WR -- Nick Rengel

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79596

NICK%20RENGEL%203%20267.JPG

He is athletically built. And, are those high calves?

He is listed at 6-3 and 225 pounds, but he looks 215 maximum in the above picture. He looks 100% like a wide out, but we hear Fullback and Tight End being mentioned. His frame doesn't look like that of a Tight End.

He's from Minnesota, and Central Florida has offered him. For what position, I don't know. This should be an interesting prospect to follow.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
He recently committed to Minnesota. Looks like he'll either be playing tight end or d-end though.
smiley5.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
If he is to play defense, I think he's more built for LB than DE.

I'm also thinking about the fact that guys are often listed as 1-3 inches taller on these recruiting sites than their actual height.

I suspect that Nick is at least 6-1 and 210 pounds. For offense, I see him as only a WR.

I don't want to see his frame undergo an "unnatural" bulk.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I agree deadlift, he is built, but does not have the bullk to play defensive end. have oyu found any video of him in action?

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I haven't found any video yet.

Rivals will probably have some video eventually.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Well deadlift, looks like we are the only ones interested in high school football lately..

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The highlight video is very good and has great length.

He certainly has good size, good leg length, and he still looks like a very PHYSICAL and athletic Wide Receiver. He has creativity as a receiver and this allows him to gain extra yards after the catch. In other words, he has "moves" and he executes these moves with patience at times. He knows when to use his powerful burst to run over defenders and he knows when to use his blockers. He has very good hands and can make the spectacular catch.

Some might think this is cliche, but he does have a Jordy Nelson-esque quality about him. It's in the physicalness and his ability to gain yards after the catch. You can tell by the video that Nick is confident and has an alpha-male mentality. He competes "all out" just like Jordy. He is hungry for sure.

And, to think, he has one more year of high school! If Nick's a "Tight End".... then move Terrell Owens to Tight End, pronto. Nick isn't exceptionally tall, certainly isn't slow, and he's a natural wide out.

I don't know if he'll be screwed, so I'll make sure to enjoy his Senior year of high school.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I agree Deadlift at many times he was the biggest guy on the field (at least the defensive backfield) and he was outrunning guys not nearly his size. He has very good straight line speed and he's a pain to tackle in the open field so hopefully he can play reciever in college, if thats what he really wants. One thing i would suggest is that maybe he shed a little weight to make him look more like a receiver. If he loses ten pounds or so he will be quicker on his cuts.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Last year, Rengel redshirted for the Minnesota Golden Gophers and this year is on the roster in the dreaded fullback position. I couldn't find any news about him from the Gopher's spring drills or game, so we'll just have to wait and see.