UFC 65

Poacher

Mentor
Still two weeks away but here I go anyway...

Sylvia v. Monson: I'm taking Tim by KO. Monson is strong as an ox but I don't think he's got the stand-up to stay with big Tim.

Hughes v. St. Pierre: Over at the site I love to hate (Sherdog) it's probably 10 to 1 with people wanting St. pierre to win. Georges is a nice guy, someone I could easily root for but when I hear so many whining anti-white commies spewing Hughes hate over this fight it makes me want to see GSP lose and lose badly. I want Matt to unleash the fury on him if for no other reason than to shut the Hughes haters up for good. I am picking Matt to win but GSP is a monster and Matt had better get this thing to the ground as quickly as he can.

Vera v. Mir: Can't wait to see Mir again. He looked bad in his last fight (overweight) which he won. Vera is a good fighter but a focused, hungry Mir can and should dispose of him. But does Mir have the fire? I've heard that he is in great shape coming into this fight. I'm going to take Mir by submission.

There are of course other fights but I'm not familiar with all of the fighters so I'm going to stick with the big guns for this first post on UFC 65.

JD074

Master
Poacher said:
Still two weeks away but here I go anyway...

Sylvia v. Monson: I'm taking Tim by KO. Monson is strong as an ox but I don't think he's got the stand-up to stay with big Tim.

Sylvia is incredibly difficult to take down, so I wonder what chance Monson has to take him down and keep him down. If there's one guy who could do it, it's probably Monson. Obviously Sylvia has the advantage in striking, so if Monson can't take him down/ keep him down, it's going to be a long (or short) night for him.
Edited by: JD074

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't know what to make of this fight. Monson has lost to Forrest Griffin and Ricco Rodriguez, but that was four years ago. Sylvia was unable to put Arlovski away in their third fight, despite the fact that Arlovski was injured. It's a really difficult fight to call. I can see Sylvia knocking Monson out in the first round with a head kick. Likewise, I can see Monson getting a takedown and ultimately submitting Sylvia.

The worst part about this fight? It's on the same night as the Klitschko-Brock fight.
smiley5.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Shogun, how am I supposed to ask you several questions about MMA if your in box is full?? I forgot to add that your round by round of the fight last night was very good, but we were all bummed, by the outcome. Edited by: Bart

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Oops, sorry bout that Bart! I emptied out my Inbox.

Thanks for the comments, to you and all who enjoyed the PBP. I was bummed, too.
smiley5.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Just saw the weigh-in. Mir looks like he's back.

Poacher

Mentor
Wrong about Mir. Vera took him out.

Matt got trounced by GSP. Left kick to the head followed by a series of punches and elbows...big John stopped it.

Monson was game...geting Tim down but suprisingly Tim was able to grapple with him, he even reversed a guillotine on the snowman. The fight wasn't really close. Big Tim earned more respect tonight, at least in my eyes.

Not a great night of fights. Some of the fighters they get just don't seem to take it very seriously. The difference in quality between guys like GSP and Hughes and some of the others is huge. GSP looked like a real pro tonight. He should hold that belt for awhile.

It was a night for the strikers.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The next black heavyweight hope for the UFC, Sherman "Tank" Pendergrast, got beat by a newbie in his UFC debut, a Dutchman with a 4-2 record.

The pre-fight talk was all about the 'Tank,' but despite taking the Dutchman down in the 1st, he was taken out rather quickly in the 2nd by punches and kicks, the TKO coming by way of brutal leg kick. The 'Tank's' tread came off and he fell like an axed tree.

As for Hughes-GSP, I thought Hughes would win this fight. But he seemed lackadaisical and was farting around and joking too much, laughing and smiling while GSP was intense and extremely focused. Nor did I think those kicks to the groin were as bad as Hughes made them seem. It seemed to me Hughes was looking for a break. Anyway, although I think the eventual outcome would have been the same, I think McCarthy stopped the fight just a bit too soon. Edited by: White Shogun

WPWW

The fight with the tank probably would've been shorter had he respected the Dutchman in the beginning instead of barely touching gloves and immediately attacking him.

