2008 Penn State Nittany Lions

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are Paterno's probable white starters for this season.

Offense

Offense
TE Mickey Shuler
LG Rich Ohrnberger
C A.Q. Shipley
RG Stefen Wisniewski
RT Dennis Landolt

Defense

SS Mark Rubin
LB Josh Hull
FS Anthony Scirrotto

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Scirrotto has a shot at the NFL though he may go the baseball route. This could be the only reason he survived the legal trouble he was in last year when he was charged with assaulting a student. Or it could be because all the other Penn State players charged in that incident were black, thus indicating that Scirrotto considers himself a homie, as Dan Connor (drafted by Carolina) was suspended half a season merely for making prank phone calls, while one black Penn State player after another has been slapped on the wrist for all sorts of serious crimes during Old Joe's current "enlightened" period.

whiteCB

Master
Once again no white QB. Man it seems Joe Pa has been having a fetish for black QBs these past few years.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
More on Joe Paterno's program of thugs. I used to have a lot of respect for Paterno and was angered by those urging him to retire as it reminded me of the endless badgering of Roger Clemens and Brett Favre about retirement by the media. No more. What's particularly galling is that (of course) the vast majority of these criminals are black and they've been treated by Paterno with kid gloves for even heinous crimes, while a great player like Dan Connor was singled out and humiliated merely for making some prank phone calls.

Paterno, you may recall, also echoed Fisher DeBerry's comments about only blacks having the speed to play football.
<DIV =story_line _counted="undefined">ESPN expose could undo Paterno
<DIV =story_lastupdate>Wednesday, July 30, 2008
<DIV =story_lastupdate>
<DIV =story_lastupdate>
<DIV =story_byline>By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
<DIV =story_><!-- LEFT: Joe Paterno
-->
Most college athletic programs like nothing better than for ESPN to visit their campuses. It's an almost certain guarantee of nonstop, slobbering happy talk about the greatness of that particular school and college athletics in general.
But if it's a visit from "Outside The Lines," the ESPN show that often takes a look at the seamy side of sports, well, that's different.
Penn State football received the "Outside The Lines" treatment Sunday, and it made the once-admired program looked like a renegade outfit with its revered coach seemingly out of touch with his team and its players.
The numbers were damning but no more so than the responses from coach Joe Paterno.
The show found that since 2002, 46 Penn State players have been charged with 163 criminal complaints. Forty-five of those complaints resulted in guilty pleas or convictions. Of the 46 players charged, 27 pleaded guilty or were convicted.
More recently, to show the problem is getting worse, 17 players were charged in 2007 with 72 crimes. Nine charges resulted in guilty pleas. The numbers screamed about a lack of control by the coaching staff and a lack of discipline by the players.
The response from Graham Spanier, the university president, was expected. "They're staggering numbers," he said. "They're very high and they shouldn't be that way.
"It's embarrassing to the university."
Professor Paul Clarke, who is vice chairman of the Faculty Senate athletics committee, also had an expected response. "This is really a black mark. It diminishes all of us."
To those who have followed Paterno closely in recent years, his response also was expected.
"I think you've done an awful lot of probing which bothers me that you might be on a witch hunt," he said.
The show focused on in an incident that occurred April 1, 2007. In response to one of their teammates and his girlfriend being involved in an altercation with three Penn State students, a group of football players, about 15, broke into an apartment on campus. Several students were beaten, including some not involved in the original altercation.
According to the show, one student was attacked with a beer bottle, another was struck with a wooden stool, a third was kicked in the face.
According to a report by the Judicial Affairs Department, which is the university's disciplinary arm, one of the football players involved said, "We knew we were going there to beat up people."
As a result of these vicious attacks, which no one on a college campus should expect, four players were temporarily expelled. The expulsions occurred during summer school, thus severely lessening the level of punishment. Additionally, the players were permitted to practice before their period of expulsion expired.
In other words, a whitewash.
Asked about the widely held belief that he has given up day-to-day control of the program, Paterno said, "I have the same hands on that I've always had."
That's quite a statement coming from a coach who freely admits he often works from home.
To prove that he doesn't have control of the program, interviewer Steve Delsohn pointed out to Paterno that in its investigative report of the brawl Judicial Affairs wrote that two players said "all members of the team [were] sent a text message from the head coach threatening to remove them from the team if they came in to Judicial Affairs to speak to its director."
Paterno's response to that attempt to circumvent the judicial process was that he doesn't know how to text message and that "I don't even have a computer."
Clearly, the message came from someone else in authority using Paterno's name without Paterno's permission. On such an important matter, that is grounds for firing. But as near as can be determined, no punishment was handed out and, for certain, no one in authority was fired.
Just another case of a lack of institutional control, which all goes back to Paterno.
The most damning part of Paterno's statement was that the man supposedly overseeing a major football program that produces tens of millions of dollars in revenue and is the face of the university for many followers does not know how to operate a computer.
Michael Haynes, a Penn State standout who was a first-round draft choice of the Chicago Bears in 2003, addressed the issue of problems within the team.
He said: "I think there was a lot of pressure for us to go out and get the blue-chip recruits. The problem with going out and getting the best athlete is that you still have to worry about them being eligible, still got to worry about them going out and partying too much and affecting not only the performance on the field but in practices and really being a cancer for the team."
Asked if this was a problem at Penn State, Paterno said, "Untrue.
"No validity whatsoever. Never ever once did we go that way. We might have made a mistake or two, but there was no deliberate attempt."
Paterno acts as if nothing is wrong other than young men, especially football players, having a tendency to get into trouble.
The show was a damning indictment that had to leave Penn State officials both furious and embarrassed. It also might be all that was needed to push Paterno into retirement after this season, whether that's what he wants to or not.
<DIV =story_end_field>Bob Smizik can be reached at bsmizik@post-gazette.com.
<DIV =story_first_published>First published on July 30, 2008 at 12:00 am
<DIV =story_first_published>
<DIV =story_first_published>http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08212/900389-13.stm
< = src="http://www.post-gazette.com/includes/s_code.js">

