting running back Damion Fletcher.</div>
Fletcher has been suspended since firing a gun in the parking lot of an
apartment complex last winter. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor last
March and was sentenced to six months probation and community service.

Fedora
told the crowd Thursday at an alumni event in Jackson that the senior
from Biloxi has done everything asked of him since his suspension with
the goal of returning for his senior season.

Already Southern
Miss' leading career rusher, the former Conference USA offensive player
of the year could become the ninth player in Bowl Subdivision history
to rush for 1,000 yards in each of his four seasons.http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9817880/Southern-Miss-coach-lifts-star-RB%27s-suspension

Has anyone heard about this yet???

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/10/09/southern-miss-punter-peter-wilkes-still-alive-in-grave-conditio/

This seems like a very bizarre situation. Regardless of how it happened, I hope and pray he makes it out alive!

Southern Miss Punter Peter Wilkes Still Alive, in Grave Condition Posted Oct 09, 2009 5:00PM By Michael David Smith (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Southern Miss Email Print Share Text SizeAAA

Peter Wilkes

Hours after Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora released a statement mourning the death of punter Peter Wilkes, the school said that Wilkes is not dead. But Wilkes is reportedly in grave condition after a gun accident in his home on Thursday night.

College Football Talk reports that "Wilkes suffered an irrecoverable injury Thursday night." The Associated Press retracted a story saying Wilkes was dead, adding, "Southern Miss officials and police now say Wilkes is alive." The AP says a new story about Wilkes will be published soon.

On Friday morning Southern Miss published a story on its web site saying Wilkes had died, but as of 5 PM ET Friday, that story has been removed and no more information about Wilkes is on the web site.

Details are still unclear about what exactly happened to Wilkes, but he apparently was shot in an accident at his family home in Tennessee.

UPDATE: The Associated Press reports that Wilkes is being treated in a critical care unit for what police say is under investigation as an accident or self-inflicted gunshot wound. Follow me on Twitter @MichaelDavSmith for further updates on this story.

Riddlewire

Master
Electric Slide said:
"Wilkes suffered an irrecoverable injury Thursday night."

I've heard that term before. I think that means he's in a permanent vegetative state (ie massive brain trauma). That's one reason to call him "dead".

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I read that he was dead this morning. Sad stuff.

There are several things I don't understand about this situation. My first question is why was he at home in Tennessee on Thursday when they have a game against Louisville on Saturday? This seems very odd, because he would be missing class and/or practice. Now, I don't know about the circumstances of the injuries, but I still don't get why he was away. Was he being pushed away as a member of the team? There are a lot of un-answered questions. All I hop for is that he has somehow not suffered severe brain damage and will live through all of this, regardless of what happened and how.

Bear Backer

Mentor
The first thing I heard was that he was dead, then that he was alive, dead again and now I am assuming the official story is that he alive again, is that correct? Very sad and confusing story. I was infuriated to tune in to ESPN radio on Thursday only to have them making light of the situation. The disgusting shock sports jock was basically wondering if you could laugh about a situation where the person involved was initially pronounced dead, only to then learn that he may be alive. It was really disgusting. I fail to see how there would be any humor in a situation like that where you are talking about a young man's life. I understand he was referring to the media circus and not the actual accident, but still, have a little class. It is not like the situation involved some low class criminal gang banger who was doing something criminal and stupid and is better off being off the streets before they can harm someone else. Just a college kid who may have been injured in an accident or was suffering from some kind of deep seeded emotional issues and inflicted the wound on himself. Anything for ratings in America I guess.Edited by: Bear Backer