2007 Oklahoma Sooners

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I thought there would be some improvement in the Sooners this year, but it appears the white LB recruits are going to take another year to get on the field much.

Offense
QB Joey Halzle
FB Dane Zaslaw
TE Joe Jon Finley
C John Cooper

Defense
MLB Ryan Reynolds-In a fight for the positionEdited by: Colonel_Reb

JoeV

Guru
Phil Loadholt=black
George Robinson=black
Brian Simmons=black
Branndon Braxton=black
Cory Bennett or Steven Coleman=both black
John Williams=black
Curtis Lofton=black
Ryan Reynolds=white
Mike Reed=black
Lewis Baker=black
D.J. Wolfe=black
Nic Harris=black

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the help JoeV! Sad stuff in the Sooner Nation.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Oklahoma must erase its wins from the 2005 season and will lose two scholarships for the 2008-09 and 2009-10 school years, the NCAA said Wednesday.

The penalties stem from a case involving two players, including the Sooners' starting quarterback, who were kicked off the team last August for being paid for work they had not performed at a Norman car dealership. The NCAA said Oklahoma was guilty of a "failure to monitor" the employment of the players.
Oklahoma President David Boren said the university will appeal the NCAA's "failure to monitor" finding and the ruling that Oklahoma must erase the wins from the 2005 season.

The Sooners went 8-4 and beat Oregon in the Holiday Bowl to end the 2005 season. Records from that season involving quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn must be erased, the NCAA said, and coach Bob Stoops' career record will be amended to reflect the erased wins, dropping it from 86-19 in eight seasons to 78-19.

Oklahoma also will have two years of probation added to an earlier penalty, extending the Sooners' probation to May 23, 2010.

Those sanctions are in addition to those already self-imposed by Oklahoma, which has banned athletes from working at the car dealership until at least the 2008-09 academic year and moved to prevent the athletes' supervisor at the dealership, Brad McRae, from being involved with the university's athletics program until at least August 2011.

Oklahoma also will reduce the number of football coaches who are allowed to recruit off campus this fall. The Sooners also dismissed Bomar, Quinn and walk-on Jermaine Hardison from the team.

Paul Dee, the athletic director at Miami and the interim chairman of the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions, said Oklahoma will be allowed to keep the money it received for playing in the 2005 Holiday Bowl, because the NCAA does not regulate bowl games.

"Although this case centered on a few violations involving three student-athletes, the committee finds this case to be significant and serious for several reasons," the NCAA report said, noting the length of time of the violations and the fact that Oklahoma had appeared before the committee in April 2006 regarding violations in its men's basketball program.

On Aug. 3 â€â€￾ the day before the Sooners began preseason practice â€â€￾ Stoops dismissed Bomar and Quinn from the team after the university determined they had been paid for work not performed at Big Red Sports and Imports.

That led to an NCAA investigation, which found that Bomar, Quinn and Hardison had been paid for time they did not work at the car dealership and that Hardison received payment for time he spent participating in a scrimmage and game.

The players and McRae engaged "in a deliberate scheme to deceive both the employer's payroll system and the university's employment monitoring system in an attempt to violate NCAA rules of which they were real aware."

The committee found that Oklahoma "demonstrated a failure to monitor" the employment of several athletes, including some football players who worked during the academic year. The NCAA said that failure led to the university not detecting NCAA rules violations.

During the investigation, the university disputed that allegation, arguing that the NCAA should applaud, not penalize, its efforts to root out violations and noted that NCAA president Myles Brand told one news outlet that the university "acted with integrity in taking swift and decisive action" in the case.

Dee said Wednesday that Oklahoma should be praised for quickly dismissing the players from the team, calling that action "very influential on the committee."

Still, the committee said that Oklahoma should have undertaken more extensive efforts to monitor the players' employment, because the dealership apparently was the largest employer of Oklahoma athletes.

Both Bomar and Quinn lost a season of eligibility. Bomar has been ordered by the NCAA to pay back more than $7,400 in extra benefits to charity, while Quinn was told to pay back more than $8,100. Both players transferred to Division I-AA schools â€â€￾ Bomar to Sam Houston State and Quinn to Montana â€â€￾ where they can resume their careers this season.