whiteCB

Master
Paterno is delusional. The fact that he said the media is on a witch hunt against him (despite awfully high arrest rates) shows he that he is a man with no legitimate excuses for his team's behavior. The stats speak for themselves and they saaayyyyy:
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<H3>Paterno picks Clark to start at QB</H3>Associated Press

<DIV =gray_dots>Updated: August 26, 2008, 1:01 PM EST

Daryll Clark will start at quarterback for Penn State when the 22nd-ranked Nittany Lions open the season against Coastal Carolina on Saturday.

<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = FSTL /><FSTL:EDGEINCLUDE source="/name/public/Topstoriesshort"></FSTL:EDGEINCLUDE>

Coach Joe Paterno said Clark's experience and solid preseason gave him the edge over Pat Devlin. Clark, Devlin and third-stringer Paul Cianciolo practiced well the last three weeks, he said.

Devlin is expected to get some playing time in the season opener against the Division I-AA school, Paterno said.

Clark served as the primary backup the last two years to Anthony Morelli.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8491780/Paterno-picks-Cla rk-to-start-at-QB?print=true[/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think this makes over 66 arrests of PSU football players in the last 6 years. Now Paterno kicks a backup off the team and we are to think he's cracking down.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8526738/PSU-player-kicked -off-team,-three-suspended?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]#
<H3>PSU player kicked off team, three suspended</H3>

Associated Press

<DIV =gray_dots>

Updated: September 5, 2008, 10:55 AM EST

A Penn State football player has been kicked off the team for an undisclosed violation of team rules, and three others will miss this weekend's game against Oregon State because of a separate, off-field issue, coach Joe Paterno said Thursday.

Reserve defensive back Willie Harriott is off the squad, Paterno said Thursday night on his weekly radio show. In November, Harriott, of New Haven, Conn., was arrested for driving under the influence and speeding.

<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = FSTL /><FSTL:EDGEINCLUDE source="/name/public/Topstories"></FSTL:EDGEINCLUDE>

Paterno also said that defensive linemen Maurice Evans and Abe Koroma, and tight end Andrew Quarless will sit out Saturday's game against Oregon State. Paterno said he's still gathering information on a recent off-field incident.

Evans, Koroma and Quarless, along with cornerback A.J. Wallace, had been held out of Wednesday's practice for unspecified reasons. But Paterno said Thursday that Wallace would be available for the Oregon State game.

