Ricky Rubio

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Spanish guard Ricky Rubio is being compared to Pistol Pete Maravich for his unreal and flashy playmaking ability and is listed as the best Euro guard prospect since Drazen Petrovic. He's projected as the 4th pick in 2009 after fellow white man SF Kyle Singler at #3 and white center BJ Mullens at #2. Mullens will be Greg Oden's successor at Ohio State. In fact 5 of the top 9 in 2009 are projected to be white. It's still a little early to get our hopes up though. Does anyone have any early insider's info on Rubio?

Nbadraft.net profile:
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/rickyrubio.html

Youtube.com video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7xVT5tWBIEdited by: ToughJ.Riggins

From Draftexpress.com -- check it out, lots of Euro coverage, way better
than nbadraft.net -- "Theo Papaloukas was this season the single only
player able to eventually make Ricky Rubio look like a teenager on
defense." ... Theo is the consensus best player in Europe, and he's 30,
Ricky's 16.

Here's Draft Express' Rubio archive, 10 articles deep ...

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=1155

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have subscriptions to Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News and one of them(I forget which one) just did a nice article on Ricky Rubio and he is often compared to a Nash/ Maravich. I expect to see him in the NBA lottery next year. The hype on this guy is amazing for a 17 year old.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
This guy is beyond his age in the way he plays! Just think how many White kids in the U.S. could be jsut as good if they were given the chance and encouraged.

G

Being a foreigner is a basketball blessing for this kid. If Ricky Rubio was an American, he would be cycling through the high school basketball circuits, getting ignored in favor of "superior athletes." He certainly wouldn't be making international news, playing pro, or playing on his national team.

Whites are plenty capable of basketball wizardry, but it usually comes after getting better and better through the years, by the few singular guys who absolutely refuse to give up and who get a lucky break every now and then. Fewer White athletes get that chance because of the focus on freak size, freak "athleticism" and precocious physical development.

We need a developmental league for Whites in America to allow the continued skill and physical development of White players until they reach they physical and skill peaks, in their mid to late 20s.Basically, that is what the club system does in Europe. The club system can also elevate precocious Whites (like Ricky) directly to the pro level without passing through the "discrimination-filter" of the affirmative action-based college scholarship system. Edited by: 89Glory

guest301

Hall of Famer
I agree with you about whites being just as capable at basketball wizardry as anybody else. Pistol Pete Maravich and Steve Nash are perfect examples of that. Maybe we need a white version of the Harlem Globetrotters to tour the world, we can call them the Beverly Hills Globetrotters.
smiley2.gif

G

Great idea, G301!And they can make fools of a dumb all-black team called the Ghetto Generals.

JReb1

Mentor
PTI went off on Rubio saying he's overrated and joked that he couldn't even start on his weak Euro team so how can he play in the NBA. They also said Ricky hasn't done anything since the Gold Medal game.

Rubio has had a rough year, but a move to the NBA may help his career. He sounds like Jason Kidd. Not the best shooter but a great passer and ball handler with a good defensive game.

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
Rubio's creativity and passing ability is amazing, I hope he transitions well to the NBA.

Timberwolves may also draft an international big man the next draft, likely allowing them to start three all-star caliber whites. Could you imagine a line up of Vesley/Love/Rubio? I would love to see that team lead the way to a ring.

Vesely has been compared to Tom Chambers. He sounds promising. Not sure who picks him though.
The T-Wolves are more likely to take Enes Kanter. Vesely might then go to Toronto at 5 or Washington at 6.

But yeah, I want to see Rubio. Hopefully his game translates well. The league needs more pass-first point guards with flair. Hopefully he watches a lot of Jason Kidd's tapes.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Rubio was named Western Conference rookie of the month for January.

Ricky currently ranks fifth among rookies in scoring (11.4 ppg) and first in assists (8.9 apg) and steals (2.24 spg).

additionally, here is an interesting report that reveals just how coolly confident the young Spaniard is. the link reveals a recent light-hearted exchange between Rubio and Kobe Bryant, wherein Rubio tells Bryant that Team USA won't be going home with the Gold at the next Olympics.

aside from blowing the mind of the author of the article (apparently Rubio shouldn't think he belongs on the same floor as Bryant), it's a nice snapshot of how strongly the rookie feels about his game.

here's hoping his words ring true, and El Conquistador (my trademarked nickname!) reigns supreme.

northwinds

Mentor
"To Rubio, Bryant isn't a stranger or a celebrity; he's just a talented older player, as approachable as any other opponent"

OMG.....I wish we had more American born whites who had his attitude.....I'm lovin' this kid

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I like Rubio's game. He looks to pass, he's smooth, and he has flair.
His style reminds me of Pete Maravich. Very smooth with the ball. Not herky-jerky like most players. And some amazing passes.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Interesting stat on Rubio. He's tied with Chris Paul for the NBA lead in rebounds by a PG at 4.7/game, if I read correctly. He's also tied for 4th in assists at 8.3/game and 2nd in steals at 2.81/game. He seems to be just lacking in 1 area. He's only 23, let's not give up quite yet.