Through Sam Houston State athletic department spokesman Paul Ridings, Bomar declined comment Wednesday.

Oklahoma officials also appeared before the Committee on Infractions in April 2006 following an investigation into hundreds of improper recruiting phone calls by former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson's staff.

Oklahoma escaped major sanctions in that case, as the NCAA Committee on Infractions found the university guilty of a "failure to monitor," a less severe ruling than "lack of institutional control," which had been recommended by the NCAA's enforcement staff.

The committee moved Oklahoma's self-imposed probation so it would begin in May 2006 and end in May 2008. The NCAA also issued a public reprimand and censure but otherwise accepted the university's self-imposed sanctions, which included reductions in scholarships, recruiting calls and trips and visits to the school by prospective recruits.

gsm1988

OU linebacker recruit Austin Box was the top rated high school player in Oklahoma, so he will probably be someone to watch. Say what you want about OU, but they have had some pretty good White defensive players in the Stoops era (Rocky Calmus, Teddy Lehman, Dan Cody, Dusty Dvorachek).

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Freshman LB Ryan Reynolds just made a great play and INT and Chris Spielman commented that he "turned into a rumblin' fullback once he got his hands on the ball." Simply amazing!
smiley5.gif

sunshine

Mentor
Jesse Meyer of Tulsa had a good game last night and is another soph receiver to keep an eye on. As for Oklahoma they are very depressingly black. Only Ryan Reynolds a solid looking LB sticks out. But the brightest spot on the team is DE Auston English A former RB in High School he is only a soph but is already one of the most disrupting defensive forces in college football. Tremendous speed and explosion he comes off the edge quickly and already has 4 sacks and lots of tackles for losses. Look for this guy to be an NFL propect. Too bad their last DE prospect has had injury problems since being drafted a few years back--Dan Cody.English is the next in line.

Oklahoma is probable the blackest ranked team in college football. This
is so unfortunate given the fact that football is such a big deal in that
state. I was there after they lost the Fiesta Bowl and it was shocking.
People were literally depressed.

But I believe this team is way over rated. Yahh they beat Texas. But Texas
had just lost to Kansas State who subseqently was defeated by Kansas.
Moreover, Oklahoma was beaten by Colorado. And somehow this team is
ranked #5. How is that possible? They haven't beaten anybody.

Does anyone know what race their quarterback Sam Bradford is?

Never-mind. It doesn't matter. I just hate this team and that people in
Oklahoma take this team so seriously.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Bradford, there best player, is a white man.

bigman

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Bradford, there best player, is a white man.

OK is former indian territory, Bradford is probably part native american.... I just checked it, likely part cherokee.

Can you remember any other great OK backs that were part indian?
Edited by: bigman

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Jim Thorpe wasn't a QB (as far as i remember) but he was a great athlete back in football's early days.

Bronk

Mentor
What you are seeing is the Switzer legacy in effect at OU.

Barry was the original Caste Systemizer.

Bronk said:
What you are seeing is the Switzer legacy in effect at OU.

Barry was the original Caste Systemizer.

I think it all went downhill with Howard Schnellberger when he was at "Thug U". He was the one who made it a point to "recruit the state of Miami". He made his players think it's me against the world and started the chest thumpin' do whatever, say whatever attitude. It was a bit different with the Raiders because there was always some form of respect even if they hated you. Not for Miami. They would not respect anyone. Fab Five, Deion Sanders, Bobby Bowden, most rap music (raunchy rap group 2 Live Crew was a confirmed booster), the saying "I don't give a f***", dancing and showboating in the endzone, fans not showing hospitality at all and even the cars getting stolen at the Orange Bowl in Little Havana. Everything I just named has a DIRECT link to the early Miami Hurricane days. Trust me, the stuff Schnellberger started would make Switzer seem like a saint.

As far as Oklahoma, my Mizzou Tigers will take care of them. Look for Chase Daniel to have a great game.