Tim Slothia used his reach advantage even in the guard. Should've figured that one out, but I really thought (hoped?) Monson would finish him. But he showed good submission defense too. But that 5th round was a disgrace. Tim took his "circle-and-jab" offense to a whole new level of crappiness. But Monson is a gamer isn't he?

GSP simply outstruck Hughes. Much is made about Hughes being a complete fighter...but watching GSP is really watching a complete fighter. He's the best athlete in MMA (as is constantly said by the announcers and commentators) and adding skill to his physical abilities has brought him to the top. And he should stay for a long time. The only legimiate contender now is BJ Penn. BJJ nerds may love Penn's skill and would like to see him win, but he doesn't have the well-rounded game (or the heart) to finish GSP.

JD074

Master
WPWW said:
GSP simply outstruck Hughes. Much is made about Hughes being a complete fighter...but watching GSP is really watching a complete fighter.

I agree. Matt said that he wants to be like Chuck Liddell; if that was his plan tonight, clearly it was the wrong plan. He barely even tried to take down GSP, and when he did try, he didn't even come close. On the other hand, he was going for a takedown when GSP kicked him in the head! But if Hughes can't beat him on the ground, he's simply not going to beat him, period. Edited by: JD074

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hughes arms appear extremely short to me, way to short to be an effective striker against someone with normal range. Almost dwarfish. He only won the standup against Penn after Penn was already injured and gassed; I don't think there was anyway he'd win standup against St. Pierre.

Having said that, I wish people would get off Penn's nutsack. He came back, he got a shot against the number one contender - and lost. He then got a shot at the champion when that contender was hurt - and lost. Penn needs to fight a gatekeeper before he fights either Matt or GSP again, someone like Diego Sanchez or Joe Riggs. Matt should be accorded a rematch with GSP before anyone other than Serra gets a shot at GSP.

aussieaussie

Matt hughes is such a great fighter. I hope he comes back and wins the title, then retires as champion. GSP is one hell of an athlete though. He seems to have no weaknesses other than mabye being submitted. A complete fighter he is. GSP also seems to be a very respectful young man as well.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Hughes arms appear extremely short to me, way to short to be an effective striker against someone with normal range. Almost dwarfish. He only won the standup against Penn after Penn was already injured and gassed; I don't think there was anyway he'd win standup against St. Pierre.

Hughes constantly went for take downs against Penn, but not GSP. Is it possible that Hughes became bored with being a "wrestler," or frustrated with people who thought he was a boring fighter, or perhaps insecure about his striking? Wanting to be like Liddell borders on delusional, as far as I'm concerned. There has to be something going on there.

Having said that, I wish people would get off Penn's nutsack. He came back, he got a shot against the number one contender - and lost. He then got a shot at the champion when that contender was hurt - and lost.

Are people talking about a GSP/ Penn rematch? I agree that that's premature. I can understand curiosity about another GSP/ Penn fight, given how close the first fight was. But you're right, he had two chances to be champ and couldn't pull out either one. On the other hand, if GSP beats Hughes again, and is head and shoulders above everyone else but Penn, a rematch is inevitable... if Penn wants it. But I have to wonder how serious Penn is taking all of this. He didn't seem to be in great shape for either fight. A rematch ~18 months from now should be acceptable to all the nuthuggers.

Penn needs to fight a gatekeeper before he fights either Matt or GSP again, someone like Diego Sanchez or Joe Riggs. Matt should be accorded a rematch with GSP before anyone other than Serra gets a shot at GSP.

Interesting. I bet there are a lot of people who would like to see a Sanchez/ Penn fight. Or for that matter, a GSP/ Sanchez fight. If he keeps winning, hopefully we'll see one of those matchups. Edited by: JD074

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
UFC 65 Post-fight Press Conference

Matt Hughes and GSP are all class. All class. Compare their behavior to the way guys like Hasim Rahman, James Toney, and Roy Jones Jr act before and after fights. Edited by: White Shogun