Gene doping and the death of humanity

Riddlewire

Master
Ok, that was an overly dramatic title. And probably heavily misleading. But it is, more or less, what this article is about.
Link
Before I even started to read this article, the first thing I thought of was "Beijing 2008". I fully expect to see some oddball victories from Chinese and Korean athletes (and probably Japs, too) at the next Olympic games. I know there are plenty of fans on this board of the recently successful Asian track athletes (Xiang, etc.), but I haven't bought it. Too much, too soon.
Although the article is more generic, and doesn't focus on any nation, just the scientists.
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I actually think an Asian runner might break 10 seconds for the 100 meter sprint before a white man does it.

In 2007 Japanese runners' best times were superior to the best white clockings in the short sprint.

Clearly there is nothing inherently special about the Asian physique relative to whites that accounts for their achievements, so either they're training harder, or their guys are more into sprinting than white guys are, or we whites haven't found our white hope yet, or maybe they're cheating.

Anyway I'd like for another non-African to do well in sprinting, even if he's Asian. It's good for blasting stereotypes.

I hope neither they nor white runners stoop to cheating to achieve things, though.

GiovaniMarcon said:
I actually think an Asian runner might break 10 seconds for the 100 meter sprint before a white man does it.

In 2007 Japanese runners' best times were superior to the best white clockings in the short sprint.

Clearly there is nothing inherently special about the Asian physique relative to whites that accounts for their achievements, so either they're training harder, or their guys are more into sprinting than white guys are, or we whites haven't found our white hope yet, or maybe they're cheating.

Anyway I'd like for another non-African to do well in sprinting, even if he's Asian. It's good for blasting stereotypes.

I hope neither they nor white runners stoop to cheating to achieve things, though.

Or maybe it's just the sheer numbers. There are like 2-2.5 billion Asians to 1 billion whites, at most.