2008 Florida State Seminoles

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are Massa Bowden's "priviledged few" for 2008.

Offense

QB Christian Ponder

TE Caz Piurowski

LT Andrew Datko

C Ryan McMahon

RG David Spurlock

Defense

DT Budd ThackerEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Black DE recovering from recurring seizures.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8455144/FSU's-Walker-'a-l ittle-rusty'-after-seizure?FSO2&ATT=MA
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida State defensive end Markus White returned to practice Friday, a day after suffering a seizure and missing practice.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

FSU officials said White takes medication to control an undisclosed medical condition and that Thursday was not the first time he had a seizure.

The junior college transfer White had a school-record 24 1/2 sacks last season at Butler Community College in Kansas to earn national junior college defensive player of the year.

"He looked a little rusty. He had been off a day," FSU defensive ends coach Jody Allen said Friday. "He wasn't back to where he was when he left, but that's understandable after going through a day of that. He went through the whole practice. I think he's going to be fine."

white is right

Hall of Famer
How long will it be until guys start calling for Massah Bowden's head. His minoriteeeeeee laden teams aren't cutting it. It's not like you can get guys off of chain gangs to play for FSU or can you?
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WR Surrency suspended for Georgia Tech game

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3673102

Florida State wide receiver Corey Surrency is suspended for Saturday's game at Georgia Tech game for an undisclosed violation of team rules, the school announced Thursday.

Heading into this season, expectations were soaring for Surrency, a junior college transfer from El Camino Community College in California, but they have since been tempered. Surrency is a backup to Greg Carr and played his best games against FCS opponents Western Carolina and Chattanooga.

He has started one game this season and has eight catches for 158 yards and three touchdowns, but two of the scores came against UTC and one against Western Carolina.

Surrency was frustrated by dropped balls against N.C. State, but had one of his better performances with a leaping 31-yard catch that flashed the athleticism the staff had been so excited about.

It's the second time in as many weeks coach Bobby Bowden has suspended a receiver. Freshman Bert Reed missed last Saturday's win against Virginia Tech for skipping classes.

The Seminoles (6-1, 3-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) share first place in the Atlantic Division with Maryland.

Heather Dinich covers ACC football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

icsept

Master
From a story on ESPN.com, Surrency was involved in the campus brawl which resulted in the suspension of 5 wide receivers. The football players were apparently brawling with members of a black fraternity in the cafeteria.

You can expect more of this type of behavior in our institutions of higher learning now that OBama is promising a free college education for everyone.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I thought I saw 3 Whites on the O-line, and apparently my eyes were right.

The depth-chart:

http://floridastate.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp

Andrew Datko (might have some Amero Indian) started at left tackle.

Will Furlong is injured - so David Spurlock started at RG. The true frosh did pretty well.

The depth-chart also shows a TE, Caz Piurowski, at the top of the depth-chart and I did see a White TE in the game.

Christian Ponder is their athletic QB, but he needs to improve in the area of throwing.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info Deadlift! I just updated the starters list.

James

Congratulation to Florida State safety Myron Rolle on becoming a Rhodes Scholar and winning an all expense paid three years at Oxford University in London, England. That's quite an academic achievement. I read that Rolle wants to become a neurosurgeon.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Looks like we have at least 1 more year of Massa Bowden to look forward to.
smiley5.gif

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9146726/Bowden-signs-$2.5 M-deal-for-34th-season-at-FSU?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Bobby Bowden signed a one-year contract Wednesday to coach a 34th season at Florida State, prolonging his duel with Penn State's Joe Paterno to see who will retire as college football's all-time leader in wins.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

The school's announcement said Bowden will be paid just under $2.5 million, the same as last year.

"I am glad to get it signed up for another year like I said I would do after each year," Bowden said in a statement. "I appreciate the university's support. We are busy recruiting and looking forward to next season."

Bowden has said many times in recent weeks that he planned to return.

FSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher must replace Bowden by January 2011 or the school will owe him $5 million.

Bowden's 382 career wins are one fewer than Paterno, the all-time leader among major college coaches. Paterno, 82, recently signed a three-year extension. Bowden has an option for 2010.

Bowden left West Virginia in 1976 to take over a Florida State program that had won just four games in three previous seasons and was considering dropping its program.

He heads into next season seeking a 33rd straight winning record and the team's 28th consecutive bowl appearance. Florida State finished 9-4 last year, its best season since 2004, and defeated Wisconsin 42-13 in the Champs Sports Bowl.

The Seminoles won national championships in 1993 and 1999 during an unprecedented run of 14 consecutive seasons with 10 or more victories and top 5 finishes in the AP poll.

