dominating individual performance ever, greater than Spitz easily, as there is
much better competition these days. Nineteen seventy-two was a long, long
time ago.

G

phelps' original speedo contract was 5 years for 6 million, plus a 1
million option for winning 7 or more events at the 04 games. speedo
extended it until 09 with the same option for the 08 games:

http://www.askmen.com/men/sports_60/81b_michael_phelps.html

so the speedo contract is about 9 million over 5 years. plus he has other contracts.

speedo just signed a park tae-hwan for 2 years and 3.2 million

http://www.timedfinals.com/16012007/park-tae-hwan-signs-us-3 2-million-sponsorship-deal/

and last year they signed ryan lochte for 10 full years

http://www.timedfinals.com/24052006/ryan-lochte-signs-10-yea r-endorsement-deal-with-speedo/

there's no chance phelps is making less than any of these other guys.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The U.S. corporate-state takes good care of mostits elite athletes financially and has for a number of years. Someone like Phelps would obviously get far more acclaim (and more endorsement deals) if he was black, as the instant deal and resulting publicity the black swimmer got for winning a single race illustrates. With a few exceptions (Peyton Manning, Brett Favre) black football and basketball players get the lion's share of major endorsement deals and a huge amount of day to day hype and PR puff pieces.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
i consider him to be like high school basketball players who went directly to the NBA. the only difference is that phelps gets free tuition to michigan - so he'll have his undergraduate degree and be a millionaire professional athlete at the same time.

High school basketaball players don't go to college so I don't know how Phelps is in anyway similar. Consider that the U of M program gets a HUGE boost by having the best swimmer in the world at its facilities and to show to prospective swimmers and donors. The university often pays big bucks to guys that win a Nobel prize or similar award and don't do anything at the school except visit with grads and donors.

The publicity Phelps brings to the university far offsets any tuition he gets. I bet over his lifetime he will donate much more then he ever took from his stay at Michigan. It's a good deal for both parties.

PitBull

Guru
Well Nevada, if Phelps were rewarded to the tune of 2 million per title, as
Jones is, he should be making 14 million a year. On a per race title basis,
Cullen Jones is the best compensated swimmer in the sport. But he is not
even close to the best. Why is that? Why are big corporations backing him?
Why wouldn't this apply to other sports and situations too? Clue me in.

Angelcynn

Guru
I just can't believe that Cullen Jones got that huge Nike contract for winning just one national race!!! If this is not discrimination of the white athlete then WTF is??? Imagine if America had a Craig Pickering, yet he'd never get such a contract. This is probably the clearest indication of white athlete discrimination in the USA that I have come across. This pisses me off so much yet im not American. Anyways congrats to Phelps, I saw most of the finals and he is by far the best Swimmer in the world and will be for some time yet to come. The USA team dominated the medals table, I didn't expect Aussie to be so far behind. As for Britain well we didn't get one gold but it doesn't suprise me as swimming is badly funded by Blairs government who would rather slash the cash all on athletics where the more needed groups (blacks) participate.

If every swimmer to win a race at any given swim-meet got 2 million like Cullen Jones did, then corporate America would dull out 64 million dollars per meet.

smiley36.gif

And thats just a regional swim-meet..... If Cullen should get 2 million for winning his regional competition then any given swimmer should get 4-6 million for winning the WOrld Championships.....
Corporate America would give over 128 million to those respective swimmers who won individual events in the World Chapionships...... But Corporate America isn't fair now is it?

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Anyways for those of you who are not familiar with swimming these are the individual events of most often in large regional invites....

100 freestyle

100 Butterfly

100 Breststroke

100 Backstroke

400 Individual Medly Relay (all strokes)

Most swim-meets will have these events for both men and women..... There are also several team relay races.