Of the three players who will sit out, Evans' absence might affect the Nittany Lions the most. The junior emerged as a pass-rushing force last season with 12½ sacks.

No. 19 Penn State has had to deal with a string of off-field issues over the last couple seasons.

Earlier this year, receiver Chris Bell was kicked off the team after police said he threatened a teammate with a knife in a dining hall. Bell had already been suspended at the time for another off-field issue.

Defensive tackles Chris Baker and Phil Taylor got the boot last month for other off-field reasons.

Two separate fights in 2007 involving players also became distractions for the Nittany Lions.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<H1>STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - Two suspended Penn State football players were charged with one count each of possession of a small amount of marijuana.</H1>
<DIV id=story_content>

University police filed the misdemeanor charges Wednesday against defensive linemen Maurice Evans and Abe Koroma, who have been held out of the last two games by coach Joe Paterno.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Police said officers searched the players' apartment after responding to a call about loud noise on Sept. 2. Investigators said in court papers that they found "three small clear plastic baggies containing marijuana" and a "burnt roach" in Evans' room, and a "burnt roach" in Koroma's room.

The cutoff for the charge of possession of a small amount of marijuana is 30 grams. Penn State assistant police chief Thomas Sowerby said the amount associated with the charges against Evans and Koroma was roughly "less than a gram per person."

The charges were mailed to Evans and Koroma, District Judge Carmine Prestia's office said. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Oct. 22.

Paterno suspended Evans, 20, of New York, and Koroma, 20, of Burtonsville, Md., prior to the Sept. 6 game against Oregon State for an undisclosed off-field issue and the two haven't been on the team's depth chart the last two weeks. Paterno declined to answer questions about them at his weekly news conference Tuesday.

There was no change in the players' status Wednesday, team spokesman Jeff Nelson said. The Nittany Lions (3-0) face Temple on Saturday.

Evans, a junior, led Penn State with 12.5 sacks last season. He and Koroma, a sophomore, each started the season-opening victory over Coastal Carolina.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8574880/Suspended-Penn-St .-players-charged?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

whiteCB

Master
Oh noooo did they get the munchies really badly and break into a 7-11 to steal some Double Stuffed Oreos and go back home to listen to a Jimi Hendrix album. Come on Col. Reb I know you're into posting foul play of football players but this is pretty juvenile.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm highlighting the major problems that are inherent in the PSU football program these days. Over 66 arrests in the last 6 years is unreal. I'm pointing out just SOME of the incidents to make that point. Its another characteristic of the Caste System that needs to be exposed.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's some good news for you whiteCB. Looks like the kids caught stealing cookies out of the candy jar will be back soon.
smiley2.gif

Jeff McLane from the Philadelphia Enquirer notes that suspended Penn State defensive linemen Maurice Evans and Abe Koroma were back on the practice field at the start of this week. The two were given indefinite suspensions when marijuana was found in their apartment, and coach Joe Paterno said they wouldn't play again until he got more information on the incident.

The two players were recently charged with a misdemeanor count of marijuana possession. Apparently, that's all the information Paterno needed to decide that the players could come back to the team. Of course, there's also that big conference opener against a ranked Illinois team looming this Saturday in Happy Valley. But I'm sure that has nothing to do with this decision (yeah, right...).

Paterno likely has to wait for the school's Office of Judicial Affairs to finish its investigation and make a ruling on the players, but the decision will likely come before Saturday's game. A return to the practice field likely means things are looking good for Evans and Koroma, although it's not certain they'll see action against the Illini. Paterno seems to be confident in their return, however:
<BLOCKQUOTE>

"Do you know what they were charged with? A misdemeanor. We'll see what happens."</BLOCKQUOTE>

Paterno seemingly dismissing the charges as "just" a misdemeanor makes it seem as though he's confident he'll have his players back. While the misdemeanor charged to Evans and Koroma is slightly different than getting charged with a misdemeanor of jaywalking, it seems unlikely at best that the two will face any additional punishment from the university. They've already missed three games, which seems like a reasonable penalty. Apparently, Illinois coach Ron Zook agrees, not even bothering to question the possibility of their return:
<BLOCKQUOTE>

"They're going to be back. I don't think there's any question they're going to be in there."</BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll have more on this

[url]http://mvn.com/outsider/2008/09/23/suspended-penn-state-play ers-return-to-practice/[/url]

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Scirrotto looks great in the game tonight against Illinois. He's not returning punts anymore for some reason, he was quite good at it.