Bronk

Mentor
Johnny, I'll be rooting for Mizzou and Chase to take OU out, best of luck.

Switzer was far worse than Schnelly. He had far more time to do far more dammage and was one of the worst outlaw coaches in football history. He had that same attitude about showboating but he added in spying on his opponents as well as signal stealing in ways that would make Belicheck blush.

I'm an old geezer and have been watching OU football since the 1970s, believe me, Switzer is one of the worst snakes you can come across.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm with Bronk on this one. He was probably one of the earliest Caste disciples.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Switzer basically stated that only Steve Owens and a few other guys could play on his championship Okie teams. I swear he worshiped the ground that Marcus Dupree walked on..
smiley36.gif
In his book Bootlegger's Boy he said how his father ran off with his black concubine. That must be a sexual fantasy of his....
smiley5.gif
Edited by: white is right

Bronk

Mentor
white, Bootlegger's Boy is more interesting for what it does NOT say than what it does say.

For one thing, Switzer ignores the fact that he had an affair with his top assistant's (and best friend's) wife. He glosses over the DKR spying incident as well as about one million other things.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He also glossed over his involvement in the scandals that eventually got him fired. I love how he made it seem that as the captain of a ship that was carry the bubonic plague(corruption), he should be able to dock at any port and not have to worry about the consequences. He at one time had more power than the dean of OU.

Stonewall

Guru
Oklahoma started two white players tonight against Texas Tech.

On a positive note, there is a good chance they will lose tonight, ending any National Championship hopes.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
OUcommittment arrested:

[url]http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/0 3/07/dekarrest_0308.html[/url]

DeKalb student athlete arrested on weapon charges

By KRISTINA TORRES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/07/08
DeKalb County star high school football player Josh Jarboe was arrested Thursday evening for receiving stolen property and having a weapon on school property â€" both felony charges for one of the nation's top college recruits.
Online jail records show Jarboe, 18, was booked into the DeKalb County Jail along with 17-year-old James Davis, who was charged with the same two counts. Both were arrested by DeKalb school system police officers.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV align=center> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =caption>Josh Jarboe plays for Cedar Grove High School.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
The school system has not released any information about the arrests or about the two young men. A spokesman said that the police report â€" a public document â€" was not yet complete.
Jarboe is a standout wide receiver from Cedar Grove High School, ranked by Rivals.com as the 10th-best wide receiver nationally in the Class of 2008.
He committed last month to play for the University of Oklahoma, choosing the Sooners over Florida, Georgia and LSU.
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is aware of Jarboe's arrest but has no comment, according to Kenny Mossman, a senior associate athletics director for communications at Oklahoma.
"He isn't going to make a public comment until the matter moves further along, and then only if it's necessary,'' Mossman said . "For now, the best thing to say is that he has knowledge of it and is monitoring it. ... I don't know if he's spoken to [Jarboe].''
In addition to the felony charges, Jarboe also could face expulsion from school under DeKalb schools policy.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Former OU lineman arrested for DUI again

jd_quinn.jpg

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) - Montana offensive lineman J.D. Quinn was arrested Thursday on charges of drunken driving, his second DUI charge in less than a year.

The 22-year-old senior, who transferred from Oklahoma, was arrested after he pulled over for a traffic stop, refused a breathalyzer and requested a blood test, according to his attorney.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Neither of the tests was administered before Quinn posted $500 bail. He pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charge the same day.

"He disputes that he was impaired at all," said Paul Ryan, Quinn's attorney. "We continue to monitor his alcohol use, but he's been really compliant and just wants get these matters resolved."

Quinn was arrested in Missoula in July on another DUI charge. He pleaded not guilty to that charge and is awaiting trial.

Quinn, an All-Big Sky selection last season, has been suspended from the team until further notice, athletic director Jim O'Day said.

Around the time of last year's DUI arrest, the NCAA forced Oklahoma to vacate eight wins from the 2005 season because Quinn and quarterback Rhett Bomar took money for work they didn't perform at a Norman, Okla., car dealership.

The players were dismissed from the team in August 2006 and lost a year of eligibility. They were eligible to play again last fall.