I don't think he has to score 20/game, he just needs to shoot a little better for average and get around 15/16. If he could average just 6 or 7 more points a game, it would make a lot of difference!

Minnesota is 0-8 when failing to score 100 points. The worst in the league. They lost to Dallas 3 days ago 100-98. A couple of extra points here and there, you never know.

Minnesota is currently 16-16. If they could have won just half those games, they'd be sitting at 20-12 and better positioning for a playoff run!

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Interesting stat on Rubio. He's tied with Chris Paul for the NBA lead in rebounds by a PG at 4.7/game, if I read correctly. He's also tied for 4th in assists at 8.3/game and 2nd in steals at 2.81/game. He seems to be just lacking in 1 area. He's only 23, let's not give up quite yet.

I don't think he has to score 20/game, he just needs to shoot a little better for average and get around 15/16. If he could average just 6 or 7 more points a game, it would make a lot of difference!

Minnesota is 0-8 when failing to score 100 points. The worst in the league. They lost to Dallas 3 days ago 100-98. A couple of extra points here and there, you never know.

Minnesota is currently 16-16. If they could have won just half those games, they'd be sitting at 20-12 and better positioning for a playoff run!

My apologies, they just updated the NBA stats, Tyreke Evans is the NBA leader in rebounds by a PG at 4.9. Rubio is tied for second.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Carolina Speed said:
Minnesota is 0-8 when failing to score 100 points. The worst in the league.

i've not watched them play this year, but if i recall what i've read correctly the T'wolves are also 0-8 in games decided by 4 points or less. that's also worst in the league.

it appears that they are very close to being an upper echelon team. VERY close.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes Jimmy they are very close to being an elite team. One problem which hasn't been touched on much is that for some reason(they are called for fouling alot) and this hurts them in close games. Alot of stereotypes go into this. The whistle blowing at crucial times of games can pretty much determine the outcome of a close game in basketball or football. Regrardless, they have to start winning the close ones. At least half or 2/3 of them if they are going to make the playoffs. They have a tough game tommorow. I hope they can finally get over 500.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
If anyone watched last nights game between Minnesota and Indiana, they'll know why Ricky Rubio will be a very good if not a great NBA player before his career ends. Rubio is simply a magician with the basketball. No, he's not an elite scorer yet, but handles the ball as well as anyone in the league.

Rubio is currently tied for the league lead in steals, 2.54/game, is the best rebounding point guard in the NBA at 4.7/game, and is 5th in assists at 8.5/game. In last nights game Rubio had 16 assists and 6 rebounds.

The only thing keeping Rubio from being the best PG in the NBA is his ability to score. While shooting 81% from the free throw line, Rubio struggles from the floor at 36%! He either needs to work on his shot more and or get to the line more often. He currently averages around 9 points a game. This lack of scoring is keeping him from being the best PG in the league, but more importantly keeping Minnesota from being one of the best teams in the NBA as well as keeping Kevin Love from staying in Minnesota!!!!

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Correction my friend. He had 17 assists but I get the point. He is amazing with the basketball. He sees the floor so good. Similar to Nash in his prime. Now if he can only become the shooter that Steve Nash is. Nash worked hard from his days in college at Santa Clara to the Nba. While in college Nash even helped Santa Clara upset the U of A Wildcats in the NCAA Tournament. Talk about March Madness! The team looked like a bunch of surfer dudes and they won with ease. You couldn't guard Nash as he could beat you off the dribble, nail a shot from anywhere or carve you up with his pin point passes. Nash won back to back NBA MVP Awards. Many people here forget that.

Rubio can be the same type player with hard work. Shooting is nothing but repetition. In time he can become a good shooter. Jason Kidd was a below par shooter for over half his career but learned to shoot the rock in his older years. I think Ricky Rubio will get his shooting touch down quicker. At least that is my hope. One trick is to practice shooting on a smaller basket. Many guys have really improved their accuracy by doing so. Great game by Rubio. He is fun to watch!

icsept

Master
I'm sure Rubio is being coached up and working on his shooting. His form looks fine, and he's a pretty good free throw shooter, so I'm not sure what's the problem. His jump shot is typically too flat, it's on the rim but not pure. He shoots more of a set shot from three. Anyway, I see his 3 pt shot gradually improving through the years - sort of a Magic Johnson good enough to make you pay in critical situations or if you leave him open. His mid-range jumper has to improve through tireless repetition practice. I like to see him continue to drive to the hoop even if he doesn't finish, love and pek can clean it up. Rubio is my favorite player to watch in the NBA -(until Fredette gets set free.). He's a pure point guard with good size, speed, and ball-handling. His passing is the best in the league. He's very competitive with great anticipation and instincts which result in high quantities of steals and rebounds. He's still very young.