It would also appear that Joe Pa has a weird white safety fetish. Scirrotto was shaken up after a play and was replaced by another white safety.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Penn State has had a lot of white safeties. Sean Mayer was a tackling machine but never got a real opportunity in the NFL because he was "too slow."

Their last white CB I can remember was in the early to mid '90s. His name escapes me but will probably come to me later. He was a star tailback in high school and a damn good CB for JoePa but never got a look at the next level.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds,

the third white safety you mentioned is freshman Drew Astorino.

he's also the nickleback, so Penn State regularly has three white DBs on the field in a game. considering how in love with blacks Paterno generally is, think how talented these white athletes must be.
smiley32.gif

also, there are a large number of white linebackers and linemen who rotate in with the black starters. hopefully, they will unseat their darker peers in the future.

edited to add: 6-6 wide receiver Brett Brackett is starting now due to an injury to one of the black wideouts. he doesn't get many balls thrown his way, but he catches everything that is.

sophomore wideout Graham Zug has also been getting more playing time of late.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Joe says he'll return next year. Good, bad, or just plain ugly?

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8829642/Paterno-tells-fan s-he'll-coach-again-next-fall?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

Penn State coach Joe Paterno, long the subject of speculation regarding possible retirement plans, told a crowd at a pep rally on Friday night he would to return for the 2009 season and planned to "run out the tunnel" at Beaver Stadium for the home opener.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Penn State plays Michigan State on Saturday for a spot in the Rose Bowl.

"And, by God, we're gonna win a Big Ten championship tomorrow!" he screamed.

Many of the approximately 6,500 fans at Rec Hall roared their approval, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Paterno, 81, who has said he needs hip replacement surgery, spoke for about 15 minutes without the aid of a cane. Many fans attending the pep rally wore "Joe Can't Go" T-shirts.

Paterno has been the head coach at the State College, Pa., school for 43 years after 15 seasons there as an assistant.

"Regardless of what you hear or what you read or what you think, I ain't going out after (Saturday)," he said. "I'm not gonna walk out of that press box a loser. We're going to be Big Ten champions twice in four years!"

With his team sitting behind him, Paterno spoke of his adoration for a group that few picked to win the conference.

"Of all the teams I've coached, when I go to bed at night I probably think about these guys (the most)," he said. "Don't ask me why, but I worry about some of them, I'm thrilled with some of them, some of them inspire me because they work so hard.

"They stuck together. Even with the cane. And we have a heck of a football team."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Paterno doesn't want to retire because other than his family coaching football is his life. Bear Bryant died shortly after he retired. Paterno's still capable, and delegates more than he used to. If he's still mentally sharp let him coach until he's 100 if he wants.

What disappoints me about JoePa is what a Caste disciple he's become --in recruiting, how he uses players, his coddling of blacks who commit serious crimes, and his echoing of Fisher DeBerry's idiotic remarks about only blacks having speed. He's in a position where he could defy Caste protocol more than just about any coach out there, but he isn't about to. Where have you gone, John Cappelletti?Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9174540/Current,-former-P enn-St.-players-get-probation?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) - A Penn State football player and his former teammate must each serve a year's probation after being charged last fall with possessing a small amount of marijuana.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

The Centre County district attorney says defensive linemen Abe Koroma and Maurice Evans were entered Monday into a program for first-time offenders.

The misdemeanor drug charges can be expunged from their records if they complete the program and stay out of trouble over the next year.

Both Koroma and Evans were key contributors last season. Koroma started four games and has two years of eligibility left.

Evans declared for the NFL draft last month, bypassing his senior season. He had three sacks in 2008 and a team-high 12.5 in 2007.

whiteCB

Master
I'm sorry but getting arrested for marijuana should not result in a jail sentence or something as strict as probation. These laws are way out of line for the act being committed. Edited by: whiteCB

white is right

Hall of Famer
If he doesn't want his draft stock severely affected he needs to complete alcohol rehab. The last thing you need is an image of John Belushi in Animal House(before draft day).