2009 Ball State Cardinals

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ball State started just 7 whites in 2007 and 2008, after having 14 in 2005 and 10 in 2006. Looks like things are getting whiter again over in Muncie aka-Middletown! Hopefully it will stay this way.

Offense
QB Kelly Page
WR(Z) Daniel Ifft
WR(X) Briggs Orsbon
LG Michael Switzer
C Kreg Hunter
RG Austin Holtz
RT Travis Arnold

Defense
LT Drew Duffin
WLB Sam Woodworth
FS Alex Knipp
SS Sean Baker

green fire317

Banned
good to see another team with two white safeties. Does anyone know how many teams have two white starting safeties this year?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
green fire317 said:
good to see another team with two white safeties. Does anyone know how many teams have two white starting safeties this year?

Nobody will really know that until the season begins, but we can at least speculate about it once the previews are done. Of course, you could search for that info yourself once the previews are finished.

Mike

Guru
Knipp and Baker are the best in the MAC. Orsbon was a stud as a true FROSH.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Mike said:
Knipp and Baker are the best in the MAC. Orsbon was a stud as a true FROSH.

Mike hit the nail on the head. even with their starting a new quarterback (which might hurt the passing numbers), these guys should be a lot of fun to watch.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
It will be interesting to see what Page can do. Nate Davis was a product of the offensive system the last coach installed...I do not recall his name right now. Ball St. does look like a good team to watch this season. I checked out some of their games last year and Briggs Orbson really stood out to me as a freshman.

Mike

Guru
Leonardfan said:
It will be interesting to see what Page can do. Nate Davis was a product of the offensive system the last coach installed...I do not recall his name right now. Ball St. does look like a good team to watch this season. I checked out some of their games last year and Briggs Orbson really stood out to me as a freshman.

You are incorrect. Coach Hoke has a defensive background. If you don't like Davis that's fine, but don't say he was the "product of the offensive system the last coach installed" when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Coach Stan Parrish recruited Davis while the QB coach in 2005 and is now the new HC after three years as the OC. Same system...

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
It was a spread system they ran out of so he was a product of it. I may have not got the coaches right but I did get the fact they ran out of a spread system correct.

Mike

Guru
Leonardfan said:
It was a spread system they ran out of so he was a product of it. I may have not got the coaches right but I did get the fact they ran out of a spread system correct.

So what? Tebow, McCoy, and Bradford all play in more of a "spread" system than Davis did. Ball State is actually remarkably balanced and conventional compared to what a lot of teams are running these days, including MAC rival CMU and their great QB Dan LeFevour.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i don't recall, but was Davis' draft status hampered by playing in a spread offense?

the reason i ask that is because the three quarterbacks Mike mentioned have all been criticized by NFL personnel for that reason, as well as numerous quarterbacks last season (Texas Tech's quarterback immediately jumps to mind).

Mike mentioned Dan LeFevour, and i agree with his assessment. LeFevour is great. anyone who's not seen him play needs to correct that. he's a heck of a football player.

Mike

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i don't recall, but was Davis' draft status hampered by playing in a spread offense?
<div> </div>
<div>the reason i ask that is because the three quarterbacks Mike mentioned have all been criticized by NFL personnel for that reason, as well as numerous quarterbacks last season (Texas Tech's quarterback immediately jumps to mind). </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Mike mentioned Dan LeFevour, and i agree with his assessment. LeFevour is great. anyone who's not seen him play needs to correct that. he's a heck of a football player.</div>

LeFevour is great, but I think from an athletic perspective he is actually a little behind EMU QB Andy Schmitt, who when healthy is really the ultimate spread QB. But LeFevour understands the game better than Schmitt and has a better arm, so that's why we will see LeFevour in the NFL and Schmitt trying to work his way onto a practice squad as a TE. The knock on Davis was his intellect. He has a learning disability and scored low on the Wonderlic. The stuff about saying he benefitted from the offense is pretty foolish considering the evolution of the QB position in college in today's day and age.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

Riddlewire

Master
Watching this North Texas v Ball State game, it's clear that Dodge has made some "tweaks" to his offense from last year. So far, UNT looks more like a RichRod team.
It's hard to tell from the crappy internet feed, but it looks like BSU is starting more than just the four whites listed on Defense. I didn't see the announcement of the starters. I'm not sure ESPN even does that any more.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ESPN doesn't do that. 2008 was the first year of that practice. I think its kind of a good sign that they don't do it. They are having to try to hide the inflated numbers of blacks on these teams to be able to prop up the Caste System. That's one way to look at it anyhow. I hope Ball State is starting more whites than what I listed. We'll have to take a look at their weekly release and see.