2009 Michigan Wolverines

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Might as well add something although a little off topic. Someone on Youtube accused me of making excuses 100% of the time for white players playing poorly. I will counter this by saying that I don't think Kyle Eckel ever showed me any signs- even though he only got garbage time carries- to make me think he could cut it as a tailback in an NFL team's rotation. He's also a bit too small for fullback.

So maybe it's only 99% of the time that hate on a white skill player is irrational!

why do you care if negro lovers get upset that you support White athletes?

the DWFslove the darkies no matter what, so who gives a damn if they get upset over us supporting our own. getting defensive and trying to placate the idiot negrophiles is stupid.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
also, Rich Rodriguez is a piece of crap. plain and simple.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well put in both posts, Jimmy!
smiley32.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Let me give some input about the Wolverines from a guy who lives in Ann Arbor. The program was headed for disaster and RichRod was on the way out before the season started. The scandal over extra practice time was at first another nail in his coffin but what happened is it rallied the team and more importantly for him the fans.

The fans interpreted the media driven scandal as an attack on Michigan more then Rick Rod and rallied them to support the program as expected. Wins over WMU and ND and it looks like one today against EMU will make them 3-0 with some more soft teams coming up. This will return UM to the rankings and probably give them enough wins to ensure a a bowl invite.

The arrival of Tate Forcier a genuine talent at QB will make them competitive in most games. BTW the defense is HORRIBLE and will probably cost them games against the better programs like Penn State and OSU.

Anyway no matter how you feel about Rodriguez he is here for a while now. Unless the team collapses later in the season he will be seen as having turned around the program after the worst year in UM history. That means UM will soon get even blacker. Always a black friendly program the team did almost always have a white QB, offensive line, and tight ends. That will soon end and the team will look like WVU.

Along with Zook at Illinois expect the Big 10 to get a lot darker. The conference has been getting beat pretty good by other conferences and since the conference is already considered "whiter" then other conferences the trend will be towards spread offenses and more "speed" which we all know what that means.

It looks like Sam McGuffie was the last gasp of any hope of the University of Michigan turning the corner on being so pro-black. Needless to say I am totally bummed out about it. I have followed this program closely since a young kid, over 40 years, it's been a big part of family get togethers, something I do with my best friends, and a fixture on Saturdays during the autumn. Like any divorce it will be tough.

I had hoped RichRod was going to be gone and it looked so promising as recently as 3 weeks ago. No more. He's here as long as he wants now. Unless a big scandal hits, which is possible because he's such a POS capable of screwing up anything good.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<div> </div>

<div>ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez says center
David Molk needs surgery after breaking a bone in his foot and expects
him to be out 4-to-6 weeks.
</div>
Rodriguez said Monday he plans to start David Moosman in Molk's place
this week when the 23rd-ranked Wolverines (3-0) host Indiana (3-0) in
the Big Ten opener.

Molk
injured his foot in the first half of Saturday's win over Eastern
Michigan and played in the second half. Rodriguez says it's "a tough
blow" to lose Molk.

Moosman, who has snapped in practice, missed a game after dislocating a shoulder the previous week against Notre Dame.http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10073516/Michigan-loses-C-Molk-to-foot-injury
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Update to Michigan's depth chart.

Rocko Khoury or David Moosman will replace Molk at Center.

True Freshman Craig Roh starts at OlB.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Detroit news article on Jordan Kovacs now starting at safety at Michigan. Typical white walk on story with constant comparison to the movie "Rudy". No other glaring caste-speak however.

White guys that play as walk on's must be the most driven people in the world. I can't imagine the amount of work they go through and the set-backs, and that's just the success stories, how many guys don't make it at all. Anyway here's to Jordan and Michigan finally having a white guy not at a caste position.

Walk-on outdoes his inspiration, rises to U-M starter

Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News
Ann Arbor -- It should not come as a shock Jordan Kovacs owns the movie "Rudy," the story of hard-knocks Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger who defied all odds, walked on to the Notre Dame football team in the mid-70s and eventually dressed for a game.

Kovacs is Michigan's "Rudy," a redshirt freshman from the Toledo area who, aside from the offer of preferred-walk-on status from Toledo, garnered no interest from a college football team.

Instead of going the safe route and enrolling at Toledo, Kovacs followed in the footsteps of his father, Louis, a walk-on defensive back at Michigan who saw brief playing time against Purdue in 1982.

After making the team through a student-body tryout, he now is a starting safety, about to make his fourth start on Saturday against Penn State. Kovacs earned his first start against Indiana last month.

"When I first tried out, I kind of had the goal of over the course of four years hopefully making a special team or something," Kovacs said Monday. "My dad walked on and he played three minutes in the Purdue game, kind of scrub time, and I kind of expected that that's what all walk-ons do. So I guess this is definitely more than I ever expected."

