2006 Vanderbilt Commodores

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are Coach Bobby Johnson's projected white starters for 2006. Vandy is the only SEC team that is half white this year. I sure hope they are whiter next year. I'll be pulling for them to get to a bowl this year.

Offense
FB-Steven Bright
TE-Brad Allen
LG-Josh Eames
C-Hamilton Holliday
RG-Merritt Kirchoffer
RT-Brian Stamper

Look for 2nd TB Jared Hawkins to get quite a few carries this season. This kid is a Redshirt Freshman and the current starter is a Junior, so we may see a lot more of him in the future.

Defense
FS-Ben Koger or Ryan Hamilton
WLB-Kevin Joyce
DE-Chris Booker
DT-Theo Horrocks
DE-Steven Stone

Triad

Mentor
Richard Kovalcheck, a former starter at Arizona, has transferred to and is expected to challenge for and win the QB position. He graduated from UA in three years and left via the new NCAA transfer rule. He becomes immediately eligible because he has his degree and Arizona doesn't offer the Masters program he desires. Since he redshirted he has two years of eligibility remaining at Vandy.

Does anyone know of a QB who has started in the PAC-10 and the SEC?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
After a better than expected performance against Michigan last week, Vandy has a heartbreaking loss to Alabama on a last second field goal. Jared Hawkins, who did pretty well last week, was demoted to 3rd string after the blacks backs returned. He only had 1 carry today. His supposed "superiors" managed just 42 and 38 yards. I wish Vandy started him and I wish they could have a winning season, being the whitest SEC team.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Vandy is hanging with Arkansas at halftime, thanks in large part to 3 big rushes by RB Jared Hawkins for 75 yards. Talk about a huge average! Maybe we'll see more of him in the second half. I'd love to see Vandy win, especially if Hawkins gets 125 or so yards.

Triad

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Vandy is hanging with Arkansas at halftime, thanks in large part to 3 big rushes by RB Jared Hawkins for 75 yards. Talk about a huge average! Maybe we'll see more of him in the second half. I'd love to see Vandy win, especially if Hawkins gets 125 or so yards.

At the half Hawkins is leading both teams is rushing on 3 freaking carries. He was not mentioned on the halftime game summary and no replays of his runs. I started watching the game in the 2nd quarter and I didn't even know he was playing. I haven't heard the announcers suggest Vandy get the ball to someone averaging 25 yards per carry. By the way their QB, threw for 24 yards at the half. They have 156 total yards at the half.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jared Hawkins got exactly 0 more carries!
smiley7.gif
Makes perfect Caste sense though. Vandy loses again but at least Jared's nice run got on the highlights on ESPN2.

Triad

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Jared Hawkins got exactly 0 more carries!
smiley7.gif
Makes perfect Caste sense though. Vandy loses again but at least Jared's nice run got on the highlights on ESPN2.

This was unbelievable and to top it off Arkansas running back Peyton Hillis has been relegated to special teams status. No carries for Hillis today.
For the season Hillis has 4 carries total. Hawkins for Vandy has 8 carries for 109 yards this year against Michigan, Alabama, and Arkansas without a passing threat from the QB.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The whitest team in the SEC beat #16 Georgia 24-22 on a Bryant Hahnfeldt FG with just seconds to go.
smiley32.gif
Jared Hawkins had 1 one yard carry in the 4th quarter.
smiley5.gif
Anyway, I'm glad Vandy won, it was their first win over a top 20 team since 1991, when they beat Georgia that year. Vandy TE Brad Allen had a 20 yard catch.

Georgia FB Brannan Southerland had an 11 yard catch and 3 runs for 8 yards. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, a 53game losing streakto ranked teams is now over. Good for them!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
freshman safety Ryan Hamilton is really becoming a playmaker for Vandy. he forced a fumble and nearly had a pick, as well as making tackles from sideline to sideline. he has a bright future! now, if the Vandy coaching staff can figure out that Hawkins is really good...