Wimbledon 2009

foobar75

Master
I just got done watching the match, and it was a great one for sure. Perhaps only 2nd to last year's final, in my opinion.

I'm very happy for Federer. Now that the pressure is off, I don't think 20 GS wins is out of the question. On the other hand, you could see the pain in Andy Roddick's face, both during the ceremony and post-match press conference. I feel very badly for him, and here's hoping Andy can win the US Open, even though Federer will once again be favored.

Yes, the men's game is in great shape, and for as long into the future as anyone can see, there are no super blacks waiting to come and conquer the sport.
smiley5.gif

There are a couple of pretenders, but the best and upper echelon is dominated by white Europeans, plus Roddick should be around for a while.
smiley32.gif

As for the women's game, I loathe the Williams sisters, but I'm equally disappointed in the current crop of women for being unable to challenge them. In terms of mental strength, Safina is arguably the weakest of them all. Any time she goes up against a Williams, you pretty much know it's a straight set, 6-0,6-1 defeat. She has already lost the match before stepping on the court.

I have no idea what has happened to Ivanovic, and Sharapova's injury comeback so far does not look promising. The rest of the field is made up of mostly pretenders who may occasionally put forth a good effort, but cannot pose a serious challenge.

I definitely miss Henin and Hingis, they absolutely owned the Williams sisters.
smiley19.gif

StarWars

Mentor
When women lose their natural femininity and start looking like men (Williams') there is no point in watching them. They are so much worse than men that it is only impressive if they still can look hot doing it. For instance, Ariane Freiedrich and Ivet Lalova still look hot, and jump higher and run faster than almost all NBA players. That is impressive.

sunshine

Mentor
The man finally broke the record with number 15 in dramatic test of wills. It will be replayed on Tennis Channel as Don said so try and catch it. Borg, Laver, Sampras Mac and Federer in the same room after the match. Try telling me that gathering does not represent the best athletes of the last century. HOLY COW!!! I watched a ton of Wimbledon this year. Way to go Roger--my hero.

Europe

Mentor
StarWars said:
When women lose their natural femininity and start looking like men (Williams') there is no point in watching them. They are so much worse than men that it is only impressive if they still can look hot doing it. For instance, Ariane Freiedrich and Ivet Lalova still look hot, and jump higher and run faster than almost all NBA players. That is impressive.

I remember about 2004 John McEnroe was getting very upset that people were saying the Williams sisters could beat the men. He was thinking about playing them in his mid 40's just to show people they couldn't beat men.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Roddick is playing with a great deal of belief in his game. The Hewitt and Murray matches demonstrated his new found ability to hold it together no matter what. He is in the mix for the US Open if he continues on. Must be tough to lose the championship match after never having your serve broken for the entirety the first four sets and a jillion games in the fifth. The fans gave him a deserved rousing cheer at the end there -choked him up, I believe.

In the beginning stretch of Fed's majors run, he played the game at the highest level that I've witnessed. Phase two of his career is pretty special also.

Roger in the days when it seemed he was channeling the tennis gods on a permanent basis:

[tube]ll7SCg-tZ08[/tube]

Poacher

Mentor
He hit one around the post in his first round match at Wimbledon this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RR4QTY7Hxk

StarWars

Mentor
Federer is one of the few dominant people I chear for other than Jeremy Wariner. I uaually don't like it when people dominate but watching Federer play is just phenomenal. He is so nice too. The most dominant athlete to ever live. Rocy Marciano and Joe calzaghe are up there too. Maybe Vitali Klitschko.