This could destroy tennis.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
This contraption is approved by the ITF. Believe it, or not.

Brothers make a racket at Challenger

bildeSite=CB&Date=20080810&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=808100334&Ref=AR&Profile=1003&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

bildeNewTbl=1&Avis=CB&Dato=20080809&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=808090801&Ref=PH&Item=4&Maxw=500&Maxh=400

They move on armed with the first two-handed rackets in this tournament's history. Rackets that were the brainchild of Lionel Burt in Los Angeles, but that the Battistone brothers -- after Brian met Burt's son on a tennis court one day -- helped produce, design and manufacture, and now help sell on the road as members of the Natural Tennis company.

Rackets that split just above the grips, leaving a Y-shaped handle with one grip in front of the racket head, and another behind. Burt, who got the rackets cleared through the International Tennis Federation, designed them originally to help balance out the body during a swing, easing stress on the wrist, elbow, shoulder and back.

bildeNewTbl=1&Avis=CB&Dato=20080809&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=808090801&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=500&Maxh=400

bildeNewTbl=1&Avis=CB&Dato=20080809&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=808090801&Ref=PH&Item=3&Maxw=500&Maxh=400

Quiet Speed

Mentor
foreverfree said:
How could this contraption "destroy" tennis?
smiley25.gif

John

My initial reaction was the racket would limit the variety of shot making of player(s), reducing tennis, if it became a trend, to just an absolute two fisted unimaginative slugfest. Blah. Granted, it's probably a slim chance that the racket becomes in vogue; anything that increases the chances of players hitting with two hands off of both wings is a detriment to tennis as far as I'm concerned. I'm prejudice, I like free flowing unrestrictive strokes and tennis.

Another thing I was apprehensive about was a trend where youngsters are immediately using the racket maybe hindering development of a full arsenal of shot making. Tennis will survive, the thing I fear is the character of tennis changing where everyone is a bull and there are no matadors.Edited by: Quiet Speed

white is right

Hall of Famer
The metal racket has already done that. Watch 70's matches to early 80's matches and compare them to the modern game. It's completely different. Even the athletes are different. As great as Sampras and Becker were I'm not sure they would have been dominant champions in the wooden racket era. In my opinion only Agassi ,Federer and Nadal could go back to that era and would probably have won a few majors.Edited by: white is right

sunshine

Mentor
Great win for The Fed man. Salvaged his year and my year. Murray is one to watch

darthvader

Guru
As great as federer is I doubt he would have won at least 5 grand slams in the era of Mcenroe, connors, lendl, borg. I can probably say the same thing about Sampras. That was classic tennis when it was hand to hand combat. Now with the rackets they are using the points have become shorter in my opinion. Anybody with a big serve can do fairly well on the tour these days.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
It's been a while since any tennis post, and the Australian Open is getting close. We need a little news to ease back into the swing of things. This thread is as appropriate as any for news concerning the latest in racquet technology. It may be nothing more than hype by Prince. Jimi Hendrix, I mean Gael Monfils, will be using the racquet at the Australian Open. He had a big win over Nadal a day or two ago. Roddick bested the Frenchman (?), though, to make it to the final against Andy Murray in the Qatar Open. Murray took out Roger Federer.

Among Prince's claims are a 83% larger sweet spot and more power generated by the new design. Pretty soon grandma is going to be able to serve at about 150 mph.

Prince releases EXO3 racquet line with suspended string bed

excerpt:

"When a racquet and ball collide, energy gets diffused, causing players to lose some of the important attributes that make a great shot: power, precision, comfort and feel. EXO3 changes all that by capturing more energy--at impact--before it is wasted, and channeling it back into the ball on every shot. The result activates a blend of power, spin and comfort with exceptional feel."

Quiet Speed

Mentor
They're still trying to get this thing off the ground.

Two-handled tennis racket
spotted at the U.S. Open

inShare1​
6 September 2012 | Leave a comment
More:

Dezeen News: mixed doubles tennis player Brian Battistone turned heads at the U.S. Open this week with a two-handled tennis racket his playing partner has dubbed “the alienâ€￾.
dezeen_Brian-Battistone-by-robbiesaurus_1a.jpg

The racket was first invented by Lionel Burt as a training device to build up strength on both sides of the body. Now produced by Natural Tennis, it is currently being used by just two tennis pros – brothers Brian and Dann Battistone, both of whom are partners in the company.
dezeen_Two-handed-tennis-racket-spotted-at-US-Open_3.jpg

Brian Battistone first starting using the racket in training, but now he says he gains tactical advantages too. “I’m just able to hit any shot with either hand, so I have full reach on both sides,â€￾ he explained. Natural Tennis also claim the racket offers players more power, reach and stability, as well as the ability to disguise shots and confuse opponents.
dezeen_Two-handed-tennis-racket-spotted-at-US-Open_4.jpg

The racket wasn’t able to produce a winning streak, however – Battistone and his mixed doubles partner Nicole Mellichar had only qualified for the U.S. Open as wildcards, and were knocked out in the first round.