The agreement comes one week before colleges can sign high school prospects and Florida State is still awaiting word from the NCAA on possible scholarship reductions for players involved in an academic cheating scandal.

The cheating involved roughly five dozen athletes and took place between the fall semester in 2006 through summer 2007. The athletes received improper help from staffers who provided them with answers to an exam and typed papers for them.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Black WR finally dismissed from team
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Preston Parker's troubled football career at Florida State is over after his second arrest in less than a year.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9170116/Parker-dismissed- from-Florida-State-after-3rd-arrest?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

Coach Bobby Bowden announced the junior receiver was dismissed from the team Monday in a one-sentence statement released by the school. Parker, who met with Bowden before the announcement, will remain in school on scholarship.

The 21-year-old Parker, from Delray Beach, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence after Tallahassee police found him asleep in his running car early Saturday.

The police report said Parker admitted he had been drinking and smoking marijuana. It was the third time Parker has been arrested since 2006.

Parker was suspended for the first two games of the 2008 season after being arrested last April in Palm Beach County on weapons and drug charges. One of the charges was a felony that was later reduced as part of an agreement on a guilty plea by Parker. He was sentenced to 50 hours of community service, a year's probation and weekly drug testing.

Parker was also arrested in 2006 after police said he tried to steal a DVD from Best Buy. The charge was dismissed after he entered a diversionary program and paid $200 in court costs.

Parker's dismissal comes two days before national signing day, when major college football programs such as Florida State unveil their latest recruiting classes.

Florida State is also expecting to hear from the NCAA on sanctions for an academic cheating scandal that resulted in the suspension of more than five dozen athletes, including some football players, at the school for some games.

Parker, who also played some at running back and returning kicks, caught 104 passes for 1,189 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons.

Parker's dismissal, combined with Greg Carr's departure after four productive seasons at Florida State, means the Seminoles will be relying heavily on underclassmen at wide receiver next season.

Taiwan Easterling and Bert Reed combined for 53 catches good for 617 yards and four touchdowns as freshmen last season. Reed, however, was suspended three times last season and arrested once for his role in a campus brawl in November that resulted in five receivers, including Easterling, being suspended for one game.

Parker was freed Sunday from the Leon County Jail on $500 bail.

Colonel_Reb said:
Coach Bobby Bowden announced the junior receiver was dismissed from the team Monday in a one-sentence statement released by the school. Parker, who met with Bowden before the announcement, will remain in school on scholarship.

Why does this punk get to keep his scholarship??? He disgraces the school by getting involved in repeated crimes, and not just minor things like "underage drinking." Not only is he probably taking a spot at the school from a more deserving student, he took a spot on the team from a more deserving player. And now he is still taking an ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP which could and should be going to someone else, without having to even play. This is very unsettling.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Of course he does!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9300932/Bowden-calls-Flor ida-State-penalties-too-harsh

Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden believes the NCAA sanctions calling for the school to give up wins in 10 different sports are too harsh.

Bowden, 79, said he supports the decision by Florida State president T.K. Wetherell to challenge the NCAA's ruling to vacate the victories in the wake of an academic cheating scandal. The forfeits could include as many as 14 in football.

"It was too stiff," said Bowden in a university statement, commenting for the first time Wednesday night on the penalties announced March 6. "Does the punishment fit the crime? I think that's the thing, that's the thing we gotta find the answer to right there."

Bowden's 382 career wins are just one fewer than all-team major college leader Joe Paterno of Penn State.

The academic cheating involved 61 athletes in all 10 sports at Florida State. Sanctions resulted from papers being written for and test answers provided to athletes who took an online music history class in 2006 and 2007. Florida State reported the cheating to the NCAA once it learned of the problem.

The school accepted the loss of scholarships in 10 sports and a four-year probation.

However, Wetherell announced Tuesday that the university hired outside counsel to appeal the part of an NCAA punishment to strip it of victories, calling them "excessive and inappropriate." He said it was unfair to roughly 500 athletes and 52 coaches who had nothing to do with the cheating.

Bowden said there's been too much focus about his coaching record.

"I think everybody is putting everything on my wins, which is just part of it," Bowden said. "All I hear from commentators is 'Bobby Bowden this' and 'Bobby Bowden that.' It is about all of our coaches and our teams."

Bowden has won two national championships since becoming Florida State's coach in 1976.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
We all know a crime has been committed, just not the one specified in this story. Specifically, I'd like to hire "outside counsel" to challenge the "excessive" number of black players Massa Bowden has been using for decades at Florida State, and the "inappropriate" methods used to keep white athletes off the field.