Great White NBA players

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I’ll try to limit this to highlight reel clips. I think the forum on forgotten white track stars was cool enough to try to duplicate for what I remember of watching in the NBA.

I’ll start with a guy I remember being impressed with in his time at NC state. Tom Gugliotta. The guy was a beast.

This fits also under forgotten white athletes. Ernie Digregorio is mostly forgotten, but he could handle a basketball every bit as good as Pete Maravich. Had he been on better teams during his prime, it would be a different story:

El Gringo

Mentor
This fits also under forgotten white athletes. Ernie Digregorio is mostly forgotten, but he could handle a basketball every bit as good as Pete Maravich. Had he been on better teams during his prime, it would be a different story:

That pass at about 1:20 was unreal!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

I had forgotten about him. He was quite the wizard with the ball.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Like Larry Bird, John Havlicek was another Celtic legend with a great all-around game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
George Mikan was the NBA's first dominant big man. He was a prolific scorer and tremendous rebounder. He later became commissioner of the ABA. You can tell from these grainy highlights how nimble and athletic he was even at 6'10" tall!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Has there ever been a better scorer, passer and all-around offensive force than Rick Barry?

Barry is the only man to lead the NCAA, ABA and NBA in scoring. (Couldn't find much in the way of good highlights, this one is best watched with the sound off.)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There early European Players from the 80's, 90's & 2000's paved the way forward for the current guys.
Here is one that some here may not know of. He could score at will. Sarunas Marciulionis!

mqdefault.jpg

Šarūnas Marčiulionis Career Highlights​

NBA

Booth

Mentor
Swen Nater was the only player who led the ABA and the NBA in rebounding. I would not call him great but, he was good.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I always felt Toni Kukoc was a better player than he got credit for being. Granted he was on some great teams but still.

Also I figured this would be more of like forgotten white athletes just the nba version. Don’t want to mix up with the track thread!

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Kevin McHale
Dave Cowens
Bob Newlin

freedom1

Mentor
I wonder how the late Bill Walton would have done had he not been vegan. I think not eating animal products weakened his bones and caused him a lot of injuries.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Bill Walton was a very talented player. I remember him on those Old Legendary Boston Celtics Teams for a short time. May
he rest in peace. God bless him.

freedom1

Mentor
I wonder how the late Bill Walton would have done had he not been vegan. I think not eating animal products weakened his bones and caused him a lot of injuries.

freedom1

Mentor
The year Walton led the Blazers to the championship, they swept the Lakers in the playoffs. He burned Jabbar during those games. When that guy was healthy, no one could touch him. He was injured most of his NBA career.

Booth

Mentor
Dan Issell
Billy Cunningham
Bobby Jones
Gail Goodrich
Bob Cousey
Jerry Lucas. What a scorer he could have been if he had the 3-point line.
Tom Chambers
Jack Sikma
Bill Bradley

The Hock

Master
I had a vegan landlord years ago and during the winter it seemed he was always battling some bug or another. Walton maybe should have had at least some meat in his diet.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Dan Issell
Billy Cunningham
Bobby Jones
Gail Goodrich
Bob Cousey
Jerry Lucas. What a scorer he could have been if he had the 3-point line.
Tom Chambers
Jack Sikma
Bill Bradley
Did anyone mention Kiki Vandeweghe? The two-time AS averaged a career high 29.4 ppg. in the 83-84 season. Finishing third in the league
that year! Averaged 19.7 ppg for his career.
Thunder Dan Majerle good as well. Though not a big time scorer, he had great athleticism. Not sure if he ever entered the slam dunk contest, but he should have.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Did anyone mention Kiki Vandeweghe? The two-time AS averaged a career high 29.4 ppg. in the 83-84 season. Finishing third in the league
Thunder Dan Majerle good as well. Though not a big time scorer, he had great athleticism. Not sure if he ever entered the slam dunk contest, but he should have.
BTW, I would guess 90% of the board would agree BIRD is the GOAT among white players and some may say the GOAT among anyone!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bill Walton was the poster child for flaky White athletes from the 1970s, who had been influenced by the late '60s counterculture. Walton had liberal hippie attitudes and never outgrew them. Being from California he lived through the mighty demographic and ideological changes in that state but like most White people who have fled California he seemingly never learned a thing. Was a great basketball player when healthy, one of the best centers ever.

white lightning

Hall of Famer

"Thunder" Dan Majerle never entered the NBA Dunk Contest. He did have one of the greatest dunks I've ever seen live or on film in a playoff game. The 6'6 Dan Majerle dunked over the 7'7 Manute Bol in the playoffs. The Fans and Announcers went crazy. They still have framed pictures of the dunk that they sell. He could get up and fly from way out far too.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Bill Walton was the poster child for flaky White athletes from the 1970s, who had been influenced by the late '60s counterculture. Walton had liberal hippie attitudes and never outgrew them. Being from California he lived through the mighty demographic and ideological changes in that state but like most White people who have fled California he seemingly never learned a thing. Was a great basketball player when healthy, one of the best centers ever.
Well summed up. I'm younger than most here, but Walton always rubbed me as a Deadhead Hippie libtard. He was liked by his BSPN colleagues for what it is Worth..