Seth Cunningham

White Power

Mentor
Corner back commit to Akron and one of the fastest players in Ohio having run 10.59 100 meters, and 21.312 in the 200 meters. He has been called one of the most explosive athletes in the state of Ohio with legitimate 4.35 speed in the 40 yard dash. I hope they convert him to running back and he really has a great college career. Edited by: White Power

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye out for him at Akron. Sounds like a blazer! I hope he plays CB or RB. Is there any film of him on Youtube at this juncture?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wish him good luck in football but the track fan in me also hope that he continues track. That could be his calling in life. We need more white sprinters. They are rarer than white running backs. All of the best white sprinters are from Europe with the exception of Jeremy Wariner. We need more from the US. I will keep an eye on this kid.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Akron also got a verbal committment from the star WR at the high school where I live. 6-3 205 Anthony Shrock WR, safety, basketball player and 300 meter hurdler agreed to go to Akron over the Buckeyes because he was promised a chance at a starting job right away. He runs a 4.5 and I saw him win a outdoor dunk contest last year. I will definitely be following the Zips next season with the addition of Shrock and Cunningham. Shrock is also well liked in his school and church and is one of the nicest most humble young man you would ever want to meet.

Edited by: guest301

A Michigan State message board today said that he decommitted from Akron and Michigan State may be considering him. That's all it said, but I have not been able to find any link to back it up.Edited by: Fightingtowin

Riddlewire

Master
I can't understand why he'd turn down offers from Iowa and Cincinnati to go to Akron.
He ought to know that Iowa would let him compete for any position he wants to play, including corner.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
despite being the second-fastest 100-meter runner in the state of Ohio (and the defending State Champion in the 200-meters), possessing ideal size,and being a literal shut-down corner at the high school level Cunningham was merely a two-star player according to the "experts" at Rivals. "weird" how that works, isn't it?

this link has a highlight video of Cunningham. on the track this spring in his senior year, so far Cunningham has posted a season-best 10.77 in the 100 and a 21.48 in the deuce ... this despite his beingbulked up like a football player ratherthan possessing the build ofmost sprinters, as this story and accompanying photo illustrate.

<H1>Injury can hardly slow St. Edward's speedy Seth Cunningham: Tim Warsinskey's Take</H1>
<H4>By Tim Warsinskey, The Plain Dealer </H4>
<H5>May 04, 2010, 2:02AM</H5>

cunninghamtojpg-cbed85d44559cb70_large.jpg

Thomas Ondrey / The Plain DealerSt. Edward's Seth Cunningham, left, has run the 100-meter dash in 10.77 seconds this season, which is among the fastest times in the state this spring, according to the milesplit.us Web site. CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As he barrels across the finish line 15 meters ahead of the nearest runner, Seth Cunningham looks like "USA" should be scrawled across his chest, not the gold St. Edward "E."

Cunningham is built like a Team USA sprinter, not a typical, skinny-armed high school kid. Mellon-sized biceps hang from expansive shoulders. Powerful thighs severely challenge the elastic of his track singlet. When standing near the finish line, the first thought is, "That train needs a whistle."

"I didn't know that many muscles could move that fast," marveled Mentor junior Colton Wallace at the Mentor Relays last weekend.

Cunningham (6-1, 180 pounds) has that rare combination of speed and power, and it didn't just happen by sheer luck. He spends two hours in the weight room after every track practice, doing things like bench pressing 225 pounds 10 times.

But while all that sinew has served him well on the football field, where he'll play cornerback at the University of Akron this fall, it has not been his friend on the track. Running is ruled by the less visible but more surly hamstring. If it isn't stretched, soothed and well- maintained, the hammy bites like a junkyard dog.

Cunningham knows the feeling. He suffered hamstring injuries at the end of his freshman, sophomore and junior years. Last year, he won his 100-meter heat at the state meet, but pulled his hamstring and was done.

"It was disappointing," said Cunningham, who lives in Medina. "This year I'm concentrating on flexibility more and stretching more."

So far, the results have been superb. Cunningham has run the 100 in 10.77 seconds and the 200 in 21.48, which are among the fastest times in Ohio this spring, according to the milesplit.us Web site. He also was hand-timed 10.38 in the 100.

Cunningham will run the 100, 200 and 4x100 and 4x200 relays at the district and beyond. One of the runners he's chasing is former teammate Latwan Anderson, who transferred to Glenville before the 2009 track season.

"It's always a rivalry. Me and Latwan still are very, very close friends," Cunningham said.

Cunningham is serious about winning the 100 and 200, even if some observers have their doubts about either his hamstrings or beating Anderson.

"I think I have something to prove," he said. "My goal from day one was to win states in both the 100 and 200. A lot of people say I can't do it, but I love that because I want to prove them wrong."
isn't it "strange" that such a phenomenal athlete is relegated to playing at such a relatively low-profile program? i thought coaches like those in the SEC coveted speed ... apparently they just covet black speed, as we here at CF (and the facts in the real world) show time and time again.
smiley7.gif