Marbury Blog

j41181

Master
Ex-NBAer's blog from China (where he's playing at the moment).

http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball.asp?blog=32

"Playing basketball overseas was an eye opener for me. I was pleased with seeing how knowledgeable the fans were. I think the game will continue to change in a positive direction as I believe more players will continue to play overseas from the NBA.
The NBA is different from playing in any other league. The reason I say that is a couple of reasons.
1) all of the players that play in the NBA are the ones that were the best players at the schools that they played for.
2) the teachings are different because of the people who played whom are teaching the players that played in the NBA.
In time I believe playing across the water will become an event such as the NBA is one. I really enjoyed playing in China as I got a chance to experience the desires of players who wanted to be the best at what they love to do and, that's play basketball.
I believe in my heart that the game will become a global icon for all to see in the next decade. I believe there will be a real world championship game where the winner from the NBA championship will play the winner of the team that wins the overseas championship. Euro champs or so on. This will be like the Olympics but a more exclusive style stage that people all over the globe will invest their time and efforts to be apart of. I think that's what the game should come to after being in so many different places across the water.
I have been traveling to play overseas since I was 15 years old. I have enjoyed playing basketball against the players that I have played against because they want it just as bad as I do.
I think the fans all across the world deserve to see the people that they love play against the people that they are shown to love on TV. The game is changing and the world is ready for the game to be a global game that everyone should be able to prepared for at the beginning of the season.
The things that I had to adjust to living in China, were small but big if that makes any sense LoL.. The language and the food were my biggest hurdles. Not being able to speak Chinese was hard because I felt like I had to speak through other people to allow others to know how I felt. It was something different but that drew me closer to my translator. It allowed me to be a bit more eager to learn the language which I tried. I picked up the words that I needed to learn but obvious not enough.
The food was a challenge because I wasn't used to eating the foods that they made. It was great to be able to try something new but when you are hungry you want to eat something that you are familiar with. I was able to find the food to my liking so it wasn't that bad. There were some cities that didn't serve western foods so I had to result to Mc Donalds or Kentucky fried chicken. But for the most part I was able to find the food that I wanted.
I guess that's the experience of being some where different.
Hearing the voice of the spirit is a privilege that the Bible says belongs to every believer??"

IMHO, International basketball has indeed gotten better over the last 8 years. But, the NBA will never allow itself to get too global. Due to it's inherent drive to remain an American, and Negro institution. To them (NBA), a couple of Euros and Asians is enough to make them global. The NBA should've been 30% foreign at this point. Edited by: j41181