Anticipated white starters for 2007:

OFFENSE
QB: John David Booty
C: between Jeff Byers and Nick Howell
G: Drew Radovich
LT: Sam Baker
RT: Matt Spanos
DEFENSE
SLB: Brian Cushing moves back to SAM after playing as a stand up DE in the 3-4 last year.

Non-black starters include:
FB: Stanley Havili
DT: Fili Moala
MLB: Rey Maualuga

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7885396/USC-recruit-arres ted-in-robbery-investigation?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]

36511904.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A University of Southern California football recruit was charged Friday in connection with the robbery of a man on a Compton street.

Maurice Simmons, 18, and another man, 19-year-old Lamont Hall, were charged with second-degree robbery and assault with a firearm. Both pleaded not guilty in court.

Simmons is a 6-foot-1, 210-pound linebacker from Dominguez High School in Compton. He signed a letter of intent last month to accept a USC scholarship for this fall.

On Wednesday night, gang enforcement deputies in Compton were flagged down by a person who reported being robbed, Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

"Moments after that, the alleged suspects were discovered in a vehicle leaving the scene," he said.

The victim and witnesses identified two men inside as the robbers, he said.

Simmons, who was driving, and Hall were arrested and a handgun and the victim's stolen property were found in the car, Whitmore said.

Other details were not immediately provided.

"We're aware of it and we're going to monitor the situation," USC sports information director Tim Tessalone said.

Simmons is the younger brother of Melvin "Champ" Simmons, who was a USC linebacker during the 2002-03 seasons. Another brother, Marvin, also intended to play at USC but did not qualify for entrance. He later played at Kansas State.

A Superior Court judge set Simmons' bail at $85,000, and Hall's at $215,000. The two were scheduled to return to court March 26 for a preliminary hearing.

johnnyboy

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7885396/USC-recruit-arres ted-in-robbery-investigation?FSO2&ATT=MA

36511904.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A University of Southern California football recruit was charged Friday in connection with the robbery of a man on a Compton street.

Maurice Simmons, 18, and another man, 19-year-old Lamont Hall, were charged with second-degree robbery and assault with a firearm. Both pleaded not guilty in court.

Simmons is a 6-foot-1, 210-pound linebacker from Dominguez High School in Compton. He signed a letter of intent last month to accept a USC scholarship for this fall.

On Wednesday night, gang enforcement deputies in Compton were flagged down by a person who reported being robbed, Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

"Moments after that, the alleged suspects were discovered in a vehicle leaving the scene," he said.

The victim and witnesses identified two men inside as the robbers, he said.

Simmons, who was driving, and Hall were arrested and a handgun and the victim's stolen property were found in the car, Whitmore said.

Other details were not immediately provided.

"We're aware of it and we're going to monitor the situation," USC sports information director Tim Tessalone said.

Simmons is the younger brother of Melvin "Champ" Simmons, who was a USC linebacker during the 2002-03 seasons. Another brother, Marvin, also intended to play at USC but did not qualify for entrance. He later played at Kansas State.

A Superior Court judge set Simmons' bail at $85,000, and Hall's at $215,000. The two were scheduled to return to court March 26 for a preliminary hearing.

SC irritates me bc they could recruit whomever they want to and yet they still recruit ghetto trash. i just don't get why Pete wants these a-holes to be part of his team.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Pete Carroll is as dirty as any big time coach. Don't let his boyish looks fool you. He nearly jumped ship for the NFL. Just look at the Reggie Bush fiasco. Carroll and other top coaches let the volunteers fall on their swords or boosters take the fall but they know what is going on with their team. I think the Bootleggers Boy wrote the bible on college cheating and corruption.....
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<H1>USC competition heats up between Sanchez, Mustain</H1>
<DIV =storysub style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; COLOR: #333333! important">Quarterbacks have a spirited day of practice.
<DIV =storybyline style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; COLOR: #999999! important">By Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 4, 2008
<DIV =story>USC's much-ballyhooed quarterback competition finally began to look like one on Thursday, with junior Mark Sanchez and sophomore Mitch Mustain engaging in what occasionally seemed like a game of one-upsmanship.

"Today was really the first day when I felt confidence that I could come out and actually play my game and compete a little bit," Mustain said.

<DIV id=relatedrail_left>
<DIV style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #eaeaea 1px solid">
<DIV =open_>
<DIV =line10>Heating up
<DIV =content10> click to enlarge
Mustain, who started eight games at Arkansas in 2006, clearly benefited from the extended and faster scrimmage drills during the second half of the Trojans' sixth spring workout. Mustain was at his best when plays broke down, completing several impressive passes on the run.

During one period, Sanchez connected with split end David Ausberry on a difficult throw, only to have Mustain immediately follow with a sideline strike to receiver Brandon Carswell.

The full-pads workout concluded when linebacker Malcolm Smith intercepted a tipped pass by Sanchez, but Sanchez, Mustain and redshirt freshman Aaron Corp all played substantially better than the previous three workouts.

"To end on a pick like that is frustrating . . . but I felt good and everything else felt good," said Sanchez, who remains the leading candidate to succeed John David Booty as the starter. "It felt like we were starting to click a little bit and starting to get a little momentum."

Coach Pete Carroll praised Sanchez, Mustain and Corp, but said the lack of protection, especially by the second-unit offensive line, was "forcing them to show us their resourcefulness. . . . We're not really happy with the protection of the second group."

------

Corp is coming on after consulting with USC pitching coach Tom House and implementing some mechanical adjustments in his throwing motion.

"Before, I would step and my shoulders and hips would come through at the same time," Corp said. "Now, it's just my hips coming through first. It creates a little more torque."

------

Senior cornerback Cary Harris is a two-year starter, but he knows that coaches regard his position as up for grabs with the maturation of junior Shareece Wright and the return of Kevin Thomas and Josh Pinkard from injuries.

Harris sent a message by delivering huge hits on consecutive plays, first breaking up a pass to running back Allen Bradford and then pounding receiver Travon Patterson. Both plays generated whoops and hollers from fans and the Trojans defense.

"I'm still here," Harris said.

------

The Trojans practice Friday, will be off Saturday and will scrimmage Sunday. . . . With receiver Damian Williams still out because of a foot injury, Ausberry and Patterson got more opportunities. Both made several outstanding catches. . . . Safety Taylor Mays sat out much of practice after he was kneed in the thigh, Carroll said. Running back Joe McKnight (hip) also was limited. Linebacker Rey Maualuga remained out because of a hamstring strain, Carroll said. . . . Redshirt freshmen tailback Marc Tyler had the most impressive run of the day, moving left and then cutting back against the grain for a long gain.

gary.klein@latimes.com
<DIV =story>
<DIV =story> [url]http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-spw-uscfb4apr0 4,1,7607150.story[/url]