Kovacs twice tried out for the team, and yes, before each tryout, he watched "Rudy" for inspiration. He made the team before last season but during a follow-up interview with trainers, revealed he'd had knee surgery his senior year of high school and that the knee felt much as it had then. His chance was over because of the knee.

"I was definitely bummed," Kovacs said. "I remember going home and talking to my dad, 'Man, I don't know what to do.' "

Still, he remained persistent.

He worked hard, but also had another knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus, surgery he said he would not have undergone if he did not have the strong desire to play football.

He tried out again and made the team. Now, the knee feels "great," Kovacs said.

Kovacs said he started to realize he was close to playing after fall camp when he was moved to second-string free safety. Michigan has not been particularly deep on the defensive secondary this season.

"I was only one play away from being out there," he said. "Sure enough, in the Notre Dame game Mike (Williams) cramped up, and I found myself out on the field."

There was no time for nerves against Notre Dame, and even before his first start against Indiana, Kovacs said the magnitude of making his first start didn't rattle him.

He moved from free to strong safety two weeks ago and is second on the team with 45 tackles (17 against Michigan State).

Now, Kovacs is getting recognized. Even by the guys who now know him best.

"Yeah, I think teammates have actually learned my name," he said, laughing. "I noticed that after I played the first game."

What were they calling him before?

"Everything," he said, still laughing. "I heard (defensive coordinator Greg) Coach Robinson said that he didn't know my name before fall camp this year. I guess he knows it now."

Said tight end Kevin Koger, who grew up in Toledo, attended Whitmer and played against Kovacs (Clay) in high school: "The starters, we all noticed (how hard Kovacs works). If the coach tells him to be at this spot, this time, he's going to be there because he's so fundamentally sound and disciplined. You can see it in the weight room and the field -- he's so disciplined."

Perhaps struggle and perseverance are what make Kovacs who he is. A dream sometimes isn't enough, but having that dream and desire tested often is what leads to success.

"I always believed I was going to play football at the University of Michigan," he said.

But belief isn't always enough, either. There's an unwritten walk-on creed that goes something like this -- work hard and make the team better. Nothing more. No one ever says a walk-on is going to get a chance to get on the field. But sometimes the stars align.

Just ask Rudy.

Or Jordan Kovacs.

"Every walk-on has got that mentality, that nothing can stop them, that they're going to go out there and play hard and do whatever it takes to make the team better," said Kovacs, who is paying his own way at Michigan. "If they happen to be out on the field, then so be it.

"I guess I've made the most of my opportunity so far."

Extra points
The plan is for center David Molk to practice all week and play Saturday.

Molk, a starter, missed the last four games recovering from surgery on a broken foot. David Moosman moved from right guard to replace Molk at center.

... Senior tailbacks Brandon Minor (ankle) and Carlos Brown (concussion) sat out Saturday's game against Delaware State but should be ready for Penn State.

... Freshman quarterback Tate Forcier , who had headaches early last week because of a concussion, played one series against Delaware State. Rodriguez said Forcier, who also has had an injury to his right (throwing) shoulder, has not gone through an entire week of practice the last three weeks.

referendum

Mentor
Jaxvid, thanks for this article about Kovacs. Its great that not only he is starting but also that he is only a freshman. Hopefully he is a fixture for the next few years at Michigan.

I'm happy to Jordan having success on the field! Yes, I truly do believe anything is possible. Well intended people I think is one of the problems with the caste system. I'm sure his coaches in high school did not think it was possible for him to be a safety at Michigan, let alone start. People like that discourage young white athletes from doing more than the "experts" think they can. Well, the best expert on the potential is the individual person them self.

While being on the football team definitely has its perks (sweet gear, jerseys with your own name on it, shoes that you don't possibly need for football but get to wear outside, athletic trainers, per deim money, playing in front of 100,000 plus, training table meals, free campus parking pass, $500 a year to buy clothes [yes, believe it or not its true], and and yeah you're on the fb team!) I certainly hope he is able to get a scholarship. It certainly sucks to see your teammates picking up their checks and flashing their money around when you don't get to!

This team is in full out destruction mode. This week it's reported that their AD got into two physical confrontations with students (including a female), they had another mind boggling loss, an audit finds that the 2008 practice logs were never filed (if you don't know, the NCAA is investigating whether Michigan has been exceeding the practice limits), their starting quarterback Forcier and coach get into a shouting match early in the week because Forcier is not "concentrating" enough on the field or in the classroom, Rodriguez has Forcier run plays with the 2nd team all week then decides to start him right before the game starts and I've seen twice on Michigan's message board complaining that Forcier smokes too much and I'm not talking about Camels.
Edited by: Fightingtowin

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
No wonder Sam McGuffie couldn't get out of there fast enough!!

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I can't stand Rich Rodriguez.

No matter what was done for him at WVU, it was never enough.

At this rate, he won't have a job at Michigan after 2010.