Obesity Rates Climbing Ever Higher

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
34.4% of Mississippi adults, 26.7% of all US adults are obese, according to a new study. These numbers are all new highs as now only Colorado has an adult obesity rate of less than 20%. Here's another article on the same survey. Although blacks and hispanics are on average more obese than Whites, we still have a problem as well.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I have noticed more and more people are actually exercising these days. When I walk my dog in the morning I see many other people walking or running around the park. Ten years ago it was a lot less. The problem with this is that none of these people are actually losing any weight. It's the same thing at my gym. I've seen the same people for years and they haven't lost an ounce of weight. Working out does nothing if you don't eat right.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WA33, you're right on the money regarding the importance of diet. It holds more "influence" on results for older folks (whose metabolism has decreased) or those who've not exercised for long periods. Early on, diet is about 65-80%+ of the overall results (weight loss). As one's body becomes acclimated to the (new) diet & exercise...exercise begins taking more priority (in overall results). I've found my issue has been "consistency" in diet (as it's fallen down my priority list...since getting married & having young'ernz).
smiley9.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I used to eat a lot of junk food. Now I give myself one cheat day a week. On that day I'll eat whatever I want. The other 6 days of the week it's hard boiled eggs, chicken breast, lots of salad, and of course fruits.